Who are the concertina pros?

I read somewhere a description of William Kimber as a bricklayer by trade and a musician and dancer by profession.

The word comes from Latin words that mean to put yourself forward in public ie assert what you are.

We all know nowadays that a professional player is one whose main income and main activity is public paid performance and who commands that income by virtue of their mastery and esteem of the paying public who pay with no coercion. Such players, starting from a base of innate talent and drive, can spend a great amount of time ,and often sacrifice, on their craft, and achieve the standard we others may aspire to. I am grateful to them as I am to my professional football team Sheffield United!

Apart from educational awards I don't think such players should expect public funding i.e. as a subsidy. I suppose some can be helped on their way by the help and sacrifice of parents or inherited wealth but like climbers, painters, hip hop artist etc it is their choice and they know the odds of success are slim.

My son is Professor of Physics which is recognition by his peers of his achievements. I suppose he has 'put himself forward' by virtue of theses and published works which are refereed and found worthy

'Professor' Maccann had a self adopted title ( I don't think it would be conferred) which seemed to be acceptable in the 19th century when performers taught and performed to a high level, but some could be quacks or charlatans as could 'Professors' who sold 'snake oil'

In our field I reckon most are semi-pro and either sign-on, act as houseperson or hold down a full time or part time job or profession , the criterion being that, for the music, they are voluntarily paid for what they do and hence found worthwhile entertainers. I was a full time teacher and parent, and played in pubs , clubs and as a band member for fun and extra money. I never had any ambition to try to go full time. But now I am retired I realise that I could have achieved a lot higher standard as a young man with good guidance and luck. However there woud have been costs as well as benefits

Is a busker with no other means of income or public support , and I know several, a professional , or merely paid to go elesewhere ?wink.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often, in my early days of playing, sat in Central Park or Battery Park and opened my case and played. My partner Joey Bello, Mandolinist, and I would often play in NYC's Little Italy. It was not unusual to earn couple hundred dollars in an evening. Eventually I was hired. Either by one of the cafes or restaurants and also by the city to perform full time at the South Street Seaport. While I made very good money and was paid as a professional, I had to be at a certain place at a certain time and in some cases had a "costume" to wear.

As hard as it was, I look back on the days as a busker now with great fondness.

rss

While I made very good money and was paid as a professional, I had to be at a certain place at a certain time

That applies to most professionals, in any occupation

and in some cases had a "costume" to wear.

That too.

Do you want fries with that?

[Well, rightly or wrongly m3838, the way I see it, a Lawyer who earns his living being a Lawyer, but who also plays a Concertina as a hobby, is surely a Professional Lawyer, not a Professional Concertina Player. ] this is my point about the extremely recent narrowing of the paradigm as to how many metiers a person can be highly accomplished in. the idea of the "renaissance person" seems to have gotten lost in the last century or so. there is an unconscious rage in american society at least against those who can use their right-brain and left-brain sides to a high degree. the resentment is particularly discernible toward those who can do a left-brain metier requiring a high degree of education and professional specialization---i mean, paddy canny was a professional dairy farmer as well as a professional musican, and willy clancy was a professional coffin maker as well as a professional musician. bill loughnane, master musician of east clare and mainstay of the tulla ceili band in its glory days, was a doctor. davinci was a professional scientist as well as a professional artist. the great traditional artists of american-indian country are artists as well as cops, housewives, teachers, factory workers, etc. this has been going on since human history began; it's only recently that toxic dualism has set in. this is still going on even in itm, but the itm dual-pros keep mum about their other careers because of the noxious contemporary stereotype against multiple mastery. half of lunasa and danu are doctors and lawyers, folks! and 85% to 95% of those kiddies on the comhaltas live videos and rte radio's "bloom of youth" are going to university to qualify in professions----that is a fact. felix castro is a professional-quality lawyer and a professional quality musician, regardless of which metier provides the bulk of his living.

my theory about the advent of the dualistic paradigm is that the corporate-capitalist machine forces so many people to give up their right-brain side in order to "succeed" in left-brain fields that there is unconscious jealousy and envy toward those who can do both to a high degree of proficiency. "renaissance" style multiplicity of mastery MUST BE STAMPED OUT---because millions more COULD do both to a high degree of profiency----but if they were busy getting good at art forms, they wouldn't be buying enough video games, iphones, flat screen tvs and tickets to big-time corproate sports or bigtime corporate "entertainment to feed the corporate-capitalist machine!

Edited by ceemonster

well, clearly, the word professional means different things to different people. to me, an american, a professional is someone who can do something at a "professional level." then this opens the door of what constitutes a professional level of playing/etc. so, in summary:

1.) some people agree with me

2.) some people think it means someone who derives their living from a trade

i think that #2 is silly, because to me i know many professionals who happen to have another source of income.

that being said, i think it was established earlier on by looking at the original post and subsequent nitpicking, that the context of this discussion is viewpoint #2. so, i agree with anyone who contends that position #1 is more apt a definition, but i also concede that some people have a different opinion, and more importantly, the conversation was established to have meant point 2, ignoring the diverging definitions of the term professional.

i am enjoying the discussion, especially the william kimber biographical information.

edit:

this little summary seems a bit moot, and it is... i had originally tacked something onto the end of it, but i saw that someone already included the information i was looking for. i just can't delete it, so i might as well leave it!

Edited by david_boveri

[Well, rightly or wrongly m3838, the way I see it, a Lawyer who earns his living being a Lawyer, but who also plays a Concertina as a hobby, is surely a Professional Lawyer, not a Professional Concertina Player. ] this is my point about the extremely recent narrowing of the paradigm as to how many metiers a person can be highly accomplished in. the idea of the "renaissance person" seems to have gotten lost in the last century or so. there is an unconscious rage in american society at least against those who can use their right-brain and left-brain sides to a high degree. the resentment is particularly discernible toward those who can do a left-brain metier requiring a high degree of education and professional specialization---i mean, paddy canny was a professional dairy farmer as well as a professional musican, and willy clancy was a professional coffin maker as well as a professional musician. bill loughnane, master musician of east clare and mainstay of the tulla ceili band in its glory days, was a doctor. davinci was a professional scientist as well as a professional artist. the great traditional artists of american-indian country are artists as well as cops, housewives, teachers, factory workers, etc. this has been going on since human history began; it's only recently that toxic dualism has set in. this is still going on even in itm, but the itm dual-pros keep mum about their other careers because of the noxious contemporary stereotype against multiple mastery. half of lunasa and danu are doctors and lawyers, folks! and 85% to 95% of those kiddies on the comhaltas live videos and rte radio's "bloom of youth" are going to university to qualify in professions----that is a fact. felix castro is a professional-quality lawyer and a professional quality musician, regardless of which metier provides the bulk of his living.

my theory about the advent of the dualistic paradigm is that the corporate-capitalist machine forces so many people to give up their right-brain side in order to "succeed" in left-brain fields that there is unconscious jealousy and envy toward those who can do both to a high degree of proficiency. "renaissance" style multiplicity of mastery MUST BE STAMPED OUT---because millions more COULD do both to a high degree of profiency----but if they were busy getting good at art forms, they wouldn't be buying enough video games, iphones, flat screen tvs and tickets to big-time corproate sports or bigtime corporate "entertainment to feed the corporate-capitalist machine!

My, my. An interesting discussion becoming a polemic commentary on american capitalism, brain dysfunction, and corporate enterprise.

My guitarist is a partner with a law firm. He also plays violin, piano, viola and paints. My pianist, who also is a virtuoso violin player, is a researcher for an agency that does first response in world wide calamities, like Haiti. I also work with a world class accordion player who is currently with the embassy in South Africa and has just produced his second solo album and plays all around the world. He is also a first class circus juggler. And we all receive ample compensation for everything we do.Whether that be monetary, professional, or personal.The artistic news in the US that makes it the world press is no different than what we see here from other countries. There are amazing individuals that use their mind and soul to create and be proficient on many levels at many things. But "toxic dualism"...I hope you are being tongue in cheeky.

The renaissance person is alive and well. Here and there. Because of society and in spite of it.

Peace. rss

Edited by Randy Stein

my theory about the advent of the dualistic paradigm is that the corporate-capitalist machine forces so many people to give up their right-brain side in order to "succeed" in left-brain fields that there is unconscious jealousy and envy those who can do both to a high degree of proficiency. "renaissance" style multiplicity of mastery MUST BE STAMPED OUT---because millions more COULD do both to a high degree of profiency----but if they were busy getting good at art forms, they wouldn't be buying enough video games, iphones, flat screen tvs and tickets to big-time corproate sports or bigtime corporate "entertainment to feed the corporate-capitalist machine!

That's a light weighted theory.

Corporate culture nurtures and is proud of people with multiple talents. Company shows, Talent shows, invitations of famous cultural figures for speaking on Company's expense etc.

Division of labour made work very intensive and goods cheap. Another aspect is comparison of wages between artists and craftsmen. San Francisco Symphony musician makes some $60K a year. Minimum income for family of 4 in their own house is $100K. Equally good programmer working for Google makes $150K to $200K a year.

It can be argued that fully developed person will have broader spectrum of interests and enough money to invest in multiple hobbies and past time. Better all over education is good for corporate-capitalist machine, whether it exists or not.

It was also argued by Leo Tolstoy, that professional engagement in arts is reactionary, serves only the whims of upper classes and is far from real art. He was opposed to art schools and made jokes about large art productions of his day. To Tolstoy, there is nothing more humiliating that be called "professional artist". Chehkov, another great Russian Author, was proud of his medical background. He wasn't great doctor, but good enough to earn a living. Both had to abandon their trades (Tolstoy was professional Hussar in the rank of Colonel) and dedicate most time to writing. In his 45yo Tolstoy's estate was bringing him some 500-700K rubles a year. His books were making him 800 000 rubles a year.

Famous Russian Actor, Vladimir Vysotsky, was making modest living in theatre and movies, but real fame attained through his songs, which he accompanied on guitar. Songs didn't bring him any wealth, only threats from officials. Another significant Russian composer and performer,

, doctor in the past, still introduces himself as such.

So integrated brain exists, only one can't always make a living by it. However I don't believe man ever could. In this respect nothing changed.

Edited by m3838

Looking again at the Dictionary definition for Professional, it is clear that we are ALL CORRECT ...... & ALL WRONG! :P

Professional

pro⋅fes⋅sion⋅al

Pronunciation [pruh-fesh-uh-nl]

–adjective

1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.

3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.

4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.

5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.

6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.”

7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.

8. of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment.

9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.

–noun

10. a person who belongs to one of the professions, esp. one of the learned professions.

11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.

12. an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.

13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

It's an interesting topic though, especially when you look at classical Greek philosophy, where I believe music was one of the 4 disicplines and musicians were classed as disciplinarians.

i.e.:

Doctor-professional

Stone Mason-tradesman

Musician-disciplinarian

Your place in society was apparently based on the Greek's perception of utility, so a mason back then, was more utilitarian then a doctor. :blink:

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of this, but the disciplines superceeded the orders of utility and basically, the disciplinarians were the coolest. .... I can go along with that! :lol:

However, this whole discussion is kind of going round in circles, because the term 'professional' has evolved over the years and where it once was used only in reference to practictioners of medicine, law or divinity, it has now expanded to include other professions (like architecture, teaching, nursing, therapists, etc) as well as the arts and sports.

It seems like the term is often appropriated by any group that wants to acquire a degree of esteem or authority (while the traditional 'professions' fight to keep the term all to themselves to protect their own validity).

Professional 'artist' (musician, painter, actor...whatever...) is a funny term because it takes two words that have somewhat fuzzy definitions and combines them into one totally incomprehensible glob. :rolleyes:

To many people - the term 'Artist' is actually more meaningful than 'professional', so to them - adding professional to it, actually denigrates it a little bit, whereas those who are more insecure might want to use the professional designation, because it makes them feel more respectable.

That's why I'm quite happy to think of myself simply as a full time Musician & would far rather be thought of as an Artist, than as a Professional!

After all, we should never forget what the world's oldest profession is ..... :P

Cheers

Dick

Many years ago when I was getting my basic training with a firm of accountants, an accountant who after qualifying took up employment with an industrial/commercial company was said to have 'left the profession' !! I have not heard the term used in more recent years.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

[That's a light weighted theory.] Why, thank you.

[Corporate culture nurtures and is proud of people with multiple talents. Company shows, Talent shows, invitations of famous cultural figures for speaking on Company's expense etc.] the fact that corporations sponsor "cultural enrichment events" for their employees is completely inapposite on the question of whether they want the pool of consumers out there to become artists in their spare time rather than consume "entertainment" products.

and as for corporations being "proud of people with multiple talents," while that too is completely irrelevant to the consumer point i was making, i assure you that the corporate employees i know who practice artistic metiers at a high enough level of proficiency to have "other lives" in those metiers, tend to be very discreet about that fact with their corporate masters and their HR departments.

[That's a light weighted theory.] Why, thank you.

[Corporate culture nurtures and is proud of people with multiple talents. Company shows, Talent shows, invitations of famous cultural figures for speaking on Company's expense etc.] the fact that corporations sponsor "cultural enrichment events" for their employees is completely inapposite on the question of whether they want the pool of consumers out there to become artists in their spare time rather than consume "entertainment" products.

and as for corporations being "proud of people with multiple talents," while that too is completely irrelevant to the consumer point i was making, i assure you that the corporate employees i know who practice artistic metiers at a high enough level of proficiency to have "other lives" in those metiers, tend to be very discreet about that fact with their corporate masters and their HR departments.

From what you say, it sounds a bit like these corporate professionals are in some ways ashamed of their artistic other lives, when they are in corporate circles & likewise ashamed of their corporate lives, when in musical circles! :blink:

What's the word for a split personality again .... ? ;)

I must say, it all sounds far too complicated, to me.

Thank goodness, wherever I go, I can just be ... Me! :)

Cheers

Dick

I'm a musician by profession.

That is to say, all my income is derived from playing, writing, teaching, recording and producing music. (and has been for many years)

I don't make musical instruments (although I have), I tend to break them and have them repaired.

I play the English Concertina, in public and on record. (sometimes!)

I'm very "ordinary" at it.

............ does that help?

I think I'm a retired University teacher ( my profession) who always had a vocation or calling , rather than a hobby, as a musician and was lucky enough to make a few bob on the side.

Steady Michael, we're having enough bother here already, trying to sort out a definition for the word Professional, that everyone can agree on. ;)

Perhaps you could start another thread, where we can all argue the toss over the words Vocation, Calling & Hobby! :lol:

I wonder if there's a Word Definition Forum somewhere on line, where, at this very moment, they are discussing .................... Concertinas! B)

Cheers

Dick