Am I missing something here?

david robertson

I'm feeling a little bewildered (something I find happens with increasing frequency these days).

Less than a couple of weeks ago, this mahogany-ended 30k Lachenal failed to attract a starting bid of £900 on eBay.

A couple of days ago, the same seller listed an identical instrument (possibly the identical instrument) with a starting bid of £1200 and a Buy-it-Now price of £2500.

Now I recognise that boundless optimism can be an admirable character trait, and they do say that hope springs eternal etc. But surely in this case, hope would have to gush in a fashion that would defeat the best efforts of Red Adair and his team to contain it?

I noticed that, and there has been a 30 key lachenal listed on here with an asking price of £2700 - I can't understand why prices are suddenly so high unless people are actually achieving those. Sadly if that happens it will encourage people to vacuum up the cheap 30 keys and punt them on at profit making it even harder for beginners to get decent instruments.

To be fair - the lachenal on here was a metal ended box with more buttons, but with Jeffries holding steady now it seems that there is an upper limit for a lach surely? Don't get me wrong I've played some amazing lachenals but the hook action is always going to limit the value for me...

Edited by gavdav

I've dealt with this seller and I'm not sure he quite gets it. He only bought this a few months ago so I guess he thought he saw a profit in it. He bought one off me and said it was a disappointment then turned around and tried to sell it for a profit and it was suddenly a great instrument.