Motivations

LDT

*puts on glasses*

I was wondering the other day....

Why do you play music? Is it to please others? or to prove something to yourself? is it just a way to spend time? A technical excercise? For the social aspects? or something else?

And how dose that affect what and how you learn?

Is it to please others? or to prove something to yourself? is it just a way to spend time? A technical excercise? For the social aspects? or something else?

Yes.

Chris

PS well to be more explicit, there are many reasons, including all of the above and others such as love of the music and the instrument for their own sake, for an oasis of sanity in a world that is not as I would have it be, and because it gives me a lot of pleasure. How about you?

How about you?

For me its to pass the time, and to prove I'm not incompetent and can learn a musical instrument. Oh and I hoped if I tried playing music I wouldn't get so bored of music so easily. :unsure:

Oh and I love seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them I play the concertina.... :lol:

Usually its a bit like these smilie :blink: :huh:

Edited by LDT

Usually its a bit like these smilie :blink: :huh:

:lol:

The 'look'' is usually followed by the question.... "Why did you choose something like that?!"

My reply 'I didn't choose it, it chose me' :P

Dunno, really...I think I remember my Gran telling me I'd be invited to parties if I could play a musical instrument. :unsure:

Reminds me of the lines:

"I took my harp to a party,

But nobody asked me to play ...."

:(

Dunno, really...I think I remember my Gran telling me I'd be invited to parties if I could play a musical instrument. :unsure:

hahah. that sounds like a pretty good reason!

a friend of mine the other day was saying that irish boys should become dancers instead of musicians, because there is always so few male dancers. therefore when they grow up, they will get first dibs to all the female dancers, leaving the musicians in the dust.

Reminds me of the lines:

"I took my harp to a party,

But nobody asked me to play ...."

:(

i find that invariably if i do not bring my concertina, everyone wants me to play, and that if i do, nobody asks me to play. so, i bring it as often as possible, so that way i dont have to play and it's not my fault!

All the above reasons; Love to play, prove myself and please the others, passtime, good exercise for my poor brain... but in the case of Irish music, I'll add a couple more - these where more important when I was younger -:

- Free pints ( yummy! )

- Sometimes, I even got paid...

- The possibilty of to impress some nice girl in a session or a gig - I'll deny this in front of my wife -.

Nowadays, the main reason is to justify the 1300 euro I spent in my last concertina... I know, is very sad :lol:

I've been a dancer for 25 years. Before that I played harmonica at a folk club mainly because it was cheap and I couldn't sing. Then as a Morris dancer, I spent the compulsory few years pretending to play the melodeon, but never got past "knocking out a tune".

Then the concertina chose me. I still don't know why, but one day I knew I wanted one.

And now I play it as near as possible every day, because it's wonderful when a tune comes together and sounds just right. I am happy to play alone and with no audience just for the sheer joy of playing. Not that I'm very good, but I'm better than I was.

I love music in general and folk music in particular. I could make do with singing but instruments add another dimension. I particularly like the sound of concertinas - any type. My track record for actually learning instruments (as opposed to just buying them) is not good, but I few years ago I was dabbling with a melodeon on a stall and someone played along on an Anglo. I was thrilled by the sensation of playing together, and this has since driven me to aspire to being able to play competently in sessions - still a long way off. But I've bought a lot of tune books along the way so I can pose as a musician!

Richard

*puts on glasses*

I was wondering the other day....

Why do you play music? Is it to please others? or to prove something to yourself? is it just a way to spend time? A technical excercise? For the social aspects? or something else?

And how dose that affect what and how you learn?

Well, to echo Chris Timson, yes.

But there's more for me as well.

When I unlimbered the Jeffries in a waterfront house of somewhat dubious (but not quite ill..) repute in Nantong a few years ago one of the techs with me sighed and said "ahh, Chieffie, therapy". Reflecting back, he was right.

That's one of the reasons I probably won't ever have a new concertina, I really enjoy the connection to previous players and the old boxes give me some of that.

Some of the tunes give a connection as well:

"Soldiers of the Queen" can evoke troopers on the tide bound for Table Bay.

"Tipperay" in a London pub after the Armistice.

Some may call a illness.

There are worse ways to use your time.

irish boys should become dancers instead of musicians, because there is always so few male dancers. therefore when they grow up, they will get first dibs to all the female dancers, leaving the musicians in the dust.

While that is a GLORIOUS idea, in reality it works a little differently. All the stage production assistants get the girls.. :unsure: