Oz and Kiwi History

wes williams

There's a lot of Australian and NZ concertina history to be found at Papers Past (NZ) and NLA Australian Newspapers. Anybody researching down under??

Hi Wes,

Yes, I've been using them the last few weeks; I discovered them around Christmas time.....amazing what is becoming available out there. It is wonderful that they are making it freely available; so many of the US and UK ones are fee-based.

Cheers,

Dan

The Australian site causes Firefox to crash on my PC, but works well using IE. So choose your browser accordingly.

A great resource; thanks Wes.

MC

That's strange because I use Firefox and had no problem. Computers are funny things.

Ian

thanks for these links Wes...

Be warned; Papers Past is a serious drain on time, because the rewards are so great. A couple of days ago I read the contemporary account of the accidental death in 1899 of my great-grandfather, coupled with a sober assessment of the consequences for his widow and 5 children. It was reported in the Tuapeka Times, a paper coincidentally owned by another of my great grandfathers.

Sadly I can find no connection with concertinas. However I did find a use of the word concertina in the first years of the 20th century to mean something that might expand and contract, and the whole concept had to be explained longhand by reference to the action of the bellows. How different to today when the word is easily assumed to be a verb or to mean anything that folds with a sawtooth or sine wave pattern.

Chris

Edited by Chris Ghent

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for these links Wes...

Be warned; Papers Past is a serious drain on time, because the rewards are so great. A couple of days ago I read the contemporary account of the accidental death in 1899 of my great-grandfather, coupled with a sober assessment of the consequences for his widow and 5 children. It was reported in the Tuapeka Times, a paper coincidentally owned by another of my great grandfathers.

Sadly I can find no connection with concertinas. However I did find a use of the word concertina in the first years of the 20th century to mean something that might expand and contract, and the whole concept had to be explained longhand by reference to the action of the bellows. How different to today when the word is easily assumed to be a verb or to mean anything that folds with a sawtooth or sine wave pattern.

Chris

Very interesting Chris.

When I produced my Hurdy Gurdy in a school in the Glens of Antrim recently, the caretaker came up to me afterwards & explained that the local country folk there, describe anything that is a bit wonky, like a gate that won't close properly or a Tractor that'll never start, as being a real Hurdy Gurdy of a thing.

However, as far as he knows, nobody in the Glens has ever actually seen a Hurdy Gurdy before!

Cheers

Dick