Concertina In Pop Or Rock Music ?

HELP !

I have been asked to give an interview, tomorrow afternoon, to a BBC World Service Producer, for a program about "Charles Wheatstone and the invention of the concertina". However, he has now informed me that one of his questions will be :

Do you know of any major rock or pop musicians who've used it ?

I can only think of Horslips and Johnny Clegg at the moment, though I know Alastair Anderson plays on Kate Bush's "Rocket Man" single.

Any ideas anybody ?

HELP !

I have been asked to give an interview, tomorrow afternoon, to a BBC World Service Producer, for a program about "Charles Wheatstone and the invention of the concertina". However, he has now informed me that one of his questions will be :

Do you know of any major rock or pop musicians who've used it ?

I can only think of Horslips and Johnny Clegg at the moment, though I know Alastair Anderson plays on Kate Bush's "Rocket Man" single.

Any ideas anybody ?

Alistair Anderson also played on Al Stewart's "Past Present and Future" album - which was a couple of records before his hit "Year of the Cat".

Cheers

Stuart

Hang on Stephen, I've got the spouse at home looking something up for me...

I think, I *think* that in the video of the Dixie Chicks' "Traveling Soldier" from their 2002 album *Home*, (NOT the original track on the CD), there is someone in the band playing concertina.

In a performance on TV of the Dixie Chicks, I believe before Traveling Soldier but I could very well be wrong, several shots showed someone on stage behind them playing a concertina. I was never able to see what type, but for some reason thought it might be an English. He was playing with them on several songs.

Helen

PS Glad you got a lot of help from other people as my stuff is so iffy.

...as my stuff is so iffy.

Although completely off-topic: Thanks Helen for using words like "iffy". It enriches my knowledge of the English language!

Just one simple click and I can find the meaning (thanks to the free software of Guru-net). Look at the attached result.

When you are interested, have a look at: http://www.gurunet.com/

Henk

post-4-1080111437.gif

[Do you know of any major rock or pop musicians who've used it ?

I think Judy Collins could be classed as pop, and not just folk.

Gene Murrow plays English concertina on her Whales and Nightingales album. In fact, the cut "Gene's Song" is a country dance tune ("The Beggar Boy", is it?) that Gene was just playing during a break in the recording, and JC liked it so much when she heard it that she added it to the album.

Eidted to add: Gene stills plays and calls for English Country Dancing in the NYC area.

Edited by JimLucas

Thanks Helen for using words like "iffy". It enriches my knowledge of the English language!

Just one simple click and I can find the meaning (thanks to the free software of Guru-net).

Henk,

Dictionary.com does the same only its free...

Chris

...as my stuff is so iffy.
Although completely off-topic: Thanks Helen for using words like "iffy". It enriches my knowledge of the English language!

"Iffy" is itself an iffy word.

Is there any other word -- in any language -- that turns a conjuction into an adjective? I haven't heard "andy" (except as a name), "butty", "soey", "whiley", or anything else of the sort.

Hmm. Maybe I should invent them and think up ways to use them?

Added: It might work, but....

Yep. Definitely a butty idea! :D

Edited by JimLucas

Thanks for all the help folks !

I'm just back from the interview, which went very well, but would you believe that, having put everyone to all this bother, they didn't ask me that question.

They said they will let me know when the programme will be broadcast. It is for the BBC World Service, so everybody will be able to hear it, all over the world.

Cheers, and thanks again,

Led Zeppelin reunion tour (I think it was actually billed as 'Page and Plant') featured a few acoustic numbers with one of their back up musicians playing concertina. Pop or Rock enough???

Since this is a big Led Zep household and in the interest of accuracy, I did some looking. I know that Page and Plant used hurdy gurdy and similar instruments on their No Quarter album. I wanted to know definitively. The answer is "hmmmmm, maybe"!

In 1994, the P&P tour band supposedly included Nigel Eaton on concertina -- but that must be wrong since Eaton is a hurdy gurdy player. On the 1998 tour, Phil Andrews supposedly played concertina on "Gallows Pole" He typically plays keys and mandolin.

The only consistent free reed player in Led Zep has been Plant on harmonica!

ldp

So Jim, if iffy is an iffy word, is butty a butty word?

Hard to say. But if "butty" is in addition to "iffy", then I think that would make it a bit andy.

I suppose that depends on which came first, though, so the question of whether "butty" is andy seems rather whenny. :huh: