Sessions: What is a Newbie to Do?

I was reading the thread on Session Snobbery, and thought perhaps something outlining sessions might be helpful. (To me, at least!)

I consider myself an "advanced beginner" in terms of music--I've been playing violin for 8 years, fiddle for 5 or so and concertina (English system) since last April, teaching myself. It's not my playing itself that makes me "beginner" in my mind, I've been hired to play (and asked to come back!) and I can usually keep up, I often test myself by playing along with CDs of my favorite groups. I look at what I can't do-learn tunes by ear quickly (as in right there at the session), and playing in high positions on fiddle is a challenge the first time through.

Although I think I'm a decent/relatively good player (this is mostly going on my fiddle playing-concertina has a way to go yet) I know I have very little experience actually playing with other people, and my shyness and stage fright can make sessions daunting, along with the fact that I'm not always sure I'm thinking of the same thing.

The "sessions" that I've been to have been mainly gatherings at living history events of friends who invite friends who invite friends that play music and we get a little bit of everything, mostly a selection of Irish, Scottish and English tunes, sometimes old-time-ified and songs ranging from Zen Gospel Singing (don't ask) the the Darby Ram to a few sea chanties thrown in. It's a lot of fun and we go in a circle with everyone choosing a song, everyone who knows joins in, the song ends and the next person gets to choose. That's what started me on this path of traditional music, and it's where I get the chance to play most often (a few times a year for a week or so at a time). It's very relaxed, everyone is visiting and just playing songs they like for fun.

Then I've also gone to a semi-local group that has sessions once a week in a sort of old fashioned general store. I played there once this winter, but have gone to listen several times. They meet in the great room, form a straggling circle and choose tunes going down the line. They call it a Celtic or Irish session, but I hear a lot of old-time tunes and styles there, which is fine, I like that alright too. The one time I played they were friendly enough although at times it seemed like the guitar player next to me thought I wasn't worthy. Let me defend myself before you start shaking your heads--when my turn to choose came I tried to pick very common tunes that I knew I had heard there before, when I wasn't pretty sure that they would know it I asked if anyone knew it and if they wanted to play it, I was really trying not to tramp on anyone's toes because I know there's a real core of people who are always there and I didn't want to offend.

This summer while in WI (I think I mentioned this before) I noticed that there were sessions at an Irish pub in the town I was staying in, so I went to listen (leaving the fiddle in the car so I could listen for a while). Listened to a few tunes, recognized several, talked to the players in between and they enthusiastically said to join in, so I fetched it and did. They played Irish tunes (understandable) and played them fast. I was able to keep up (thankfully) and had a good time. Next week since I was still in town I went again, there were more people, but they welcomed me again.

Now, these three examples had similarities, but they were also rather different. I'm not sure how well I did at getting that through in my writing, but there was certainly a different feel to them all.

So, which of these is most typical? Are sessions defined differently on different sides of the Atlantic? What are the different types of sessions, how should one behave at them and what should one expect?

Edited by Fiddlehead Fern

Hi Fern

I don't think there is an answer to that. They're as different as walking across the street to another establishment. You don't have to cross the Atlantic to find a difference. The credibility you earn will be developed over a period of time that only experience will overcome. I suspect you'll be invited back a lot once you've earned the recognition in their eyes as a good musician. It takes time to cultivate that.

I myself am puzzled over the whole discussion, and scratch my head in wonder at the expectation that if I went to a music session unknown, and unannounced with instrument in hand anywhere, that I should have an unimpeded right to play just because I want to. I suspect that attitude would be thought of as more than a little arrogant of me to believe that. And the emphasis is on me, not them.

From your three examples given, I personally would change nothing, and keep on being yourself.

Just one old school opinion.

Thanks

Leo :)

I myself am puzzled over the whole discussion, and scratch my head in wonder at the expectation that if I went to a music session unknown, and unannounced with instrument in hand anywhere, that I should have an unimpeded right to play just because I want to. I suspect that attitude would be thought of as more than a little arrogant of me to believe that. And the emphasis is on me, not them.

Over here, most sessions are publicised in some way, whether it's in the folk press, local paper, internet or word of mouth. If I have learned about a session in one of these ways, I wouldn't expect regulars to be suprised or offended if a newcomer were to sit down and get out an instrument - they are, as a rule, for all comers, and this is understood.

If I just stumbled across a few musicians playing in a pub somewhere then I would ask if I could sit in, because in those circumstances it would not be clear if it was an all-comers session or whether they had been asked to perform by the pub landlord and it was an informal concert rather than a session.

I have been to many sessions and most appreciate you playing a tune for them. If you go on a regular basis just pick a tune you like,practice it to as good a standard as you can and introduce it.Do not be concerned that the first ,second or even third time nobody joins in.They are just listening and learning eventually they creep in until eventually at each session everybody plays it. If it is unsuccessful do not be concerned, just find another tune.The same applies with my own tunes if everyone goes out for a pee at the moment I start I have to assume that nobody likes that one and try something else out.As for existing tunes some of the old tunes can get boring and musicians can get fed up with them, so something different would be my advice.Just stick with it. If your playing is so bad, wrong or irregular timing ,wrong B music to the A, Out of tune instrument etc I can then understand a reaction.It is not snobbery it must be seen as a request to try and improve your act.It also explains some of the comments on the snobbery thread where players can start to get angry with someone who tries to dominate or play louder than anyone else when they are not to the standard of the rest.

Be sure it is not you :ph34r:

Al

What!!! But LDT, you're a chronic poster on social forums like these - full of chat & guff. If you enjoy playing a few tunes, you'll fit in well enough with most sessions - that's why people meet up in the first place, they enjoy playing a bit of music.

What!!! But LDT, you're a chronic poster on social forums like these - full of chat & guff. If you enjoy playing a few tunes, you'll fit in well enough with most sessions - that's why people meet up in the first place, they enjoy playing a bit of music.

I don't mind recording tunes..then you get a chance to have several (hundred) goes at getting it right without people getting annoyed and I can have the music written out infront of me. And I don't have to worry about clumsyness when I'm 'online' and I can edit replies so don't accidentally upset people. You can't do that in real life. Plus I always feel awkward in pubs....like I'm not supposed to be there. :unsure:

Plus I always feel awkward in pubs....like I'm not supposed to be there. :unsure:

Ha Ha I know that feeling ... you see, I've been drinking only flavoured water in pubs for the past 20 years! :(

Cheers

Dick

Plus I always feel awkward in pubs....like I'm not supposed to be there. :unsure:

Ha Ha I know that feeling ... you see, I've been drinking only flavoured water in pubs for the past 20 years! :(

Cheers

Dick

I'm nearly 23 but I still feel like someones going to ask for ID or say i'm not old enough.....plus I don't like the taste of alcohol that much. :P

I've not been to one and wouldn't want to go....the concept sound extremely scary....like a nightmare to someone who hates social situations like me.

You want to be careful, you're just the sort of personality who avoids sessions for years, then gets inveigled into one, then dedicates the rest of their lives to playing in sessions. It's a bit like the first time you picked up a concertina...

Just say no.

Chris (God damn the pusher man) Timson

The same applies with my own tunes if everyone goes out for a pee at the moment I start I have to assume that nobody likes that one and try something else out.

Nah, Al, all your own tunes are wonderful. The only reason everyone disappears for a pee at the moment you start playing one is because they've had too much to drink and their bladders are bursting. It's nothing personal. :) And one other thing that puts people off, aside from some tunes which get played so regularly that everyone gets bored to death with them, is turning up at a session late and starting a tune that has already been played once. So, if you are a latecomer, best to ask someone next to you, if such and such a tune has already been played before you launch into it. All the sessions I have been to have always been friendly - most trad musicians are by and large friendly people, I have found - and they usually welcome less experienced musicians, because we all have to start somewhere. And, when you get a bit more confident, as long as you obey session etiquette, don't hang back. I have been to regular sessions of ETM where there may be a dozen musicians but only the same 5 or 6 of them start tunes each session and the rest simply join in with whatever is played if they know it, which is shame.

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

I've not been to one and wouldn't want to go....the concept sound extremely scary....like a nightmare to someone who hates social situations like me.

It is certainly not scary,just come along to the George one night ,let us know you are going and Chris and I will look after you.You know where it is as you went there recently and we play in the first room below the Gallery.First Monday in every Month (unless it is a Bank Holiday and then it is the week after).

Al (Spooky Wooky :ph34r: )

A good idea if you are thinking of joining a session is to go along for several weeks, sit near the musicians, listen to the tunes to see which come up regularly every week and learn some of them. It won't be long before one or more musicians notice you there every week and ask if you like the music. That's your opening to say you play, and you can guarantee you'll be asked to bring along your instrument. You'll also have an unofficial "sponsor" that way who will be happy to see you and try to make you welcome within the group.

Generally (unless you have a large store of tunes) it's better to listen for a few weeks rather than for just few tunes, as by sheer perverseness you might hear 5 tunes in a row that you know but when you get your instrument and sit down you might end up knowing nothing else all night and feel like a lemon. For a while you'll be asked to start some tunes yourself if you don't know the regular ones, but players will get fed up if you don't make the effort to learn the standard repertoire of that session. And sessions are for everyone to play together, so nobody wants to sit around listening to one person play their own tunes all night (unless it's not a session and is more of a "Your turn" folk club thingy). That may sound a bit harsh but even the most saintly people eventually lose their patience.

Edited by Mayofiddler

It is certainly not scary,just come along to the George one night ,let us know you are going and Chris and I will look after you.You know where it is as you went there recently and we play in the first room below the Gallery.First Monday in every Month (unless it is a Bank Holiday and then it is the week after).

Al (Spooky Wooky :ph34r: )

The fish n chips were nice....

me_g2.jpg

first room below the gallery is it? ;)

george4.jpg

You can just go along, sit on the edge of the session and play quietly until you gain confidence. Join in and try to keep up, even if that means missing out notes or even whole phrases - after a while you'll find you can manage more of the tune. Try not to make a nuisance of yourself by interfering with the others' playing. You'll soon find you're accepted and welcomed.

Don't feel pressured to lead a tune if you really don't want to, but in most sessions you'll get nothing but encouragement it you do try one. However, if you continually turn down the offer to lead a tune they may assume you'll never want to, so when you are ready make sure you let the session leader know.

Hi LDT

Just park your Tardis outside for a quick getaway if needed, which I don't think you'll need and take your sidekick with you (There is safety in numbers), take Alan's offer, go and enjoy yourself. You've been practicing for a period of time now, and the idea of practice is so that in case you have to use it for real, you can. Now that the offer is there for real, then put it to use for real. No more excuses!

Wait 'til you get to know everyone. Soon it will be a familiar enough place to be with friends.

I'm nearly 23 but I still feel like someones going to ask for ID or say i'm not old enough.....plus I don't like the taste of alcohol that much. :P

When you're 43 and still carded, you'll probably hug them and thank them for the compliment. I'm still carded and told I'm too young. For those things you need a Social Security card, and it's 5 years away. You don't have to drink alcohol. I'm well past the age of wanting to go out and "gettin a buzz on". Soft drinks like Coke, root beer, 7Up, and ginger ale are good enough for me. No apologies.

Thanks <_<

Leo

(Encouragement, not reprimand) :)

take your sidekick with you (There is safety in numbers), take Alan's offer, go and enjoy yourself.

Might take my Dad along....he says he used to work round that area of London....and he has a beard. ;)

Now any chance of having a session that's just nursary ryhmes...might stand a chance then? :P :unsure: :blink:

Edited by LDT