3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

It is my proud privilege once again to declare the start of the 3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game. In a moment I shall call upon last year’s winner, Chas (fidgit) to open the proceedings with a statement of the special rules and modifications which will apply to this year’s game and also, most importantly, to make the first move.

But first, I have had a pm from forum member Mrs Trellis of North Wales asking how come nobody ever plays Mornington Crescent as the first move, and thus wins the game outright. Like most of us I knew this was highly frowned upon but I didn’t know the reason why. It took some research to uncover formally what we all know intuitively. It is, of course, a sub-clause of the Offside Rule. Obvious once you know. At the beginning of the game no diagonals can possibly have been opened nor any of the major conventions (Moreton’s, Stovold’s, Lyttelton’s) deployed. Therefore a call of Mornington Crescent as the opening move would simply put the player immediately and irretrievably in Knip, end of story.

So, on with the game. It is, as we all know, in memory of Charles Wheatstone who as well as inventing our favourite musical instrument was a superlative player of the Game of Games. I hope that we all espouse in our play those Victorian ideals of sportsmanship and fair play that are so widely associated with CW.

Over to you, Chas …

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Mick Diles
So, on with the game. It is, as we all know, in memory of Charles Wheatstone...

We all is (I guess) about 20-30% of all C.Net members. Please stop this nonsense for the sake of the "not so very British" 70% of the members. Use another platform for your games :angry:

Please stop this nonsense for the sake of the "not so very British" 70% of the members. Use another platform for your games :angry:

So, if Mornington Crescent is a purely British phenomenon, how come there are versions played in many other countries, including the USA, eh?

"In Washington, DC the Washington Metro subway system is used, and the Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood station (on the Red Line) is the equivalent to Mornington Crescent. Farragut West station is the dreaded Dollis Hill equivalent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_%28game%29

It is my proud privilege once again to declare the start of the 3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game. In a moment I shall call upon last year’s winner, Chas (fidgit) to open the proceedings with a statement of the special rules and modifications which will apply to this year’s game and also, most importantly, to make the first move.

But first, I have had a pm from forum member Mrs Trellis of North Wales asking how come nobody ever plays Mornington Crescent as the first move, and thus wins the game outright. Like most of us I knew this was highly frowned upon but I didn’t know the reason why. It took some research to uncover formally what we all know intuitively. It is, of course, a sub-clause of the Offside Rule. Obvious once you know. At the beginning of the game no diagonals can possibly have been opened nor any of the major conventions (Moreton’s, Stovold’s, Lyttelton’s) deployed. Therefore a call of Mornington Crescent as the opening move would simply put the player immediately and irretrievably in Knip, end of story.

So, on with the game. It is, as we all know, in memory of Charles Wheatstone who as well as inventing our favourite musical instrument was a superlative player of the Game of Games. I hope that we all espouse in our play those Victorian ideals of sportsmanship and fair play that are so widely associated with CW.

Over to you, Chas …

First may I say Happy Birthday Mr Wheatsone. It is a privilage to share first names with you.

In keeping with the, ”Wheatstone Brain” and of his many concertina -ed disciples. I feel it only correct to delve into the depths of POLYOLPHABETIC CIPHER – logy – Sorry Mr. Wheatstone, but that gave no resistance what so ever.

My Lords, and Ladies.

My, Cunning Plan. Is for you to, find rX

If you lot can figure out what all the little buttons on each side of the six sided instrument you are holding are for, then this should be easy, peasy.

“Nah, Me be in a Lunnana me sel and therefore my French being notably crap, and in view of my own “Cut the Grass” winning ways of 2007 – Mrs T has sent me a postcard from Hastings by the way. Where she is recuperating from the incurred abortion and she hopes that with the correct treatment the rash she left behind her will soon subside. Also saying that she has not removed my rule book. So it must be where it has always been.

The Rules.

Herewith to be known as, The Centenary Rules. When published, a copy of this volume, is to be placed eventually along with all the other previous volumes of rule books under Samantha’s pillow. Participants of this centenary game are requested to make a donation to the, Mornington Crescent Elevator Repair Fund, or an extra pillow for Samantha.

This year, it being the One Hundredth year since the opening of the Mornington Crescent Underground Station on 22nd. June 1907. We are all invited along with all the other collectable invitees to, two Celebratory Events. Albeit One Hundred years apart. Events that I feel we are all involved with in some way or another.

As ALL Wheatstone- ian’s know. r1 and r2 are constant and r3 is variable. By adjusting r3 we can obtain rX. Or as in this case rXa and rXb.

Invitees/non-invitees :

There are only a certain number of invitees required, although they will alight at any mentioned underground station along with the non-invitees.

Your task is to individually sort them out. Find out how many are required. i.e. r1 and identify them into two groups. i.e. r2.

All of which when adjusted. i.e. r3 will make up rX, a and b. Only when you have obtained rX is it possible to take the now hopefully repaired elevator up to the sunlight of Seymour Street.

To, get things rolling. So, to speak. We are required to be, at some height. I shall start therefore at.

Buckhurst Hill

A place I know quite well as I used to live close by during the post WWII period. And I spent many a pleasant day bicycling around the country lanes that abounded there at the time.

The first of the invitees/non-invitees are now on board.

Although all who alight here are not bound for our destination. Well it is the rush hour.

You are required to collect other participants along the way.

Although. I have started here. You may, and indeed should, start elsewhere. “All roads lead to . . . “

It’s all downhill from here.

Now it’s up to you to get your stereoscopes out for an insight into the perception of the “Roller Coaster” ride we are about to undertake. Watching the, "Bridge" sparks through the carraige windows. Take your “Hitch Hikers Guide” with you as the Author had the answer to . . .

Now I think that’s enough Agatha Christie style “Red Herrings” in there for you not to be late for the 4.50 from . . . .

And remember, taxi drivers like Vampires will not cross running water at night. And nor should you.

Now as I rub my hands together and utter a Machiavellian laugh HA! HA! HA! I wish you a safe journey.

Enjoy.

Chas

PS. I have of course disqualified myself from taking part, but shall comment from time to time if I may.

Nb. When you feel that the required number of invitees are on board and they have been adjusted accordingly, then a PM with the presumed correct result, to me or Samantha will be required for continuations. You undoubtably will be wrong of course.

Anyone need a map?

Edited by fidjit

So, on with the game. It is, as we all know, in memory of Charles Wheatstone...

We all is (I guess) about 20-30% of all C.Net members. Please stop this nonsense for the sake of the "not so very British" 70% of the members. Use another platform for your games :angry:

If you are not happy about it, take your ball and play somewhere else!

I will just say that this is the only complaint we have seen in 3 years of play. We try hard not to outstay our welcome (and that should continue, of course), but I am aware that many c.netters do genuinely look forward to these games. In that spirit, please do not respond in the forum to this posting, but play up, play up and play the man game.

Old Kent Road

Chris

To, get things rolling. So, to speak. We are required to be, at some height. I shall start therefore at.

Buckhurst Hill

A place I know quite well as I used to live close by during the post WWII period. And I spent many a pleasant day bicycling around the country lanes that abounded there at the time.

In compliance with Article 4.1, paragraph 12-f on page 36c of the centenary rules (*1*), I open with:

Romford

Many moons ago, more than I'd prefer, I went to Havering Technical College as an aprentice with a long gone TV rental company (Radio Rentals - anyone remember them?) They paid for digs in Romford, where I spent a very happy year, so its a place I know well - or at least I did 40 years ago.

(*1*) For those of you who have not yet recieved their copy (*2*), Article 4.1, paragraph 12-f states:

"Members joining the centenary game, are required to declare a personal connection to, and in, the opening move. Failure to properly declare an interrest will disqualify the player from crossing any bridges during play"

(*2*) If you need a copy, let me know as I have a spare. It's currently on loan to another player, I only emailed it to him the other day, but when he emails it back I'll be please to loan it out again - first come, first served.

Please stop this nonsense for the sake of the "not so very British" 70% of the members. Use another platform for your games :angry:

So, if Mornington Crescent is a purely British phenomenon, how come there are versions played in many other countries, including the USA, eh?

"In Washington, DC the Washington Metro subway system is used, and the Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood station (on the Red Line) is the equivalent to Mornington Crescent. Farragut West station is the dreaded Dollis Hill equivalent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_%28game%29

A quote from that page

Enthusiasts in Sweden use the Stockholm Metro map and Stora Mossen as the target

Just one of the beautiful stations in Stockholm for you

http://en.wikipedia.org:80/wiki/Image:Stoc...0050808_002.jpg

Chas

Old Kent Road

Chris

Hey Chris! now what are you up to, ye played that last year. You won't lose us this time, I claim Rollover Rights and head straight in to:

The Eye

Now, from up here I can C# where all you sneaky buggers are moving to.

No - duet players can't make two moves at the same time!

The Eye

All this fresh air and heights - too vertiginous for me. I shall scuttle back over the bridge to .....

Waterloo.

A bit close to dusk that was. You could end up with a stake. . . . .

Chas

Sorry for being something of a late-comer at this years concertina players ball game.

In keeping with the rule to give some connection when first playing, I shall play

Goodge Street

being not only near where I was at University but also close to the church hall on Tottenham Court Road where I first when to an ICA meeting (1972?) and only a hop step and a jump from Dingles Folk Club where I first saw John Kirkpatrick and Kenneth Loveless amongs others.

A propos nothing, I spent some of yesterday at another fine annual contest, the Ashbourne Shrovetide Football. No place to take a concertina! Tuesday's ball was scored by the Up'Ards, just before 8pm but this was after I had retired to the pub.

Howard

As a beginner, I'll follow that with Tottenham Court Road itself, which I believe is the start place for beginners. Can anyone explain the Hammersmith Jink, especially when played after Broad Green? I've had a look in Beck's Schematic and I can't find the answer there. Maybe it's a Mortimer variation.

Chris

Is everyone else in Knipp?
A brief interruption ,if Imay, to point out I am not Mick Diles,I am DickMiles.

and I answer with Brighton Rock.

Bit off the map that. Whatever. :P

Where is the map?

Chas

Edited by fidjit

The Eye

All this fresh air and heights - too vertiginous for me. I shall scuttle back over the bridge to .....

Waterloo.

Oh! cunning move!

But over the bridge without declaring, eh!

I claim Knipp, you must now wait there for the next Eurostar!

(thinks - that's one more out of the running - heh heh!)

Edited by Gerry