Gold Finished Bellows

• 1 month later...

That's very pretty Bob. It certainly gives the instrument a very nice, finished look. I'm a little confused as to how it works, though. Do you pound it into the leather, or is it a heated tool? And what causes the gold to be deposited, or is that added as a second step?

If this counts as trade secrets, please don't divulge, but I'm just curious.

:)

Steven

That pattern tickles me. I sent a scrap of leather from a dead Lachenal to a firm in England. They cut gold finishing tools in the same manner as was popular in the 18th and 19th century.

It cost a fair amount of money and a good patient wait as well.

Traditional gold tooling is a fairly complex art, I purchased a technical manual published in England and studied it carefully for several months.

I wish I could tell you that I have successfully mastered the skill, but far far from it.

I had to build a finishing stove to properly heat the gold tool. Time, temperature and pressure are three variables that have to be judged by experience.

You better believe me when I say you get just one bite at the apple at this gold finishing, any booboos are there to stay! And the ARE booboos on this instrument, I just photographed the best attempts.

However, the results are purty and I will get better as time and bellows pass.

I will have the Jeffries pattern cut into a tool next.

I am thinking of Hula Dancers as well. Perhaps a Harley Davidson logo?

Bob Tedrow