Another Baritone on the move!

Ptarmigan

What do you make of this?

Although the serial number, 12815, dates it to around the mid-1860s, it has the later oval name and serial number plates, and has clearly been the subject of a factory rebuild, probably in the 1920s.

eBay ~ Wheatstone Baritone

I know folks here reckon the 1920s was the Golden Decade for Concertinas, but would this be reflected in this instrument, I wonder?

Cheers

Dick

What do you make of this?
Although the serial number, 12815, dates it to around the mid-1860s, it has the later oval name and serial number plates, and has clearly been the subject of a factory rebuild, probably in the 1920s.

eBay ~ Wheatstone Baritone

I know folks here reckon the 1920s was the Golden Decade for Concertinas, but would this be reflected in this instrument, I wonder?

Cheers

Dick

Surely asking for an online transfer is a bit suspicious? Why would there be a delay for Paypal; it is an instant payment method surely?

Perhaps there are answers to these questions and I am just being cynical but when money is concerned it probably pays to be safe.

Ian

Surely asking for an online transfer is a bit suspicious? Why would there be a delay for Paypal; it is an instant payment method surely?

It is instant to your Paypal account, but can take most of a week to get to a real bank account.

Perhaps there are answers to these questions and I am just being cynical but when money is concerned it probably pays to be safe.

Ian

You're quite right to be cautious, Ian - there are many rogues on eBay. However, I'm not one of them. The main reason I prefer almost any method of payment over Paypal is the outrageous level of their fees on higher-value instruments. And Theo is quite right about the potential delay. Not only that, but Paypal can arbitrarily withhold payment for weeks. If you'd like another opinion on the ups and downs of dealing with them, ask Chris Algar, for whom I do a lot of restoration work.

Meanwhile, I promise you that I really do have this instrument for sale, and you're more than welcome to come and have a squeeze.

Regards, David

A couple of thoughts on this one. Dave is a regular member with a good reputation; paypal is best avoided if possible; most people would say the golden decade was the 1910-1920 period with 1910 as THE year. Personally I would say 1900 to 1932 subject to the individual instruments were the golden period.

Ian

You're quite right to be cautious, Ian - there are many rogues on eBay. However, I'm not one of them. The main reason I prefer almost any method of payment over Paypal is the outrageous level of their fees on higher-value instruments. And Theo is quite right about the potential delay. Not only that, but Paypal can arbitrarily withhold payment for weeks. If you'd like another opinion on the ups and downs of dealing with them, ask Chris Algar, for whom I do a lot of restoration work.

Meanwhile, I promise you that I really do have this instrument for sale, and you're more than welcome to come and have a squeeze.

Regards, David

Now I know who you are I take a different view Dave and would be happy to buy this instrument, were I not somewhat poorer than usual, having just bought an instrument only a couple of weeks ago; you may even have restored it. I don't regret buying this rather fine instrument at all but it does mean I have to watch the pennies for a while. Once I can play a bit I may well be after such as you have to sell because I am primarily a singer.

Paypal were a lot better when they started out but now I have to agree with your points.

My instrument dates to around 1900, so I guess such gold as I imagine it has is somewhat tarnished by jumping the gun on that date - just a thought.

Ian

Edited by Hereward

Paypal has many critics. Here is one of the most vocal.

When I offer something on Ebay I often offer to pay basic shipping fees if payment is made via wire transfer or cashiers draft. You can generally suss out whether a transaction will be safe. In any case, Paypal isn't always as safe as they'd like you to believe. For Paypal to refund fees in the case of an unhappy event the seller would have to have funds in his account sufficient to cover the amount of the sale.

Ian

Regards, David

Ooooh I wish I could take you up on that offer David, I'd love to have a go on that Baritone but alas, you would soon kick me out again, when you discovered that I'm actually skint, right now! :(

Cheers

Dick

A couple of thoughts on this one. Dave is a regular member with a good reputation; paypal is best avoided if possible; most people would say the golden decade was the 1910-1920 period with 1910 as THE year. Personally I would say 1900 to 1932 subject to the individual instruments were the golden period.

Interesting Paul.

Personally, I have a foot in both camps - 1919 & 1927 Aeolas.

In my case the 1919 instrument is very nice indeed, but the 1927 instrument is to die for ... a real cracker.

But then of course I don't know what abuse the 1919 instrument has suffered over the years.

Cheers

Dick

When I offer something on Ebay I often offer to pay basic shipping fees if payment is made via wire transfer or cashiers draft. You can generally suss out whether a transaction will be safe. In any case, Paypal isn't always as safe as they'd like you to believe. For Paypal to refund fees in the case of an unhappy event the seller would have to have funds in his account sufficient to cover the amount of the sale.

Whoops - that link to critic of paypal produced a phishing warning

Results

Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

IP Address: 69.64.89.67

For additional information click here.

Suggestions:

* Click the “Back” button on your browser to return to the previous page and choose another link (recommended).

* If you would like to ignore the warning and continue to the page, click here (not recommended)

Whoops - that link to critic of paypal produced a phishing warning

Results

Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

IP Address: 69.64.89.67

For additional information click here.

Suggestions:

* Click the “Back” button on your browser to return to the previous page and choose another link (recommended).

* If you would like to ignore the warning and continue to the page, click here (not recommended)

I had the same result - strange.

Ian

Regards, David

I see it has now gone up to £1,232.00 now! ... & still not reached the reserve yet!

Go on David, you can tell us what the reserve is, can't you?

You know we can all keep a secret in here! ;)

Go on, Go on, Go on ... :lol:

But seriously David, Good Luck.

Cheers

Dick

Interesting Paul.

Personally, I have a foot in both camps - 1919 & 1927 Aeolas.

In my case the 1919 instrument is very nice indeed, but the 1927 instrument is to die for ... a real cracker.

But then of course I don't know what abuse the 1919 instrument has suffered over the years.

Cheers

Dick

I actually had one of each also Dick. I think the later one had the edge playing wise but the earlier one was absolutely beautiful. My aeola tenor-treble is 1920s and I haven't encountered one I like better than it.

I see it has now gone up to £1,232.00 now! ... & still not reached the reserve yet!

Well, why don't you bid on it Dick, and find out what the reserve is yourself! ;) It's probably less than the £2,900 you paid for your your lovely Aeola.

Chris

Well, why don't you bid on it Dick, and find out what the reserve is yourself! ;) It's probably less than the £2,900 you paid for your your lovely Aeola.

Chris

Well Chris, if I didn't already have a Baritone myself, I'm sure I would, but on principal as I already have one, I certainly wouldn't be interested in greedily & selfishly trying to make a bid to hoard another one.

Surely any player only needs one of whatever particular instrument he or she plays?

Inevitably if a person had two, only their favourite one could possibly ever receive the attention it so richly deserved, while the other just gathered dust 6.gif .......... not a fitting fate for any vintage instrument of quality!

I can see why a full time musician &/or a very keen amateur, could need a few different models to ensure that they were always able to perform.

However, to hang on to two of the same vintage instruments is, in my opinion, just not cricket! 22.gif

In my own case, as a full time musician I am using my Baritone for songs & my TT for tune sets, with our Ballad Group gigs. My Lachenal I reserve for Irish tune sessions & gigs.

So sorry David, but I will not be bidding for this one.

Cheers

Dick

Regarding the phishing caution- I just went to the paypalsucks.com site with no problem. And my Mac is generally very useful in detecting fraudulent sites. I also went to merchantinc.com with no problem- via a link that was on the previous site. Let's hope that the nefarious Paypal doesn't have gremlins wandering over the net, interfering with our surfing.

Regarding the phishing caution- I just went to the paypalsucks.com site with no problem. And my Mac is generally very useful in detecting fraudulent sites. I also went to merchantinc.com with no problem- via a link that was on the previous site. Let's hope that the nefarious Paypal doesn't have gremlins wandering over the net, interfering with our surfing.

David correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gremlins actually hate the water, so I'm sure they wouldn't be seen anywhere near a Surf Board! :lol:

3.gif

Cheers

Dick