Nice Jeffries on ebay

Paul Read

Looks unspoilt.

I wouldn't be so sure of that Paul, seeing that the original ivory buttons have been replaced with metal ones, and the printed gold papers covered with black ones. But it wasn't done yesterday...

Stephen,

it is in keeping with your reputation as the Wizard of Kilkee, but inquiring minds need to know, how can you tell it once had ivory buttons...

Chris

Looks unspoilt.

I wouldn't be so sure of that Paul, seeing that the original ivory buttons have been replaced with metal ones, and the printed gold papers covered with black ones. But it wasn't done yesterday...

Stephen,

it is in keeping with your reputation as the Wizard of Kilkee, but inquiring minds need to know, how can you tell it once had ivory buttons...

I've never seen a Jeffries anglo with metal buttons, so they could have been replaced or capped. But originally, ivory or bone? That is the question.

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Looks unspoilt.
Stephen, it is in keeping with your reputation as the Wizard of Kilkee, but inquiring minds need to know, how can you tell it once had ivory buttons...

I've never seen a Jeffries anglo with metal buttons, so they could have been replaced or capped. But originally, ivory or bone? That is the question.

Chris

I've seen a number of Jeffries Anglos with metal buttons = several are pictured in this recent thread. But I'd like to know the answer to Chris G.'s question too: how could Stephen tell that these particular metal buttons are not original? Is it because they're too small for their holes?

... originally, ivory or bone? That is the question.

I've never seen a Jeffries that I thought had bone buttons, they always appear to be ivory.

... I'd like to know the answer to Chris G.'s question too: how could Stephen tell that these particular metal buttons are not original? Is it because they're too small for their holes?

:lol:

Firstly, I've only ever seen mahogany cases (such as this one has) with ivory-buttoned Jeffries instruments, whilst the older metal-buttoned ones were in hexagonal leather cases. Also, original metal buttons of this vintage are of a very small diameter, almost like knitting needles.

I guess I've seen a lot more Jeffries concertinas in their original cases (or what was left of them) than most people... :rolleyes: