Wakker Hayden Duet

SqueezeCat

It looks like it's got the Hayden-prescribed angle to me, but I'm not sure either.

Now if I only had a spare $4000 sitting around somewhere...

t's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like this may be one of the ones Wim is making with the rows of buttons parallel to the hand rests, rather than at the angle Hayden prescribes. But 2007 may be a bit early for that.

it looks like this may be one of the ones Wim is making with the rows of buttons parallel to the hand rests, rather than at the angle Hayden prescribes. But 2007 may be a bit early for that.

Yes, definitely too early. This one was made about the same time as mine, and has the Hayden slant, as mine does.

Well, the bidding has finished, and it went for about $4000 USD. Considering that Wim lists his new ones at $5875.00 (with a wait of 2 - 3 years), someone got a nice deal. Not a steal, but a nice deal.

That is DEFINITELY a matter of opinion. I'd say it was a ridiculous amount of money for a duet of limited range. Sometimes it gets tiresome watching you Hayden people getting excited about this sort of stuff. My 81 aeola, a superb instrument but by no means a rarity, cost slightly less recently and goes down to the C 2 octaves below middle C.

In my cynical moments I do wonder if the reason modern makers favour Hayden duets is to get their punters well on the hook for another sale.

Well, the bidding has finished, and it went for about $4000 USD. Considering that Wim lists his new ones at $5875.00 (with a wait of 2 - 3 years), someone got a nice deal. Not a steal, but a nice deal.

That is DEFINITELY a matter of opinion. I'd say it was a ridiculous amount of money for a duet of limited range. Sometimes it gets tiresome watching you Hayden people getting excited about this sort of stuff. My 81 aeola, a superb instrument but by no means a rarity, cost slightly less recently and goes down to the C 2 octaves below middle C.

In my cynical moments I do wonder if the reason modern makers favour Hayden duets is to get their punters well on the hook for another sale.

I certainly agree with Dirge that vintage duets, particularly MacCanns are presently the bargains of the concertina world.

What we need is an advocate, a person who can clearly explain, extol and demonstrate the advantages of the MacCann layout. Perhaps a DNA recombinant of Alexander Prince, Robert Gaskins and Usher!

Or perhaps Dirge is ready to learn a few Justin Bieber songs and moves in preparation for the Dirge MacCann world promotion tour? :D

Well, this is rather nasty. Faced with this situation I myself am in the process of attempting to switch from Hayden to Crane - but Greg is right that what's going on here is that vintage duets are great deals, selling for far less than the cost of building one today. That hasn't been the case for vintage Anglos for a long time, and it's less true for Englishes than it used to be. Modern makers don't make or very rarely make Cranes or Maccanns because they can't compete with the vintage market, not because they're trying to take advantage of us.

Needlessly bitchy this. Sorry you Haydenites.

Justin Bieber

Who?

I'll look it up on YouTube. Erm, sometime...is this sort of blissful ignorance an advantage of not having children?

If you are successful with duplicating his (Justin Bieber's) repertoire and appeal be prepared to be chased down the street by screaming 10 and 11 year old girls! :lol:

Perhaps a Tom Jones type effect is what we are looking for? :rolleyes: More compatible with the vintage Morgans that Dirge also loves.

Greg

You know, if one wants to be a bit hard, It seems to me that it's the Anglophiles who are paying much too much for their instruments, not the poor Haydenites.

I mean, what good is an instrument that doesn't play the same note on the blow as the draw? Heck - I wouldn't give two cents ( or a demi quaver for that matter) for such a system.

Duet players unite! Throw off the shackles of the oppressors! Rejoice in the left hand arpeggio -

and so says all of me.

Best - Ed

You know, if one wants to be a bit hard, It seems to me that it's the Anglophiles who are paying much too much for their instruments, not the poor Haydenites.

I mean, what good is an instrument that doesn't play the same note on the blow as the draw? Heck - I wouldn't give two cents ( or a demi quaver for that matter) for such a system.

Duet players unite! Throw off the shackles of the oppressors! Rejoice in the left hand arpeggio -

and so says all of me.

Best - Ed

Demi-quaver?

My ancient musical education remembers a semi-quaver and a demi-semi quaver. Did I miss one?.

Look out, thread drift ahead! :ph34r:

Edited by saguaro_squeezer

Or perhaps Dirge is ready to learn a few Justin Bieber songs and moves in preparation for the Dirge MacCann world promotion tour? :D

As long as Dirge would be willing to share the limelight with the likes of Steve Laycock or Paul McCann on Crane! Where do I get tickets? :lol:

Actually, it's Tim Laycock, Rod. :) And why Paul McCann plays Crane duet, is a bit of a mystery. With a surname like that, you'd think there would be some nominative determinism there!

Chris

As long as Dirge would be willing to share the limelight with the likes of Steve Laycock or Paul McCann on Crane! Where do I get tickets? :lol:

Actually, it's Tim Laycock, Rod. :) And why Paul McCann plays Crane duet, is a bit of a mystery. With a surname like that, you'd think there would be some nominative determinism there!

Chris

And so goes my attempt at name dropping, Chris. Where's that red-faced emoticon when you need it? I'm hoping to get TIM's latest CD for Christmas if my wife will oblige me. I am sure Paul would have a humorous response for his choice of systems, though.

Edited by saguaro_squeezer

Perhaps a Tom Jones type effect is what we are looking for? :rolleyes: More compatible with the vintage Morgans that Dirge also loves.

Greg

I'm going for the Percy Honri effect...exactly in period with the Morgans.

And why Paul McCann plays Crane duet, is a bit of a mystery. With a surname like that, you'd think there would be some nominative determinism there!

Chris,

Nominative determinism doesn't seem to be all that effective.

Take me, for instance.

My real name is John E. Dallas - like the London maker of zither-banjos, musical publicist and inventor of the JEDcertina. But my zither-banjo is a WIndsor, and my duet concertina is a Lachenal Crane.

I did bid for an JEDcertina on eBay once, but it went for more than I was prepared to pay. And I was tempted to bid for a Dallas classic banjo, but there was a high-end Windsor zither-banjo on eBay at the same time, and I took that.

Blood may be thicker than water, but names aren't!

Cheers,

John