50th Sidmouth The Last?

I understand that Sidmouth Council has pulled the plug on sponsoring the Folk Festival at Sidmouth and that this could be the last.

I am amazed at this action,a councellor many years ago voted the Festival out and there was an outcry,many of the town traders rely on the festival to provide income in this small seaside town.What a disaster if this stopped probably the best Folk Festival in the UK.

Al :(

I agree, Alan.

However, I suspect that common sense will prevail and a compromise will be reached. It better, I can't go this year.

Could be a bit of brinkmanship going on here. Anyone with an inside ear? - probably someone well balanced perhaps?

Paul

Could be a bit of brinkmanship going on here.  Anyone with an inside ear?

Not me, but I do think that Mrs Casey Music, the outfit that runs the festival, are a thoroughly commercial company. So I would suspect you're right.

Not wishing to sound complacent, but if the official festival closed I reckon most of the unofficial events would continue, and it wouldn't be long before someone (maybe EFDSS again) picked up the torch. We shall see.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

I understand that Sidmouth Council has pulled the plug on sponsoring the Folk Festival at Sidmouth....

Just what does "sponsorship" consist of? Most non-British European festivals that I know of have corporate sponsors -- breweries tend to be prominent among these -- though some do also get funds from the local town. But few involve a major portion of the town the way British festivals (at least those I've attended) do. Most American festivals, on the other hand, tend to be independent, financially break-even (if they expect to continue) enterprises, which need to obtain a permit from the local establishment, operate within closed (fenced) grounds outside the town center, and charge vendors a fee to set up and sell on the grounds, as well as charging attendees an entrance fee.

Though I doubt that I could be of assistance beyond writing a letter, I would be interested in learning the details of both the politics and governmental structure involved. E.g., how many members comprise the Sidmouth Council and how often do they come up for reelection? Who outside the Council is/has been either opposed to the Festival or opposed to supporting it? How much support has the Council provided in the past, and of what sort (direct financial aid vs. increased police and santitation requirements)? Can it really be that this has happened with no advance warning? To what extent is there -- or is there not -- local protest over the decision? Etc.

...a councellor many years ago voted the Festival out...

This statement really puzzles me. Can a single councellor really vote it out?

...there was an outcry,many of the town traders rely on the festival to provide income in this small seaside town.

Let's hope this happens again. It seems strange that a tradition of such long standing and in which both local merchants and other local residents enthusiastically participate could be cancelled by the Council, especially without anyone being aware in advance of the effort. It's as if the Blackpool Council had sold The Tower for scrap.

Councils generally don't do strange things like this unless someone stands to gain financially from the action. I don't see how cancelling the Sidmouth Festival could possibly benefit anyone financially. Or am I overreacting? Is it perhaps that Sidmouth Council is only cutting their financial backing of The Festival, but is still willing to grant permits if The Festival can make up that funding from other sources?

I would be more than happy to write a letter -- as a foreign tourist -- to the Council, pointing out their folly. But if I'm to be persuasive, I need to be sure I have the facts right.

I've just found this news release at the festival site http://www.sidmouthfestival.com/press.html
It certainly does read like brinkmanship, doesn't it?
If there are companies or individuals willing to make significant financial contributions towards this underwriting they should register their interest to the Festival Office by Friday 28th May. Based on the response, final decisions on the future of the festival in 2005 and beyond will be made in early June.

That "deadline" was a week ago, and this information has apparently been on their web site for a month. Seems strange that none of our members noticed/reported it sooner.

Yes, it does read like brinkmanship... on both sides. I wonder what would happen if somebody tried forming a stockholder corporation to take over running the festival. How much do you think they could raise in an IPO?

Meanwhile, it is beginning to appear to me as if the background is not so clear cut. Did the Festival take a weather-related loss recently? If so, did some supporters lose money while others still made a profit?

A bit of almost relevant fun is this tongue-partly-in-cheek quote from a 1961 book on Norway and its culture:

Each county is subdivided into so many hundreds ("herreder", as we call them).  Nowadays, the word means a municipality, governed by an elected corporation, which -- as the custom is the world over -- sends out tax demands, uses up the money, and then applies to the State for help to build roads, schools, and other essentials.
......................... :)

The information regarding this posting was based on information which I received last night at the George session from someone who had talked to the organiser,but I do not know how recently.

Jim no councellor can close down anything as an individual ,He put foreward the proposition to the Council for majority decision, but it was turned down based on the then critism from Sidmouth traders.

I agree with you Chris that the Sidmouth fringe activities will I hope continue,it has always been such a strong part of the festival and one which I must admit enjoyed the most.The campsite would have to be organised however ,with the high cost of Insurance to cover accidents.

There has been a few years where the weather has caused major problems at Sidmouth one year I understand was a mudbath.

I have not been to Sidmouth for some time now, but for all Folk lovers it would be a great loss if this festival was no more.

Al

Meanwhile, it is beginning to appear to me as if the background is not so clear cut.  Did the Festival take a weather-related loss recently? 

The weather last year was magnificent. It is generally agreed that Mrs Casey have been pushing the festival in an increasingly commercial direction since they took it over from EFDSS, I don't know, about 15-20 years ago now. It is, of course, less generally agreed whether this is a good thing or not. I am one of those that think not.

At least one reason why this might have been under-reported by people like me is a degree of cynicism we hold about the activities of the current organisers.

Chris

Found this on Mudcat

East Devon District Council puts the record straight

Councillor Andrew Moulding, East Devon's Portfolio-Holder for Leisure, said: "The council is somewhat taken aback at the timing, tone and content of the press release from Sidmouth International Festival and its parent company, Mrs Casey's Music.

"The council continues to be supportive of the festival, both in principle and in practice. The 2004 festival will be supported by East Devon to the tune of £60,780 in grant aid, not to mention other benefits that the festival receives without charge – such as cleansing and security services, use of council-owned land and premises etc.

"In recent years, the grant aid has been index-linked and has risen from £50,000 in 1996 to £59,010 in 2003 – with a further increase this year.

"The council recently commissioned an organisational development review of the festival's future, conducted by an independent consultant, which looked at how the festival might be structured and financed beyond 2004.

"The two main council decisions arising from the review, of which the festival organisers are well aware, were that: 1. The Council would enter into a limited agreement with Mrs Casey's Music for them to manage a festival in 2005 with ITS financial support comparable to that of previous years.

2. A working party should be set up to investigate the situation with regard to 2006 onwards, this to include representatives of all the major interested parties.

"So far as the council is concerned, all of its actions to date have been supportive of the festival's continuation beyond 2004. Any suggestion that the council has indicated that its financial support will soon come to an end is highly inaccurate and is strongly refuted.

"It may indeed be the case that the festival is seeking additional funding to secure its future, but this is a matter for the festival organisers and their potential patrons. In times of financial stringency, when local authorities are continually balancing provision of facilities and services with limited rises in council tax, it is the district council's duty to ensure that residents of East Devon receive best value.

"The District Council believes that the strategy it has adopted for supporting the festival and assisting the organisers to find a way forward beyond 2005 is fair to all concerned".

All the best,

Peter

Well done Peter,this information throws a completely different light on this subject.

When was this statement released? Perhaps there is hope after all, or have Casey`s Music decided to throw in the towel?

Al

I just looked on the East Devon Council website and found the press release was issued on the 7th of May.

Hopefully it is attached :)

Edited by Peter Brook

Well done Peter,this information throws a completely different light on this subject.

When was this statement released? Perhaps there is hope after all, or have Casey`s Music decided to throw in the towel?

You see why we are cynical? I am sure that throwing in the towel is the furthest thing from Mrs Casey's collective mind. I would guess that the bit that actually upsets them is the stuff about the Council wanting to have a say in the future direction of the festival.

Actually, I am most heartened by this. If Mrs Casey did relinquish the running of the festival, it is clear the Council would be actively looking for a replacement.

Chris

I don't really know a lot about Sidmouth as I have never been. I have bought CD's from Mrs Casey's at other festivals and their staff always seem to be very informed, pleasant and friendly.

Having been a regular attendee at Whitby since 1981, I am amazed that Malcolm Storey has been involved in co-ordinating the festival for all this time. I think it must be a labour of love.

Anyone involved in promoting traditional music or festivals in England has my utmost admiration. We must have the most cynical media, which perpetually rubbishes the English traditional music and dance scene.

Yesterday there were jokes on a national radio station making fun of morris dance. Why don't the English (media) care about their cultural heritiage? :(

The latest Sidmouth info email says all week/daily season tickets have been sold out. I wonder if all this "Last Sidmouth" is just a cynical marketing ploy by Mrs Casey for a bit more publicity?.

the following post appeared recently in the discussion thread on the newsgroup uk.music.folk :-

---------------------------------------------------------

Newsgroups: uk.music.folk

Subject: Re: Sidmouth Festival meeting

From: "Steve Harris (steve AT netservs DOT com)" <root@netservs.com>

Date: 17 June 2004 11:31:00

"Assurances were given at a public meeting on Monday that the Sidmouth

International Festival will continue next year"

"...although the festival could be down-sized after this year's 50th event."

"Mr Heap said he was pleased with the outcome of the meeting ..."

Full article: http://tinyurl.com/2lnl4

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------

This discussion thread may be continuing.

- John Wild