Anatomy of Inexpensive Concertinas

The discussion on another forum turned to how inexpensive Chinese concertinas might or might not be similar to Concertina Connection concertinas, which are also Chinese-made but cost more. It was largely based on surmise. I think one participant had experience playing both and found the CC superior. This leads me to wonder: has anyone opened up one or more of the inexpensive Chinese instruments that are epidemic on Ebay and compared construction to a CC concertina.

I'm asking simply out of curiosity. My first concertina was a Jackie, I got good support when I needed it from both the Button Box and Wim Wakker, so no complaints there. Certainly, the support factor could be huge, my experience with the Jackie was good, but I have no basis for telling people that the one Chinese-made instrument (the Jackie, etc.) is fine and the others either are or are not something to consider. Does anyone here have such experience?

Quote from Scarlatti English concertina on Ebay:

"This concertina is in lovely condition but it does have a few flaws which were present on purchase. A couple of the buttons have a tendency to stick and continue sounding. This could almost certainly be easily repaired by removing the end plates and adjusting the buttons - you can find instructions on how to do this online at http://www.carrollconcertinas.com/repairs.html"

Here's an earlier thread: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6289

I owned a cheap Chinese concertina for a while, and while the ends were very similar to a Rochelle, the internals were not. I've seen many others in shops that are the same way. Everyone in the thread quoted above who has actually tried a no-name Chinese concertina noted the same thing. As Wim wrote:

Finally, about ‘our’ Rochelle,

There is quite a lot of difference between the cheap clones and the Rochelle. The Rochelle is a European concertina (designed and owned by me), made exclusively for us in China, to my specifications/standards, using some European parts. We even have our own quality controller in the factory, which by the way, is not the same as the Clover shop.

The Rochelle/Jackie/Jack are the only European concertinas that are made in China.

The other concertinas are Chinese instruments; designed/copied, developed, made and marketed by Chinese companies. When in doubt if you have a Rochelle or clone, just open the instrument and compare the action, reeds, valves, etc…

I guess this one might be of some interest.

A very similar looking anglo has been discussed on CNet (though not related to actual Hohner or Thomann look-a-likes). If you search the internet you'll find some hints suggesting that at least the reeds get still mounted that way...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I think that the ones that are listed as "Made in Italy" are re-badged Stagi concertinas.

Yes, they will stem from the Bastari/Stagi family tree (where ever they might be produced nowadays - I believe it's still Italy).

Nevertheless, the one I pointed out may have got "individual levers" and flat mounted reeds, which is uncommon for those brothers and sisters (and might be regarded as an advantage)...

Here's an earlier thread: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6289

I owned a cheap Chinese concertina for a while, and while the ends were very similar to a Rochelle, the internals were not. I've seen many others in shops that are the same way. Everyone in the thread quoted above who has actually tried a no-name Chinese concertina noted the same thing. As Wim wrote:

Finally, about ‘our’ Rochelle,

There is quite a lot of difference between the cheap clones and the Rochelle. The Rochelle is a European concertina (designed and owned by me), made exclusively for us in China, to my specifications/standards, using some European parts. We even have our own quality controller in the factory, which by the way, is not the same as the Clover shop.

The Rochelle/Jackie/Jack are the only European concertinas that are made in China.

The other concertinas are Chinese instruments; designed/copied, developed, made and marketed by Chinese companies. When in doubt if you have a Rochelle or clone, just open the instrument and compare the action, reeds, valves, etc…

I'm also the owner of a no name concertina, (and I can't even prove it's Chinese), It's internals, the bellows, buttons and handstraps are nothing but rubbish! But the strange thing is that it keeps on working, (besides two broken spring), and what can you ecpect for € 90? Not much thought or love have been put into this concertina, and you really need to be blind not to see the obvious difference between a real Rochelle and my black ends/bellows with white button concertina.

But then I only need it to keep going until my new concertina arrives, so that I in the mean time can retain a sort of concertina feeling in the fingers.

And sure € 375 might not be expensive for the Rochelle, but but but ... it really depends ...

Edited by Hasse

I think that the ones that are listed as "Made in Italy" are re-badged Stagi concertinas.
Yes, they will stem from the Bastari/Stagi family tree (where ever they might be produced nowadays - I believe it's still Italy).

Nevertheless, the one I pointed out may have got "individual levers" and flat mounted reeds, which is uncommon for those brothers and sisters (and might be regarded as an advantage)...

I agree that those levers are probably better, but it's extremely unlikely that you'll find a Bastari/Stagi that has them. It's my impression that they were used only on a small number of early Bastaris. I don't know if flat-mounted reeds are really an advantage - I used to believe that (don't remember where I go the idea) but Wim Wakker says that, other things being equal, it's not true, and I don't have any evidence to indicate that he's wrong