stolen grey paolo soprani

JED

Apologies if I should not post this kind of message here.

Wanted to give a heads up to a stolen Grey Paolo Soprani - stolen from a car in Wicklow/Ireland on 16th March.

Needless to say, the owner is in pieces at his loss - and I'd like to help.

If anyone gets offered such a unit in suspicious circumstances, sees one in a boot sale, etc - I would welcome a private message please.

Ken, Stephen - thank you both for your replies/support.

By fortunate coincidence, I took some photos on Sunday night - see pic uploaded.

Flash photo makes it look like mother-of-pearl is dented - but it is very smooth/unmarked.

Photo shows well-worn brown shoulder strap - black hand strap.

Seems to have grey alu grill - some of the fins on the grill are slightly bent on the outer curve.

I believe it is pretty old - you guys will know more I bet - could it be 50's or 40's or older?

Listening to Pat and my Dad chatting Sunday - I believe it is a two coupler, B/C unit (if that makes sense).

I didn't hear/understand anything about "voice" feature - perhaps obvious to you guys from the photo?

Noticed it was in a box that basically looked like simple plywood - although tapered/shaped a little with usual clasp catches.

Didn't catch it in corner of my photos - shame!

But certainly wasn't fancy/modern looking!

post-7543-1237399002_thumb.jpg

I believe it is pretty old - you guys will know more I bet - could it be 50's or 40's or older?

'40s

... I believe it is a two coupler, B/C unit (if that makes sense).

I didn't hear/understand anything about "voice" feature - perhaps obvious to you guys from the photo?

If it was a 3-voice (= 3 sets of reeds) it would have no couplers, if it has 2 couplers (switches on the grille) it must be a 4-voice, which is pretty rare for one of those older dark grey boxes.

The way the bass handstrap is attached internally is uncommon too, normally they are held by screws on the outside.

'40s

... I believe it is a two coupler, B/C unit (if that makes sense).

If it was a 3-voice (= 3 sets of reeds) it would have no couplers, if it has 2 couplers (switches on the grille) it must be a 4-voice, which is pretty rare for one of those older dark grey boxes.

The way the bass handstrap is attached internally is uncommon too, normally they are held by screws on the outside.

Am I right in assuming that the more rare and unusual items the better because it makes it easier to identify if and when it is fenced?

Ian

No sign of old grey box at various car-boot sales over weekend - despite a fleet of friends ensuring they were first at various meets (6am etc).

Perhaps I've been out of the jumble loop too long - but I find it incredible that it is widely known that the hot stuff gets fenced v-early at these meets, before any element of security or undercover policing might arrive (if they ever arrive).

Anyway, my Mum is still hopeful that it'll get found - and St. Anthony is on a large promise/retainer.

Have you checked ebay?

There's one on there at the moment, but it has the hand strap attached on the outside - in the more normal way:

BOrglWwBWkKGrHgoOKi4EjlLmWWnBJv6zJf.jpg

But I very much doubt if it'll turn up on somewhere as public as eBay, and it may "lay low" for several years to come - judging by my experience of these things. :(

Mind you, you'd wonder if these grey boxes weren't being stolen "to order", as it seems to happen so often and they're never seen again. I'm afraid I know several people who've had them literally taken from at their feet, or under their chair in the last decade - I must be more careful with my own... :unsure:

P10100012-3.jpg

By the way JED, those two "switches" on the grille of the one in the photo above are the couplers. Was the stolen one like that? Or better still, could you post a photo of the grille? (The grille and couplers can be distinctive and help identify the box.)

edited to change photo for a better one of couplers/grille

Edited by Stephen Chambers

If these boxes are being stolen to order I cant see anything more senseless to do than post pictures of your prized possessions alongside your address... ala Stephen! :blink:

So we should give in to these people and hide our "prized possessions" (including pretty much all our concertinas) away where they'll be "safe", and never bring them out for the great pleasure they can bring to ourselves and others, or for them to learn from??? :o

Anyway, my "address" was pretty vague - and I've made it even vaguer now... :P

Edited by Stephen Chambers

JED, I don't know whether you subscribe to Facebook or not, but just in case you do, Ed Rennie, Gareth Kiddier and Ralphie Jordan have started up a group called "Stolen Instrument Gallery" to allow people to post up pics and details of instruments that have gone AWOL with assistance. It can be found at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.p...3869&ref=ts

At the moment it has only two pics, and as Ed stated today, the idea is not to build up a huge gallery (the smaller the better, obviously!) but to provide an outlet to alert members to any stolen instruments that might possibly come their way. Ed is currently urging people to alert as many musicians as possible to the site as obviously the larger the alert membership, the more chances of tracking down the missing item are maximised.