Great tune by C.netter?

Jim Besser

Someone just gave me a great CD by Stocai, an English band, and I was wandering about, playing along and finding tunes I wanted to learn. Two tracks grabbed me. One was a great, bouncy jig called Boddington. Looking at the liner notes, it's by Gavin Atkin.

Is that the same Gavin who is part of our community?

Nice tune!

And do we assume that Stocai's piper, Chris Walshaw, is the same Chris Walshaw that devised the ABC music notation scripting language? :o

Yes, indeed it is him. He is a mathematician by trade.

Chris

Yup... you've got us both bang to rights, guvnor. FYI, here are some tunes I wrote a while ago, all written out in Chris's wonderfully useful notation: http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/gavs.abc

I should explain that they were written with the horn-laden sound of Florida in mind.

Gav

Yup... you've got us both bang to rights, guvnor. FYI, here are some tunes I wrote a while ago, all written out in Chris's wonderfully useful notation: http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/gavs.abc

Thanks for the notation. I already learned Boddington from the recording, but it'll be nice to hand out copies of the dots at the next session.

Frittenden? Pembury? Do you/did you live in Kent then Gavin?

Absent Friends nearly threw me too, but it's not the tune that I know!

Pete.

For 12-13 years or so I lived in Tunbridge Wells, but a little over a year ago Julie and I moved to Marden. We're slowly becoming Kentificated to the point where some of the locals talk to us. Heavens, we even got involved in running the Kent Gathering of Traditional Music back in March, and will run another small festival at Frittenden on the 4th May. See http://kentgathering.com .

I should add that I think The Top House is another useful bouncy jig, btw. Some day I may even get around to bringing this collection up to date ;-)

Gav

Edited by Gavin Atkin

Heavens, we even got involved in running the Kent Gathering of Traditional Music back in March, and will run another small festival at Frittenden on the 4th May. Here

Gav

I might try and come down from the Smoke for this event because it looks to be good.

Ian

Heavens, we even got involved in running the Kent Gathering of Traditional Music back in March, and will run another small festival at Frittenden on the 4th May. Here

Gav

I might try and come down from the Smoke for this event because it looks to be good.

Ian

Thank you for your kind comment Ian! I guess it might be an opportunity for South-Eastern UK C.netters to meet?

Gav

Thank you for your kind comment Ian! I guess it might be an opportunity for South-Eastern UK C.netters to meet?

Gav

Good idea Gav. I bet we could raise quite a group.

Ian

That's cool. Let me know how it goes please - I don't follow C.net religiously, so it might be useful to email me at gmatkin@gmail.com if any developments arise.

Gav

Gav

Good idea Gav. I bet we could raise quite a group.

Ian

Well, here's an even earlier opportunity for London and South East C.netters to meet. It's a mainly traditional English music session, being held at The Crown Tavern, 43 Clerkenwell Green, London, EC1R 0EG, on Sunday 18 January - noon to 3-30ish, in the function room upstairs. Can you and Julie make it, Gav? I really enjoyed your duets, last time you came.

Chris