The Maestro B55 Model

Hello Forum members.

I'm a newbie and looking for a decent English style box for learning. I see on eBay a "Maestro B55" advertised with starting bids around $250 USD.

Have any of you had experience with this model and is it one of the Chinese versions ? I asked the seller what was the model and where made but only he only replied with "Maestro B55"

Also, most advice I get re my first concertina is to buy the best concertina I can afford even as a learning student. I appreciate the value of a good musical instrument, but to pay a couple of thousand bucks to learn on just didn't seem the best strategy. Has anyone regretted starting out with the cheaper models?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm a newbie also. I would suggest to get the best you can afford, because it will hold it's value. I would suggest to get one from a reputable source. On eBay you may get one that needs extensive repairs. Don't take a chance, it's a recipe for disappointment. I recently bought mine from Greg Jowaisas, here in this forum. He's so reputable and a really great guy, located in Kentucky. You can be sure it will be in perfect working order, and his prices are right. Look in the members list and send him an email, that's what I did, after recommendations. I got a 26 button Anglo Jones. It's fabulous! He has English also, and a lot of different price ranges. He will answer immediately and you will be very happy that you got in touch with him. I promise!

Linda

Hello Forum members.

I'm a newbie and looking for a decent English style box for learning. I see on eBay a "Maestro B55" advertised with starting bids around $250 USD.

Have any of you had experience with this model and is it one of the Chinese versions ? I asked the seller what was the model and where made but only he only replied with "Maestro B55"

Also, most advice I get re my first concertina is to buy the best concertina I can afford even as a learning student. I appreciate the value of a good musical instrument, but to pay a couple of thousand bucks to learn on just didn't seem the best strategy. Has anyone regretted starting out with the cheaper models?

Bill

It's probably a generic Chinese concertina - they're sold under many names. If so, I think that you'd be much better off with a Jackie from Concertina Connection for $365 including shipping.

Hi Bill,

The buying advice is good, but hard to follow.

Concertinas are not like cars. If you buy a quality box it will continue to be worth what you paid for it (broadly speaking) and may even appreciate. So in theory you could sell it for what you paid, and if you're knowledgeable that is quite achievable.

But you're not knowledgeable, dealers will want their cut, etc, so your outcome may not be quite that good.

However, the other end - buy a cheap box and be prepared to scrap it - is bad news. It can be done, but cheap boxes are not generally nice to play or listen to, so it could kill your interest. And you won't get much for the box.

There are mid range boxes that are OK to play, will have a resale value - not 100% if you buy new, of course, and will make you appreciate a better box but keep you going until you know (or can afford) what you want. You may take a modest hit when you upgrade, or sell up, but you'd maybe take a bigger hit on a more expensive box even if proportionately it looks better.

That's the route I took. I will lose some money when I sell my first box, but I will have had the use and pleasure from it and I won't lose a fortune. The suggested Concertina Connection range would be a good starting point.

However, I know nothing about Maestro B55s! Could you post a link?

Malcolm

There is a couple of Chinese-looking English boxes on Ebay USA for around $250. My view would be that if you were able to have a go with one, felt comfortable and it fitted your budget, well it isn't a fortune.

I would think twice about buying a "no-name" concertina unseen and untried by mail order from a distant seller unless I was willing to forget about the warranty and fix it myself if it broke. Even good quality boxes can get teething troubles from new.

For what it's worth

Malcolm

I appreciate the value of a good musical instrument, but to pay a couple of thousand bucks to learn on just didn't seem the best strategy. Has anyone regretted starting out with the cheaper models?

Bill,

I started with a cheap German Anglo many, many moons ago. It was all I could get back then in the 1960s, before Ebay and online shops and Chinese imports. I had a lot of fun with it, and when I got the opportunity to buy a more expensive instrument, I knew the investment would be worth it for me.

One thing about the concertina - any variety - is that its button arrangement is quirky. If you bowse this forum, you'll find that some people can't get their minds round the push-pull of the Anglo, whereas others can't come to terms with adjacent notes being on opposite ends of the English. The cheapest model of the respective system will give you the chance to find out whether the system suits you, and you can be sure that a higher-level model of the same system will be easier to play and will sound better.

Of course, the best start with the concertina is if your Grandpa dies and leaves you his top-end Wheatstone or Jeffries in his will - but few of us are that lucky!

I remember when I decided to learn the guitar, I borrowed one from a friend and followed a series of folk guitar lessons on BBC TV. After that, I knew it was worthwhile buying a good guitar of my own. But friends with concertinas are few and far between, compared with friends with guitars.:(

So a cheap concertina for starters is OK, OMHO.:D

Cheers,

John

Hello Forum members.

Bill

I started out on cheap boxes and have no real horror stories to tell. That said, I would recommend that you went for one of the Concertina Connection learner boxes if you can afford it. They're a lot better than the basic Chinese imports, will take you further before you find the need to upgrade, and will retain a higher percentage of their value if you look to resell. Concertina Connection and some dealers also offer upgrade paths if you buy the beginner instrument through them.

Hi Bill,

I'm a newbie also. I would suggest to get the best you can afford, because it will hold it's value. I would suggest to get one from a reputable source. On eBay you may get one that needs extensive repairs. Don't take a chance, it's a recipe for disappointment. I recently bought mine from Greg Jowaisas, here in this forum. He's so reputable and a really great guy, located in Kentucky. You can be sure it will be in perfect working order, and his prices are right. Look in the members list and send him an email, that's what I did, after recommendations. I got a 26 button Anglo Jones. It's fabulous! He has English also, and a lot of different price ranges. He will answer immediately and you will be very happy that you got in touch with him. I promise!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Well, your suggestion to contact Greg was excellent advice. I did and as you said, I heard back from him immediately. I am planning to buy a 48 button english box from him as soon as I can arrange my finances and sell some stuff. I was greatly impressed with his suggestions and responses to my basic questions and echo your favorable referral for anyone needing similar advice.

Thanks, again,

Bill

To All,

Thank you very much for all suggestions; you have been most helpful and I feel confident to spend more money for a better learning instrument. The eBay seller finally replied to me that the Maestro B55 is a Chineese manufactured box and I think I will not go that route.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Linda

Hi Linda,

Well, your suggestion to contact Greg was excellent advice. I did and as you said, I heard back from him immediately. I am planning to buy a 48 button english box from him as soon as I can arrange my finances and sell some stuff. I was greatly impressed with his suggestions and responses to my basic questions and echo your favorable referral for anyone needing similar advice.

Thanks, again,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi Bill,

Linda

Hi Linda,

Well, you are absolutely correct. Greg Jowaisas is a number one class act. Yesterday, I received my "new" Lachenal English 48 button box from him. He found a suitable case for it, overhauled, tuned, and shipped to me promptly when ready. Now, all I have to do is learn how to play it.

Thanks for the lead to this most professional concertina source. I just cannot endorse his products and services enough and really appreciate your recommendation.

Bill

You will never be sorry about dealing with Greg. If / when you want to move up he will find your next "box" for you and probably be pretty reasonable about an exchange program. Its a beautiful recycle system! He keeps all those mediocre ancient instruments running for all of us newbies. And I'm inclined to now think this is a better or certainly equal entrance-system with the Jack/Jackie system. I surely enjoyed the look and feel of using one of these aged insturment! Don't you just wonder sometimes what they've seen??