Concertina Clown

This story has taken an interesting twist, or is it a somersault.

I went to Horley last Week to the place where the Circus was supposed to be and nothing there. The same on Monday at a different venue and also not there. I have looked on their website and they have moved the circus to the Horsham area the same time as it was supposed to be near here. The Popolinos are booked for Horsham, but a week later another Clown Act is booked in their place. They are also advertising for a Box Office person. Now there is a number of two plus two's equals five.

Al :(

Strange coincidence that Roger Digby should be writing about a Duet of Concertina and Trumpet.I attach an advert for a Circus (no animals) that is appearing locally.The advert shows a Concertina playing clown.I have not heard of a modern playing clown (apart from me) since about the Fifties.We had a discussion about clowns and concertinas some time ago.

Shame it is a cheapo he is playing, but I will try and see this chap and I will report back.

Al :rolleyes:

Harlan Glotzer evokes a Carnival sound for his performances with Toy Box Trio but does not wear a clown suit. He plays a Stagi English I believe

while his band members play Toy Piano , Viola and sometimes a typewriter

www.myspace.com/toyboxtrio

However, I did have a red nose ball that was given to me by a gal from Circue Du Soleil , but I haven't seen it lately.

One never knows, It might still be on the end of my nose.

Hi Al,

Well, another clown playing concertina is not dating back to the fifties, although this clown is older than us and he started playing music in the 30-ies??? I am not wure when he started to play concertina.

It is a Dutch concertina playing clown called Tobi Rix, a very good musician. Apart from two types of concertinas, a mini concertina and a "normal size" concertina, probably an EC, he plays a lot of instruments more. I cannot find any concertina recordings of him out on the WWW, but there must be something on vinyl or even 78-lp.

You can see him here on youtube on another kind of instrument, the toeterix (would that be a hornix in english?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sAbQwSXi8

His web site shows a picture of him with a mini concertina

http://www.tobyrix.com/vroeger.html

Marien.

Edited by marien

Strange coincidence that Roger Digby should be writing about a Duet of Concertina and Trumpet.I attach an advert for a Circus (no animals) that is appearing locally.The advert shows a Concertina playing clown.I have not heard of a modern playing clown (apart from me) since about the Fifties.We had a discussion about clowns and concertinas some time ago.

Shame it is a cheapo he is playing, but I will try and see this chap and I will report back.

Harlan Glotzer evokes a Carnival sound for his performances with Toy Box Trio but does not wear a clown suit. He plays a Stagi English I believe

However, I did have a red nose ball that was given to me by a gal from Circue Du Soleil , but I haven't seen it lately.

Ah here it is! understand this is my just my lounging around the house clothes, and before the mustache came back

post-7478-1241068971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael Ducky Raley

Ah here it is! understand this is my just my lounging around the house clothes, and before the mustache came back

Sooo! Michael, Are you standing on your head or hanging by your feet? :unsure:

• 5 months later...

I was putting together an events guide this week and guess what I should be given to put under the section for the 'Moscow State Circus' a photo of a clown playing a English Concertina. lol!

Can't post pic here in case I break some kinda copyright or something.