Is this a Lachenal?

Daniel Hersh

It's here. Looks like a mahogany-ended Lachenal in most respects, but I was surprised at the beveled edge on the ends and handrests. I couldn't spot the Lachenal maker's mark on either handrest, though the angle of the photos isn't ideal for that. It occurred to me that it might be a "Tidder" -- or perhaps just a Lachenal after all?

Edited by Daniel Hersh

It has several similarities with this German made Schuster copy of a Wheatstone English.

The texture and colour of the wood, shape and size of the endbolts, and the fretwork style are all similar and distinctive. The seller of the anglo also says it is marked with a letter 'S'

The fretwork does seem similar to Lachenal but a bit heavier cut. The handrests are taller than the ones on mine. It seems like the screw heads are larger than mine also.

How nice that someone so carefully carved the notes next to the buttons for easy reference.

Thanks, Theo -- I didn't even think of Schuster.

It has several similarities with this German made Schuster copy of a Wheatstone English.

The texture and colour of the wood, shape and size of the endbolts, and the fretwork style are all similar and distinctive. The seller of the anglo also says it is marked with a letter 'S'