Who Makes A C#/g# Hybrid?

[Just for curiosity, in what context and in what way would you play a C#/G#?]

well, as to "in what way," i believe i mentioned traditional irish dance tunes in my first post.

as to "in what context," either an e-flat irish session where the afore-mentioned traditional irish dance tunes are being played, or alone, particularly with the many classic recordings of the music which are made a half-step up, in e-flat. more than one wonderful irish concertina player has a c#/g# in their arsenal. this is why both suttner & wakker expressly list this tuning on their menus. i believe suttner's sound samples are actually all on a c#/G#. much of the lovely cd by edel fox a year or so back was made on a c#/g#. i don't have my copy here, but if i recall correctly, the liner notes thank tim collins for the use of his. i suppose some players prefer to use an a-flat/e-flat to play in e-flat, but that would be the analogue of a g/d, i think. my preference would be the c#/g# route. i can play f and c on my c/g, so don't feel a yen for a b-flat/f.

i just checked the "menus" of the hybrid makers, and they do list some non-c/g tunings, but no one seems to list c#/g#, which i take to mean they don't do this tuning, but perhaps i'm wrong. i guess i'll have to inquire separately.

Edited by ceemonster

in the "catalogue" section on the suttner concertinas website, under the "A4" model (38-key jeffries-style) are five tracks played on c#/g#, three by tim collins & 2 by aogan lynch. (a c/g is used for samples with the 30-key jeffries-style "A2" model.) you play them just as you would play a c/g. your "d" tunes are in d-sharp, i.e., e-flat.

i just checked the "menus" of the hybrid makers, and they do list some non-c/g tunings, but no one seems to list c#/g#, which i take to mean they don't do this tuning, but perhaps i'm wrong. i guess i'll have to inquire separately.

There is usually some fluidity in these things -- if you contact them directly and they feel like you will go through with taking delivery and making payment, they may do the work required to be able to provide something they haven't done before.

good tip, tom! oh, and thank you for sending me answers to questions about clare or mary mac-style offbeat bass "taps" or "tips" or whatever those ornaments might be called! and nice playing on "anglo international"!

I have also a c sharp / g sharp concertina (by Colin Dipper), that I used in anglo international in one tune. I use it to play mainly in b flat, g sharp and e flat, less in c sharp.

In galician and asturian music are very common the pipes in b flat and and then many folk groups (Llan de Cubel, Felpeyu...) make the music "around" the bagpipes, using e flat flutes, and fiddle tuned half a tone high, similar that irish use and scottish (i.e. Tannahill Weavers), the best thing would be to have a b flat / f and a G/D concertina.

When I ordered it I considered to order a b flat / f instrument but it implied a more push/pull style for playing in b flat and that I couldn't play in other tunings (e flat, g sharp) that I love play too.

Finally when I get used to the Dipper, my lachenal was too slow and I ordered my Suttner in c/g.

Félix

well, i don't know how many e-flat sessions i'm going to get to play in, but i've gotten hooked on those keys from records. and rather than do that computer thing to move them down, i'm starting to yearn for a c#/g# concertina, then i could learn from/play with the records, plus participate in sessions if i encounter any in ireland or elsewhere. other recordings with a significant number of tunes in these keys: almost everything by tony macmahon, with and without noel hill. some of noel hill's solo stuff. the "joe cooley" cd. much of mary macnamara's stuff (that is a baritone c#/g#). and the two solo cds by mick mulcahy, plus the two mulcahy family cds. the terry bingham concertina cd has some e-flat stuff. i'm really starting to love that sound.

well, i don't know how many e-flat sessions i'm going to get to play in, but i've gotten hooked on those keys from records. and rather than do that computer thing to move them down, i'm starting to yearn for a c#/g# concertina, then i could learn from/play with the records, plus participate in sessions if i encounter any in ireland or elsewhere. other recordings with a significant number of tunes in these keys: almost everything by tony macmahon, with and without noel hill. some of noel hill's solo stuff. the "joe cooley" cd. much of mary macnamara's stuff (that is a baritone c#/g#). and the two solo cds by mick mulcahy, plus the two mulcahy family cds. the terry bingham concertina cd has some e-flat stuff. i'm really starting to love that sound.

Well, you could always jump ahead of the "sharpen it to be noticed" curve and go right to D/A ! :lol:

fair play to the g/d, d/a folks, but i'm not in that tribe. the c/g paradigm is working for me, so that and its analogues are my terrain for the foreseeable future. the extra effort i would learn picking up another system, is effort i wish to save to learn the argentine bandoneon.......

Are their instruments really C#/G#, or are they just C/G's tuned to a "high" pitch of A446.2?
;)

the extra effort i would learn picking up another system, is effort i wish to save to learn the argentine bandoneon.......

Getting a C#/G# isn't extra effort, just extra expense. It's not "another system", just the opposite. It'sthe same old system in a different key, so that you can play in a different key without having to learn to play "in a different key" (on the not-different instrument).