The Three Sea Captains

Alan Day

An old tune learnt at Sidmouth many years ago

The Three Sea Captains

Now, just where did you dredge this tune up from, Al? ;) It's a lovely tune and you play it beautifully, as always. By coincidence, I happen to have the sheet music for it standing in front of me, waiting for me to learn play it myself. That and several other tunes. :(

Chris

Many thanks Chris and Leo for your comments,pleased you like it.

At Sidmouth a chap came up to me after the session and we discussed tunes and he asked me if I knew this one and another and la la'd it into my tape recorder. I took a chance on naming this one ,I had a fifty- fifty chance of naming it correctly.I do dredge these tunes up, my memory for tunes is considerably better than it is for names and most other things.

Al

At Sidmouth a chap came up to me after the session and we discussed tunes and he asked me if I knew this one and another and la la'd it into my tape recorder.

He must have la la'd it very well, Al.

I took a chance on naming this one ,I had a fifty- fifty chance of naming it correctly.I do dredge these tunes up, my memory for tunes is considerably better than it is for names and most other things.

Just as well you remember who you are, Al! ;)

Al, I seriously think you should follow Jody and release a CD of your own. It would contain a mixture of your own delightful compositions and some of your favourite other tunes, inc. Constant Billy! If you laid down a dozen or so tracks, that would probably amount to some 55-60 mins worth of material, enough to fill a CD without getting boring. I am sure there would be lots of folks out there who admire your playing and your own compositions, who would jump at the chance to buy one, to listen to, simply for pleasure, and additionally, for inspiration. Please give it some thought. Have a chat with Graham! ;)

Chris

At Sidmouth a chap came up to me after the session and we discussed tunes and he asked me if I knew this one and another and la la'd it into my tape recorder.

He must have la la'd it very well, Al.

I took a chance on naming this one ,I had a fifty- fifty chance of naming it correctly.I do dredge these tunes up, my memory for tunes is considerably better than it is for names and most other things.

Just as well you remember who you are, Al! ;)

Al, I seriously think you should follow Jody and release a CD of your own. It would contain a mixture of your own delightful compositions and some of your favourite other tunes, inc. Constant Billy! If you laid down a dozen or so tracks, that would probably amount to some 55-60 mins worth of material, enough to fill a CD without getting boring. I am sure there would be lots of folks out there who admire your playing and your own compositions, who would jump at the chance to buy one, to listen to, simply for pleasure, and additionally, for inspiration. Please give it some thought. Have a chat with Graham! ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris I will give it some thought. Mike Ainscough (Will Fly)and I are having a get together to do a few recordings and possibly a couple of Gigs so something may come out of that. Mike is an X Jazz guitarist and an absolutely superb player of all types of music.

A few of you may have noticed that my style is changing to make more use of the accidentals and I shall be discussing this approach at Bradfield Concertina discussion and afterwards on here. I have a long way to go yet to perfect it.This tune for example took MANY takes before I posted it.

Al

I , too, would be so pleased to have a CD of your playing, Al. I learn something everytime I hear you record, particularly on the left hand........................and it is the sympathetic interplay between the left and right hand that I find so attractive about your playing and why I find this style of playing on the anglo so appealing.

When you say you are looking to play more accidentals , am I right in thinking you mean notes from the accidental row ( ie and extra notes on the 38 key) . So the same note on a "reverse" button?

Regards Robin

I , too, would be so pleased to have a CD of your playing, Al. I learn something everytime I hear you record, particularly on the left hand........................and it is the sympathetic interplay between the left and right hand that I find so attractive about your playing and why I find this style of playing on the anglo so appealing.

When you say you are looking to play more accidentals , am I right in thinking you mean notes from the accidental row ( ie and extra notes on the 38 key) . So the same note on a "reverse" button?

Regards Robin

Thank you Robin. It is a bit premature but,when you buy an Anglo as a beginner most, me included, start with twenty buttons and then move on to a concertina with accidentals. My thinking and a lot of you, I suspect, view these extra buttons as assistance to the main twenty we all start from. (The Major twenty buttons on the middle and bottom rows).

If you bought a Duet it would be different , all the buttons are important,not just twenty. So I did a rethink and started to use the accidentals as major buttons as well. Playing across three rows instead of two gives so many more options for chords and runs. As you suggest Robin same note opposite direction.

I start working out these tunes at about a third of the finish speed and by ear I play what I think sounds right. To a trained musician I may provide interest, but not necessarily impress.I think as an untrained musician I have to accept that there may be far better options than the ones chosen. I think this aspect makes me wary of putting out a CD,but the kind words posted certainly makes me think that it could be a possible future project to seriously consider.

Al

• 2 years later...