All just noise?

LDT

Is there any Anglo player out there who could take one of LDT's videos and re-play the tune for her, slower, slower, slower, showing some right lefthand fingering, maybe with a diologue on emphases on certain notes might be helpful...that sort of thing. Lets get this young player grooving..

FJB

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any Anglo player out there who could take one of LDT's videos and re-play the tune for her, slower, slower, slower, showing some right lefthand fingering, maybe with a diologue on emphases on certain notes might be helpful...that sort of thing. Lets get this young player grooving..

FJB

Hi FJB

I believe someone already has. http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8892

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with you guys. "I can't" can be a devastating attitude to someone who is willing to learn new tasks. But until she starts to think she can, I believe her progress will be at a frustrating crawl. It's not a false way to think either. It will reflect in how you attack problems and overcome them rather than being defeated before you start. Jealous family members aren't a help either. They can be a great hindrance.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

FJB

Hi FJB

I believe someone already has. http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8892

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with you guys. "I can't" can be a devastating attitude to someone who is willing to learn new tasks. But until she starts to think she can, I believe her progress will be at a frustrating crawl. It's not a false way to think either. It will reflect in how you attack problems and overcome them rather than being defeated before you start. Jealous family members aren't a help either. They can be a great hindrance.

Thanks

Leo

OK, so my cover's blown. :rolleyes:

I read on The Session that Slowdowner is working against natural selection in music.

It's as if zebras were slowed down and Lions didn't have to run so fast! Does it make it all too easy?. Mind you dots are the ultimate slowdowner aren't they?

That's subject for a new thread I think ;)

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8993

You little control freak you. But I agree . thanks !

Old Man Mick

• 2 weeks later...

i find it hard to believe you cant sing. everyone can. it just doesnt always sound well. who cares how it comes out? it's all about what's in your head. the problem with learning off dots is that it ends up that you are playing with nothing in your head.

so, you have music in your head, surely. but you just dont know how to get it onto your fingers. i would recommend christmas carols. just start hitting notes and then trying to make it sound like what you hear in your head/sing. it might take a couple weeks to get one or two recognizable. the key is to not judge what comes out.

the reason that it sounds like white noise is because you do not have the experience to understand it. by giving up, you will gain no experience. by trying and trying different types of tunes (both in recordings life and in your head) you will gain more experience, and it will slowly sound less like random noise. we are taught in school to go for right and wrong, but this approach is severely limiting--we should be taught to go for try and try more. are you paying attention? yes. then you got it right. are you paying attention? no. then try again. the reason you are having trouble is probably because you listen, want to learn by ear, and nothing happens. then you feel like you got it wrong--the task which you did not complete was learning by ear. if your task was paying attention to the music, then you would have gotten it right, and you would not be discouraged.

my grandma taught me in order to learn by ear you must "listen, listen, listen." she said you should be listening to (irish) music all day. she said in the 80's, when she worked in downtown chicago, she would have her walkman in playing music all day as she took public transportation and walked around town. if you dont have an ipod with the music you want to learn playing as much as possible in your ear, you will be sore pressed to learn how to play music well.

It couldn't hurt to get a C-key harmonica (standard 10-hole diatonic) and put it in the car, purse, pocket, whatever. You can train your ear to hear the intervals just about anywhere, and the in-out patterns are almost identical. Something about the intimacy of the breath moving the reeds seems to further embed the patterns and sounds.

If you are a solo driver it's ideal 'cause you can honk to your hearts' content without annoying the innocent bystanders.

The relationship between the two instruments has helped me a lot on both.

Keep it up, you've no one to please but yourself!

Cheers,

Rob

I'd just end up playing one note in the right rythum.....

Start with that! Seriously. Listen to the tune you want to play, or play along with. If you find one note that works, then play that note in the right rhythm. Then, try the note next to it (2 full steps )... so like C and E, right? Of course you're on an anglo, so try and listen to the subtle chord changes, and go from pushing to pullling and stay on those 1-2 notes...

That's what I do on my English (well without the frantic pulling and pushing) if I'm trying to play along with someone and I've no idea what key signature the song is in. I find if I can get at least ONE note that sounds "okay", then I'll try branching out.

Of course it'll help if you know what key the song is in, and if that's the key that matches your instrument (C or G or D or whatever). Then you don't have to guess the accidentals.

Just my 2 cents of course... but it does start with one note! :)

---

Patrick

Don't be too hard on yourself! Play around with your concertina, listen to phrases that sound familiar.

I can't play by ear, I need the dots in front of me. However, the more I play and the more I listen, gradually small sequences of notes fall into place. You can't expect this to happen overnight. It might take years. It all depends on how much you play and how much you listen. It is taking years with me, but I am enjoying the journey.

Don't expect too much and you might surprise yourself!

Nigel

I'd just end up playing one note in the right rythum.....

Start with that! Seriously. Listen to the tune you want to play, or play along with. If you find one note that works, then play that note in the right rhythm. Then, try the note next to it (2 full steps )... so like C and E, right? Of course you're on an anglo, so try and listen to the subtle chord changes, and go from pushing to pullling and stay on those 1-2 notes...

That's what I do on my English (well without the frantic pulling and pushing) if I'm trying to play along with someone and I've no idea what key signature the song is in. I find if I can get at least ONE note that sounds "okay", then I'll try branching out.

Anyone who can play by ear must have magic powers. :angry:

I never have time to do that....it would take me years. I need to get the hang of it in 3 weeks! :blink: or else I'm gonna look like a right muppet.

:(

I never have time to do that....it would take me years. I need to get the hang of it in 3 weeks! :blink: or else I'm gonna look like a right muppet.

And that's exactly what I would say about anyone who reads the tadpoles fluently, rather than stumbling through them at snail's pace like I do.

I can slowly find the notes by ear and do it that way but the score speeds this up.

Chin up LDT!

Ian

And that's exactly what I would say about anyone who reads the tadpoles fluently, rather than stumbling through them at snail's pace like I do.

I can slowly find the notes by ear and do it that way but the score speeds this up.

Chin up LDT!

Ian

I don't even read the 'tadpoles'...I just 'translate' them into tabs that I can read. :o

Maybe I can cheat and find the 'dots' and write the tabs down my arm or on the back of my hand? :unsure:

I don't even read the 'tadpoles'...I just 'translate' them into tabs that I can read. :o

Maybe I can cheat and find the 'dots' and write the tabs down my arm or on the back of my hand? :unsure:

Given that more women than men now have tattoos, unlike only thirty years ago when few tattooists would have touched a woman in the UK, this probably wouldn't look as bad as it sounds LDT. Depends how odd you are happy with looking.

Ian

Given that more women than men now have tattoos, unlike only thirty years ago when few tattooists would have touched a woman in the UK, this probably wouldn't look as bad as it sounds LDT. Depends how odd you are happy with looking.

Ian

well I got through spelling tests at junior school by writing them down on the back of my hands ;)

i find anything worthwhile usually takes a lot of time and effort. people who can play by ear have put in that time and effort. if time and effort is magic, then i must be a wizard, cuz i have a lot of time on my hands!

i find anything worthwhile usually takes a lot of time and effort. people who can play by ear have put in that time and effort. if time and effort is magic, then i must be a wizard, cuz i have a lot of time on my hands!

Playing by ear. LDT refers to 'magic powers'. She has a point but I would prefer the expression 'instinctive ability'. I question whether anyone without that basic instinctive ability to play by ear is ever going to find it at all easy to acquire it, but it is certainly well worth trying. In a world without printed music there would be no other option, but still plenty of spontaneous music. Rod

Hello LDT,

Why the 3 weeks? And who says you're going to look like a right muppet??!?!

I don't really have any advice regarding learning to play by ear as I too am a beginner (much more so than you) and would not be so presumptious. But I agree with a few people here that the word 'can't' is a damaging one.

I work in an art college, particularly with students who are dyslexic (there is a high incidence of this in art) who have struggled through their school days thinking they are thick and stupid. They are not, it is just the teaching methods are geared towards one way of thinking, a linear, logical way of thinking whereas many dyslexics think in more tangential ways.

The reason I say this is just to give you encouragement that you should not worry about sheet music or even what the notes are but shut your eyes and just play until it sounds right to you, like our dyslexic students learn to do.

I have watched your You Tube videos and I have to say I don't think you have a problem at all

QL

It reminds me when I had a pupil to whom I was teaching fiddle:

-'How long is going to take me to play a decent tune?'

-'Playing, practicing every day a reasonable amount of time?'

-'Yes'

-'A couple, maybe three years for to play some easy tunes reasonably in tune and with a steady, not to fast rythm...'

-'What? I've not time for that! Must be sooner!'

Yes,yes... Weird times in wich we're living in. Anything must be instant, at the moment. With the internet, fast communications and everything else, seems that very few people realize that some disciplines take a whole life to be mastered - and in most cases, an average level, not to talk about virtuosism -.

For the same reason, I get very upset when go walking on the streets and see people paying more attention and giving more money to a 'statue' than to a fine busking musician. Nobody appreciates the skills, and; more important, the effort and work put on it. Why should they have to? Music has not to be made by musicians anymore. Machines can do it.

To me, music is like speaking a languaje. I can spend my life speaking english & my wife speaking spanish, but we'll never lose our accents - not to talk about grammar & spelling mistakes :P -.

IMHO, music is like a journey. The important thing is not the arrival, the level you could reach. The important thing is the journey, enjoy the landscape... or, enjoy the improvements you make in your everyday playing.

Cheers,

Fer

Hello LDT, Why the 3 weeks?

She's off to "Melodeons and More" in 3 weeks and is obviously starting to panic - don't! There'll be plenty of other people there at the same stage as yourself and nobody's going to make you stand up on stage and do a solo...