Ebonizing

I have a 6 sided Lachenal EC with ebonized ends - and pieces missing from the fretwork. I'm thinking about patching up the ends.

The ends do not appear to be veneered but do appear to be laminated.

It looks like the laminate is 3 ply - possibly rosewood.

Any ideas which wood species may have been used originally for the ends?

Would ebony laminate have been used prior to ebonizing or maybe some other species (in this case possibly rosewood)?

And what stain to use to get the stained ebonized ends? (Getting black wood stain is almost impossible).

I'd like to try and get a close match with both the wood and the staining before French polishing.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,The only problem you may have with aniline dye is they fade quite quickly in light.unless you are re staining the whole end you may end up with it a bit patchy in a few years.There is a way that is colour fast which I have used lot in the past but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've done a fair amount of french polishing.It is a finish made from old 78s dissolved in methylated spirit which needs to be over coated with many coats of french polish. David

.It is a finish made from old 78s dissolved in methylated spirit which needs to be over coated with many coats of french polish. David

Just use black French polish available from any good wood finish supplier.