Constant Billy

Alan Day

Alan - it sounds great and has loads of lift which is perfect to dance to. I play it on EC for a local Morris side and don't get anything like the lift that you give it!

AL

Thank you Al for that compliment.It is interesting as the majority of it is played using accidentals,so it is mostly on the push or the pull,exactly what you have. So the lift you describe is from the emphasis on certain notes using more bellows power,or a shortened note. There is no reason why you cannot duplicate this on your EC.

Al :rolleyes:

Gotta get more buttons!

Not more buttons, Jim, different layout ;) Robin

(Nice playing on Billy Minor; never heard it before )

Not surprising. I was just noodling while the foreman was figuring out a new dance. He liked the noodling and said "we'll use that."

Fooling with major/minor stuff is entertaining and sometimes produces good music ( and often just silly music).

We do different dances to Cuckoo's Nest in minor and major. Keeps us on our toes.

• 2 months later...
"Constant Billy" just played for a tune not to dance to.

One of my all time favourite Morris tunes

Al

Sorry initially the wrong tune OK now (two No 19s)

Love it; really good.

Would you have the sheet-music for anyone who might want to learnt it?

Cheers,

Patrick

"Constant Billy" just played for a tune not to dance to.

One of my all time favourite Morris tunes

Al

Sorry initially the wrong tune OK now (two No 19s)

Love it; really good.

Would you have the sheet-music for anyone who might want to learnt it?

Cheers,

Patrick

Sorry Patrick I have no dots for this tune but it is a famous Morris Dance tune so it should be easy to find.

Al

The Adderbury version (there's a Headington one, too) is on here:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/morris/music/abclib.html

This is in ABC format, but it says that all web browsers can be configured to display ABC files as sheet music. I don't read dots, so I can't comment on how that's actually done.

Cut and paste the ABC to the the amazing Concertina net ABC convert-a-matic HERE

Then you can hear the tune as a MIDI (synthesiser) or get a good quality printable PDF version of the dots.

Edited by spindizzy

there is a book called a selection of 100 English folk dance airs for melodic instruments, edited by Maud Karpeles and Kenworthy Schofield, originally published by EFDSS. this contains the Adderbury version in G and in A.

According to my now tattered copy, it was published by Hargail music Press, 28 West 38th Street, New York. NY10018. I believe I got my copy from a stall at a festival years ago.

- John Wild