Norhteast Squeeze-in

Rich, now that the rustic cabins are upgraded are they no longer marginal shelters like before? More to the point, are they now more comfortable than a small backpacking tent? When I was last there I preferred a tent to the cabins. I hope to be able to go this year and I'm just wondering if I should go with a cabin or campsite. They sure were rustic several years ago! Thanks!

bruce boysen, #77 Morse Albion

I would like to go to this next year (don't have the money this year).

$45 for a comfortable cabin for the weekend doesn't seem onerous (you should pack your chow in though as the comestibles are pricey there). The expensive part for you will be in getting there from Ohio.

How do you know what's offered at what time? Do people sign up or post what they would like to lead?

There is a bulletin board workshop grid with time slots to be filled in. Folks will adorn the periphery of it with postits requesting workshops in whatever.... Others who have the know-how will take the suggestions and fill in the timeslot of their choice to lead a workshop in that. Of course one need not wait for a request to lead a workshop.

If people need to fly in, is there a nearby airport with some reasonable means of getting to the Squeeze-In?

Both Albany and Hartford (Bradley) airports are about an hour's drive from the S-I. You can rent a car from either or contact The Button Box to see if you can hook up with another attendee flying in to share a car. There is also a fairly convenient bus (and even more convenient limo service (read: van) going regularly from Bradley to Northampton where one of the Button Box staff can pick you up on their way out. You may also be able to coerce an attendee passing near one of the airports to pick you up....

Edited by Richard Morse

I would like to go to this next year (don't have the money this year). How do you know what's offered at what time? Do people sign up or post what they would like to lead? This sounds like a lot of fun. If people need to fly in, is there a nearby airport with some reasonable means of getting to the Squeeze-In?

Thanks.

A grid is posted Friday with locations across the top and times down the left edge most of the workshops are Saturday, a few spill over to Sunday). People start filling in the squares. Participants need not sign up, only show up.

Closest airport is in Albany, NY, about an hour away. Some folks rent cars, some ask me for a ride (I generally oblige).

:o :o :rolleyes: Thanks to David, Richard and Michael for answering my questions. (about the Squeeze In) Yes, $45 is very reasonable. However I would have to pay to kennel my two dogs and for airfare,so I can't swing it this year. Certainly if I lived closer and my dogs could figure out how to take care of themselves, this year would have been a go!

Of course, if I stopped buying musical instruments .... :blink:

Just guessing, but I think Rich might have intended these questions for another Wendy -- Wendy Morrison of Takoma Park, MD, aka Wendina, who lost a lot of her possessions in a fire ... including, I suppose, parts of her extensive collection of accordion- and concertina-related kitsch (tchotkes). Wendy also has an amazing Klezmer/Eastern European repertoire.

I had a hard time figuring out how to spell tchotkes but finally found it at Dictionary.com which's spelling I used.

You're right about my mistaking Wendy for Wendy. She's been such a boost at the Squeeze-In and we've missed her these past few years.

:blink: :D Well, I did wonder a bit, but...tried to answer the best I could.

Yes, I did hear about that fire, and though I've been to Wendy M.'s website and found her online sometimes, I've never met her personally. She has a very great website with a lot of good information, though.

:( Just for the record -- I now have a change of plans and have cancelled my Squeeze-in reservation. (Doesn't free-up a manor room, though....I was going to stay in a cabin.)

Many factors, mainly, it is simply too complicated for me to go away for a weekend. I know I could just do the day on Saturday, but...That's a lot of driving for me in one day, etc..

Oh well, maybe another year. :rolleyes: