Sidmouth late night extra band

I have come across an old tape that I must have recorded live at one of the Sidmouth late night extra dances, late 70's or early 80's. It features a great sounding band including Nigel Chippendale on Anglo/Melodeon and Laurie Harper on fiddle, with a sax and brass section.

Has anyone any idea who they were?

Another clue is that Ralph Jordan did a floor spot inbetween dances accompanying a mystery female singer on 'Hard Times' and 'a Blacksmith courted me' to a hymn tune.

Any thoughts?

I have come across an old tape that I must have recorded live at one of the Sidmouth late night extra dances, late 70's or early 80's. It features a great sounding band including Nigel Chippendale on Anglo/Melodeon and Laurie Harper on fiddle, with a sax and brass section.

Has anyone any idea who they were?

Another clue is that Ralph Jordan did a floor spot inbetween dances accompanying a mystery female singer on 'Hard Times' and 'a Blacksmith courted me' to a hymn tune.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the band Penny Hop also known as The Hop, who were an occasional big band amalgam of Pyewackett, Nigel Chippendale, and I think there may even have been bits of the Oyster Ceilidh Band in there. The female singer may have been either Cathy LeSurf or Rosie Cross, both of whom were part of the band at various stages. Hugh Rippon and Mike Barraclough called with them, and many of the same musicians were also responsible for The Improbability Ceilidh Band, the one-night-only house band of the Ceilidh At The End Of The Universe in Drilliways (the Drill Hall) in 1981, as described in more detail by me here.

Very fond memories of Penny Hop (I suspect I may well have been at the very same LNE, as I don't think they did that many!) and I would love to hear that tape if you ever transcribe it into something more digital :)

Well that's decided what music I'm playing tonight, a quick canter through some of 'Chippendale's Cheery Tunes' ...

The other possibility is the Eric Big Band which I've heard mentioned by Ralph. I've sent him a link to this, so maybe he might be able to provide an authoritative response (or not)?

Edited by Irene S

Thanks for this info. Penny Hop does ring a bell, so that may well be them.

I have mp3'ed the tape, but as it's around 50Mbit, it's not easy to pass around. I'm fairly new to forums - what's the simple way of sharing this file?

By the way, there are just 3 or 4 dances plus the floor spot and the quality is not great, but when they get into full swing on 'Banish Misfortune', it's still a treat to hear. There is a certainly a recorder player, plus Piers(?) on drums, an electric bass plus sax and possible slide trombone.

It was almost certainly "The Hop" and I was there. Roger Watson was the caller.

This was the year that " Eric" did a concert in The Big Shed that was near to the beach. (I cannot remember its name).

As far as I am concerned The Hop were the best Country Dance Band I have ever heard. There were major sound problems at the Late Night Extra that night but they were outstanding. This Band can be heard on the "Nigel Chippendale Out Takes " Cassette issued when he sadly died of cancer. This is the source of The "Eric" recording of Nigel on the Anglo International CD One- "Petit Waltz". If ever I did a Folk Band International this group would be the first on my list.

Al

This was the year that " Eric" did a concert in The Big Shed that was near to the beach. (I cannot remember its name).

SWEB stores?

Gav (off to play yet another LNE this year in less elegant company)

SWEB stores?

Yes I think it was The Beach Store

Al

A Glory-ous occasion, by any chance ??

Indeed, plus a more serious Hekety LNE on the following evening.

OK.

As definitive as I can remember! Year 1982/3?

Eric (Me, Nigel and Colin Thompson were asked to do LNE on maybe the Thursday?

We realised very early in the week that a trio trying to lead a bunch of drunks at an LNE was not really on!

So, Nigel started offering the kings shilling to all musos available, and with his inate charm (Be there or else!) managed to put together the band that has been referred to.

Although the memory of that night has been mailnly expunged. I'll try and list who I vaguely remember turning up.

Caller either Roger Watson or Eddie Upton (maybe both?)

ERIC. (Stars of the show natch!)

In no particular order.

Fiddles.

Fi Fraser (maybe doubled on Clarinet)

Taz Tarry

Flos Headford

Paul Burgess.

Brass.

Johnny Adams

Roger Watson

Glyn Birch

Jo Freya (Whistles and saxes)

Chris Coe (Hammer Dulcimer)

Packie Byrne (Whistle and smiling!)

Len the Bones (Bones!)

Pierce Butler Drums (I think)

Ian Blake (Clari and Sax)

Judy (Pipes)

Thats about all I can remember, and profuse apologies to all I have missed out.

It was one of those gigs.

And to whoever has a recording. I would love to hear it!!

Regards Ralphie.

Poor FOH engineer had to be carried out!

Happy Days though.

PS I was playing with Jo Freya on Hard Times and The Blacksmith, and have no memory of that at all!

Edited by Ralph Jordan

We realised very early in the week that a trio trying to lead a bunch of drunks at an LNE was not really on!

I remember it well - kind of - I was one of those 'drunks' at the LNE!

Steve

Ralphie! Welcome, welcome and thrice welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Chris

I third that.

This is not the night I was referring to it was definitely The Hop and not the line up you mention.

Nigel ,The Pywacket clarinet player, Roger Watson Melodion and calling etc. Must try and find this cassette a give you all a blast of it.

Al

Hi Alan.

You're probably correct.

Maybe the Hop did another night. I've been reminded that Laurie Harper was also in the string section.

Not sure if Bill Martin was playing keyboards.

Could well have been. It was a bit of a bun fight after all!

Ah well. It matters not in the great scheme of things.

I'm just so happy that I was lucky enough to have been involved.

RIP Nigel. And thanks for the Millet Curry and the Pina Coladas.

Thanks to all for your memories.

Ralphie

I'm curious about "Len the Bones," I've never heard of him. From the picture, it looks like he knows what he's doing. What more can you tell me about him? A web search on that name doesn't turn up anything. Are there any recordings of him?

As a bones player myself, I'm a bit curious. See http://bones.JeffLeff.com/ if you like.

I've excerpted Len from the photo posted for context.

LenBones.jpg

I'm curious about "Len the Bones," I've never heard of him. From the picture, it looks like he knows what he's doing. What more can you tell me about him? A web search on that name doesn't turn up anything. Are there any recordings of him?

As a bones player myself, I'm a bit curious. See http://bones.JeffLeff.com/ if you like.

Hi again.

I never knew Lens surname. But he was an excellent bones player. (Not normally a fan of the instrument, mainly because so many people are rubbish at it, Shaky eggs syndrome!)

I think he died a few years ago, maybe a request on Mudcat might turn up something.

IIRC I don't think we even asked him to play that night, he was just there!! (He was always "just there"!)

But, considering the musical carnage that was going on that night, it didn't seem to matter!

Oh, and I'm sure Alan Rawlinson was playing Trombone too!

Toodle pip

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Jordan