Transfer of skills?

Way back in the olden days, in the BC (before computers), and before electric typewriters, I took a high school typing class, and am glad I did. We didn't have spell checkers or whiteout, We only had an eraser, and it was tough to correct a mistake without messing up the paper, and it still showed. So to pass the class we had to submit the results for grading with no mistakes. It was tough in the beginning, but found it was easier to do it right the first time. I passed the class with 60 words per minute. To this day, I use those skills, and occasionally use my old portable manual typewriter for forms and odd things that I can't do on a computer (no electricity, or batteries). I now type words, not letters. When I bought my concertina, the first thing I did was find out where the notes are, and went up and down a lot to learn the notes/keys/keyboard, without looking. Scales.

Yes, scales come to mind as an aid. Yes they're for typewriters also. Typing a few sentences work for skill and speed.

1. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy white dog.

2. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

are two that come to mind. The first includes all the letters of the alphabet, and the second uses all the fingers. Typing them quite a few times helps the skills fast.

I've still a good bit of high frequency hearing loss, but I can still push the buttons on my concertina almost 30 measures a minute, depending on the tune, without mistakes, and am getting faster working on phrases now, not notes. Typing helped.

Thanks

Leo :)

Why such an obsession with maximum speed ? It may be clever and impress and be fun but is anyone really suggesting that the faster the rendition of a tune the greater it's performance ? God forbid that Concertina playing become an Olympic sport, although anything is of course possible !

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why such an obsession with maximum speed ? It may be clever and impress and be fun but is anyone really suggesting that the faster the rendition of a tune the greater it's performance ? God forbid that Concertina playing become an Olympic sport, although anything is of course possible !

I wish I could play the concertina much faster than I can. Then I'd have a safety margin when I'm playing at a speed I deem appropriate! I don't think that's an obsession - unless, of course, you regard wanting to play the concertina at all as an obsession :lol:

Cheers,

John

Way back in the olden days, in the BC (before computers), and before electric typewriters, I took a high school typing class, and am glad I did. We didn't have spell checkers or whiteout, We only had an eraser, and it was tough to correct a mistake without messing up the paper, and it still showed. So to pass the class we had to submit the results for grading with no mistakes. It was tough in the beginning, but found it was easier to do it right the first time. I passed the class with 60 words per minute. To this day, I use those skills, and occasionally use my old portable manual typewriter for forms and odd things that I can't do on a computer (no electricity, or batteries). I now type words, not letters. When I bought my concertina, the first thing I did was find out where the notes are, and went up and down a lot to learn the notes/keys/keyboard, without looking. Scales.

Yes, scales come to mind as an aid. Yes they're for typewriters also. Typing a few sentences work for skill and speed.

1. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy white dog.

2. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

are two that come to mind. The first includes all the letters of the alphabet, and the second uses all the fingers. Typing them quite a few times helps the skills fast.

I've still a good bit of high frequency hearing loss, but I can still push the buttons on my concertina almost 30 measures a minute, depending on the tune, without mistakes, and am getting faster working on phrases now, not notes. Typing helped.

Thanks

Leo :)

Like all things Rod ,it is nice to have the ability to use the skill if you want to.

It is possible to build up to speed, but if you already have the natural ability or trained ability that you can utilise so much the better.

Yes Jim middle finger of the right hand,but I do at least know where the letters are now.

It does go a long way to explain how my posts repeat something that has already been written (sorry Leo),whilst I am tapping away with one finger others post before I finish.

Al :rolleyes:

Not all Olympic sports are based on speed, and at the moment I can't think of any that are based entirely or even largely on the speed of rapid repetition.

Even those skiing sharpshooters (I forget the official name) don't try to squeeze off several shots per second, though overall time counts.

And weight lifting?

Maybe there could be a competition to see who can play the heaviest concertina? While standing, of course, and with no neck strap. ("You may have a metal-ended 80-button duet, but so do I, and I had my ends specially made of cast iron.
Beat that!
")
:D

Not all Olympic sports are based on speed, and at the moment I can't think of any that are based entirely or even largely on the speed of rapid repetition.

Running wouldn't happen without some pretty rapid repeated leg movements :lol:

It is possible to build up to speed, but if you already have the natural ability or trained ability that you can utilise so much the better.

Yes Jim middle finger of the right hand,but I do at least know where the letters are now.

So Alan, have you considered taking a typing course? It could greatly increase the speed of your typing (a skill I'm pretty sure you use for more than just posting on Concertina.net), and I'm certain that it at least wouldn't harm your concertina playing.

A good point, but to be more like concertina playing or typing, shouldn't the runners be required to place their feet in a predefined sequence of very specific locations? :unsure:

A good point, but to be more like concertina playing or typing, shouldn't the runners be required to place their feet in a predefined sequence of very specific locations? :unsure:

Isn't that long jump? ;) :P

Isn't that long jump? ;) :P

From the original topic?

Yes, I would say so!
:D

Here, hang on lads & lassies! There's a lot more to making music than simply pressing buttons. Playing notes without timing and rhythm is just noise. You could teach a monkey to press buttons quickly but I doubt you'd like the result..

Yeah! Make hop-scotch Olympic!! :lol:

Speaking of which: If you had hop-scotch as a fringe event at a concertina weekend, I wonder who would win. An English, Anglo, Maccann, Crane or Hayden player?

If there is any neuronal transfer between fingers and feet, I'd bet on the Maccannic! :P

Cheers,

John

Yeah! Make hop-scotch Olympic!! :lol:

Speaking of which: If you had hop-scotch as a fringe event at a concertina weekend, I wonder who would win. An English, Anglo, Maccann, Crane or Hayden player?

With concertina players, I don't know, but if it were bagpipers... well, the competition is hop-Scotch! :D

Well, typing is going to give your fingers some exercise and help the muscles but, going in the reverse direction, if you have strong spring pressure on your instument does this affect you and make you a noisy typist?

Dunno about that, but might it help a programmer who works in "strongly typed" computer languages? :ph34r:

That sure would be handy! I'm a very fast typer, using both hands. At work with the oldfashioned noisy keyboards I stress my co-workers with my fast typing!:) I hope I can be that fast on the squeezeboxes one day!!

The language nerd says THANK YOU for correcting the error:):):)

About playing fast, I think for me being a beginner, the word fast means something different than to many others on this board I think.......... I wish I could play at a decent tempo without missing notes! That's fast for me!