Ladies Vanity Case

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not a good idea to store your instruments end up. It causes the valves on the under side of the reed pan to hang open and away from the reed pan.

The result is odd effects and malfunctions in play.

Dave

Thanks for your concern Dave but they were put this way up just for this photo.

In addition to your comments in transit end up the fluff and particles trapped in the bellows would become dislodged and fall onto the reeds.Some of the old boxes were however made to carry the concertina end up.The original Crabb and Wheatstone boxes I have, are square shaped and the concertina lays flat.The old leather hexagonal boxes are not really suitable for the reasons suggested.

Al

[snip ... The old leather hexagonal boxes are not really suitable for the reasons suggested.

Al

I have a leather hexagonal box which I got with my Jeffries, and it has a handle on one of the six sides. It is a very tight fit for the concertina though, and in rather bad nick* so I don't use it.

Samantha

* bad condition, for our non-English speaking readers ...

The perfume smell is still there Helen and although I have cleaned the box out,I can still smell it.It is the sort of perfume that if you went to a party and was talking to a person wearing it, you would move on quickly to someone else.

Al

Oh too bad, Alan,

Maybe if you let a skunk sit in the box for a while.

Well c'mon, there are all kinds of remedies for skunk odors!

Still think it is a groovy box.

Helen

The perfume smell is still there....
...there are all kinds of remedies for skunk odors!

Maybe the same de-fumigation techniques that work for skunk odors would also work for perfume? I've heard that bathing in tomato juice is one of those. :unsure:

Oh good pun, Jim.

Al, there was a lengthy thread on getting rid of the smell of ... something... maybe boxes earlier in the forum. Did you try any of those methods?

Come to think of it, I think you submitted some methods. So I guess you have already tried everything.

Maybe you could have a contest. The person who submits the way that actually gets rid of, not masks, the perfume smell of your box - wins a poem written in their honor by you. Or whatever.

Helen

Hello,

To remove the smell, place something waterproof in the bottom of the box, slice up an apple and place the slices in the box. Close the cover. Leave them there for a day, then throw away the slices. Repeat if you can still detect the smell. I have seen this work on a car that a baby skunk died in. One application. It should work for the perfume smell, I would think.

Even if it doesn't work, it has the advantage of being cheap to try.

Thanks for the tip Russel I will try the apple remedy.I have never smelt a dead baby skunk, but I think most of it`s ingrediants were used in the manufacture of this perfume.

I wonder what the TV advert for it`s sale would be like at Christmas can you imagine the models face as she puts it on and what would it be called ?

Al

Edited to say cheers Jim ,very clever.

Edited by Alan Day