oom pah on piano

gcarr

Hi everybody ! does anyone know if a tutorbook exists about oom-pah accompanying on piano (as frequently used in english folk music) ?

I am a concertina and piano player yet.

thanks !

I would be surprised if there were a whole book about it. But if you have access to a copy of "The Waltz Book", Bill Matthiesen has written a section at the beginning (pp. 4-10) called "Notes on Piano Accompaniment for Waltzes", wherein he uses oom-pah(-pah) as a baseline and a prominent reference point.

My own fifteen-second introduction to the style would be:

1. Figure out the chord progression of the music. If you're in luck, there's a tab sheet where it's notated directly.

2. On the downbeat, play "Oom" (the root of the chord)

3. Decide where the "Pah" is going to go, and put the rest of the chord there.

4. Repeat as necessary

5. Sometime very close to the end of the song, stop.

=)

It's worth a look at a book titled "Interview with a Vamper" by Peter Barnes. The author mainly plays for American contra dances but his range of techniques is vast and the style of accompanimnet is basically similar

Good Luck!

Alex West

It's worth a look at a book titled "Interview with a Vamper" by Peter Barnes. The author mainly plays for American contra dances but his range of techniques is vast and the style of accompanimnet is basically similar

And Peter also plays a great deal of what in America is known as English Country Dance Music. In fact, another of his books is a collection of tunes for English Country Dance, often referred to as just "The Barnes Book" or "The Blue Book".

There is a book on accompaniment for Irish music (on the Piano) by Geraldine Cotter which was published by Ossian Publications (about 1995). Geraldine's website is www.geraldinecotter.com

Geoff.

There are some great Irish accompanists even on some of the old 78s. Geraldine Cotter is very sensitive

The old edition I have is by Marx alone. I don't know what Cancel added, but the title alone should be enough to tell you if this is the answer to your question.

Although the title on the cover clearly includes the word "the" before "piano," amazon.com has it listed as "How to Play Piano Despite..."

Beryl Marriott was a superb pianist for English Country Dance music .

Sadly, Beryl's death has just been announced:

fRoots

She was a brilliant musician, and I'm sorry I never saw her perform. Many of us were put off the idea that folk music can be played on piano by having to sing to Cecil Sharp's arrangements at school, but she demonstrated how effective it can be in the right hands.

RIP

Many of us were put off the idea that folk music can be played on piano by having to sing to Cecil Sharp's arrangements at school, but she demonstrated how effective it can be in the right hands.

RIP

Hmm ... Good point there!

Could it be that suitability - or lack of it - for a particular type of music is more a matter of the "right hands" than of the "right instrument"?

Cheers,

John

Beryl Marriott was a superb pianist for English Country Dance music .

Sadly, Beryl's death has just been announced:

fRoots

She was a brilliant musician, and I'm sorry I never saw her perform. Many of us were put off the idea that folk music can be played on piano by having to sing to Cecil Sharp's arrangements at school, but she demonstrated how effective it can be in the right hands.

RIP

Her last playing was on the latest Dave Swarbrick album just released. she was a great influence on Swarb in his formative years

http://www.folkicons.co.uk/swarbnew.htm

Edited by michael sam wild