Test Drove a New Art-Deco Carroll Bb/F

A very good friend of mine just took delivery of a new Wally Carrol Art-Deco Bb/F and I must say, it's one of the most amazing instruments I've ever played.

His is #85, nearly identical to this one:

http://carrollconcertinas.com/64.html

We spent most of an evening playing tunes, with me on the new Carroll, my friend playing Uilleann pipes in C. I was absolutely impressed with the instrument. It's smaller than Wally's standard model (5 5/8" vs. 6 1/4" across the flats), never thought my standard size C/G Carroll would seem big, but it was very odd going back to the C/G after the Bb/F.

The Bb/F has a wonderful, deep full tone, quick and exceptionally quiet action, and a wide range of operating pressures and volumes.

I just didn't want to put it down, spent another hour playing it the following day.

Edited by eskin

A very good friend of mine just took delivery of a new Wally Carrol Art-Deco Bb/F and I must say, it's one of the most amazing instruments I've ever played.

I believe it is this one:

http://carrollconcertinas.com/64.html

We spent most of an evening playing tunes, with me on the new Carroll, my friend playing Uilleann pipes in C. I was absolutely impressed with the instrument. It's smaller than Wally's standard model (5 5/8" vs. 6 1/4" across the flats), never thought my standard size C/G Carroll would seem big, but it was very odd going back to the C/G after the Bb/F.

The Bb/F has a wonderful, deep full tone, quick and exceptionally quiet action, and a wide range of operating pressures and volumes.

I just didn't want to put it down, spent another hour playing it the following day.

I briefly played a C/G when I stopped by the Noel Hill school in Kentucky last year to pick up a repaired concertina. I was totally blown away. I thought it would be strictly tailored to Irish playing, but it sounded great playing the heavily chorded English style, as well. I believe Wally is making the best concertinas in the world these days; if I wasn't a G/D kind of guy, I'd be on his waiting list.

I played the Bb/F on Saturday night after the Crawford/Vallely concert. It's really stunning to look at, the art deco design is just gorgeous. The size is perfect for someone with really small hands like myself. Picking

up my instrument was like going back to your mini-van after driving a sports car, lol. I thought the sound was really lovely as well. It still shocks me every time I play another type of concertina, how vastly different the sounds can be, after playing my honky Jeffries, but I liked it. A wonderful instrument, and I'm so glad I got the chance to play it.

Yes I have the small model Bf/F Art deco, and I love it. It pretty much completes my 'collection' of two concertinas, and will never ever need to buy a new one! I can't seem to get enough of those 'C' sessions!