A Beginners C/G Anglo on Ebay

David S

This looks like a good deal for someone just starting out on the Anglo - and the seller is a known musician, so it should be OK

Sutherland C/G anglo with Italian reeds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sutherland-C-G-Anglo...A1%7C240%3A1318

David. (No personal interest in the sale - just happened to see it there and I know that there are always folk on the lookout for a starter instrument!)

Edited by David S

This looks like a good deal for someone just starting out on the Anglo - and the seller is a known musician, so it should be OK

Sure looks nice -- like that 1930s toaster style (Art Deco?) fretwork in the metal ends.

Wonder what the button action feels like? --Mike K.

This looks like a re-badged Bastari/Stagi. I believe that it's their W-15 model, as in this pic from their web site:

5conc.jpg

Daniel

Sure looks nice -- like that 1930s toaster style (Art Deco?) fretwork in the metal ends.

Some of these actions have been adapted by the owner after they left the factory. But if it is the original action, I assume that it is the same as in the similar looking hohner's and bastari's, the buttons are posted on the ends of the levers and held in place by rubber bands. It is okay for a starter concertina, but if you play fast then the button may shift on the lever and the button can easy be repositioned but you will have to stop playing to do that. The action in a Rochelle is better.

Some of these actions have been adapted by the owner after they left the factory. But if it is the original action, I assume that it is the same as in the similar looking hohner's and bastari's, the buttons are posted on the ends of the levers and held in place by rubber bands. It is okay for a starter concertina, but if you play fast then the button may shift on the lever and the button can easy be repositioned but you will have to stop playing to do that. The action in a Rochelle is better.

Right. SOmeone loaned me a starter cheapo EC, whose buttons are held onto the levers with rubber tubing, and a couple important notes are always shifting along the lever so the buttons jam up and the note ciphers (keeps sounding).

FWIW the Stagi Hayden Duets use a much less troublesome action, and I htink most newer Stagis above the starter level do the same. --Mike K.

You don't suppose it could be one of the type Ken wrote about a while back with the "real concertina action" spoke of in this article: http://www.concertina.net/kc_bastari.html

That might be too much to wish for, but, if it is it could be a real bargain.

I'm really curious, but since I live in the US, the auction said I can't bid on it, so........?????

Leo

Extremely unlikely, I'd say. I believe that this was Bastari's only 30-button model for many years, and there are hundreds or thousands of them floating around. (I had one as myself as my only concertina for a few years in the early 1980's.) I would think that the chances of finding another oddball like Ken's concertina would be very low.

You don't suppose it could be one of the type Ken wrote about a while back with the "real concertina action" spoke of in this article: http://www.concertina.net/kc_bastari.html

That might be too much to wish for, but, if it is it could be a real bargain.

I'm really curious, but since I live in the US, the auction said I can't bid on it, so........?????

Leo