Have I played this concertina before?

Quoting from another sub-forum:

(I can tell the cars apart. I used to drive an Austin Seven Ruby.)

Cheers,

John

Did you buy it new John ? ;)

Geoff,

I'm old, but not that old! The Ruby was 9 years older than myself, and I was 20 at the time, so she was almost 30 years old and definitely pre-owned.

But on the other hand, I felt so at ease in this automotive relic right from the start that I might well have been its first owner in a previous existence!

A propos ...

A lot of Cnetters have vintage concertinas that are at least a decade, and often several decades, older than themselves. Do any of you have the feeling that you're crossing the time-line of your newly acquired 1880s Wheatstone or 1920s Lachenal for the second time? That this always has been "your" concertina?

Or do you feel more like someone who is taking up the torch that was borne by the previous generation? And do you get the feeling that your vintage concertina is not a tabula rasa, but brings its own past into the new partnership with you?

Perhaps this thread would be better started in an esoteric forum, but for me, music is located on the same level of consciousness as spirituality, and I'm only talking about the concertina-related aspects of whaterver it is.;)

Cheers,

John

Other than my Jackie (I'm first owner), I have two concertinas, one vintage, one non-vintage (only 37 years old). They both feel "inherited" rather than, say, reclaimed from an earlier existence. I like that feeling of a something with prior use by others being passed down to me for my use, care, and then, one day, being passed along.

The oldest one (a nice little four-fold bellows, riveted brass reeds and a riveted action) has a Salvation Army sticker in the oval where the maker's label would be. It has a beautiful sound and a nice action. It's clearly been around, well-maintained but not pristine by any means. It shows that's it's been played, and I like that.

By other is a newly acquired Aeola from the late period, 1974. I'm not sure I'll keep it, but I like that it has the old owner's name and address in the box. If I keep it, I'll add my name as the current owner, but I think I'll keep the previous (I don't know if he was the original) owner's name there. Sort of like a genealogy.

This might be more reverie than you wanted, but here it is. I won't get started on how I feel when I see a 1950 Oldsmobile!

I have never felt that a Concertina was being returned to me from a previous life... more the second option, that it arrrives in my hands with the memory of the music it played before....... However, the Pipes in my Avatar picture came to me in such an odd way and in such an unlikely place that it felt that it was meant to be, that they were sent to me by the spirits of those that went before. If that spirit involvement has anything to do with a previous existence I'm sure I cannot tell but it feels as if I was the original owner or the maker.

The down side to this "magic arrival' has been somewhat like selling ones soul to the Devil in that I have spent the rest of my time trying to make a set of pipes that is as good as them. Maybe those that have very fine old Concertinas might feel the need to try to play them as well the original owners ?

Of course we, as the current custodians of these, sometimes ireplaceable, instruments should remember that we are just that... the present keepers. Whilst there are certain models of Concertina being newly produced today there are other types that are not and might never be made again. I do not suggest they should be preserved by 'mothballing'.. they are musical instruments and used for the purpose of making music. Whilst it will take a lifetime of playing to wear out a decent instrument it would be nice to think of passing it (them) on to the next generations.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Or do you feel more like someone who is taking up the torch that was borne by the previous generation? And do you get the feeling that your vintage concertina is not a tabula rasa, but brings its own past into the new partnership with you?

Definitely this. A couple of times over the years I have given on this forum my opinion that we do not "own" these instruments, we are their guardians and custodians as well as their players, and we have a duty to look after them for those who play them after us. I definitely feel part of a chain. My Dipper baritone has my initials worked into the scrollwork on one end. I like the idea of my mark on the instrument going forward into the future. I also write inside (in pencil, and lightly!) my name and the date I acquired the concertina, so that those who play it further along the line have at least that insight into its past.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

we are their guardians and custodians as well as their players, and we have a duty to look after them for those who play them after us. I definitely feel part of a chain.

I also feel part of a chain that commenced with the skilled crafts people who made and assembled the instruments as well as those players who've loved and played their instruments before us. If only our instruments could speak to us, what stories they might have to tell.

I feel it's a shame to see instruments be broken, neglected, unloved and unplayed - this is why I'm motivated to restore and bring instruments back to life - once again they can be played and bring enjoyment. And there is pleasure to be derived from playing an instrument for the first time after many years languishing in neglect.

It's strange that each instrument appears to have its own personality. Every instrument has a slightly different sound and character. This only becomes apparent once and instrument has been restored and played for some time after completion of restoration.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

I certainly feel that there are tunes that my concertina knows (even if I don't). It often surprises me by cheerfully (and almost competently) playing along to a tune that I've never even heard before.

It also has likes and displikes, that sometimes differ from my own!

Chris

'I certainly feel that there are tunes that my concertina knows'

I wish mine didsad.gif

If my Joseph Scates concertina knew music from its past I would be very happy - as I believe it to have belonged to Linda Scates (concert pianist, concertinist & daughter of Joseph) - only circumstantial evidence - but strong nevertherless

chris

I certainly feel that there are tunes that my concertina knows (even if I don't). It often surprises me by cheerfully (and almost competently) playing along to a tune that I've never even heard before.

It also has likes and displikes, that sometimes differ from my own!

Chris

that reminds me of a concert I saw some years ago with Will Duke and Dan Quinn.. Will Duke's concertina was formerly owned by Scan Tester.

When they were playing a set of Scan tester's tunes, Dan Quinn on melodeon had a false start.

Looking at Will Duke, he said : "it's alright for him - his concertina knows these tunes, my melodeon has to learn them!"

- John Wild