1909 Wheatstone Linota

AlanEgan

Hi all,

I'm afraid that as a poor student I have no option but to sell my beloved wheatsone. She is number 24091 and is a top class concertina. One of the best wheatstones I have played. She has a beautiful sweet tone and very responsive action. She is in Eb so C#/G#. I would much rather sell my suttner but I need it for teaching in D. :( This is a great concertina and I really want her to go to a good home where she will be played and not just seen of as an investment. This is why I am letting ye know here before hitting ebay.

I have pics and some sound files. Email me for more info etc... eganalan@gmail.com

Hi all,

.......................She is in Eb so C#/G#. ....................................

... eganalan@gmail.com

Wouldn't Eb translate to a D#. By Eb do you mean the middle row (Eb/Bflat) or the bottom row as in Ab/Eb? I'm not too sure what keys a person would be getting in they purchased this from you.

It would be helpful to you as the seller and to the potential buyers of c.net or ebay to have a much better and more accurate description if you are serious about selling this.

Steve

I'm just speculating, but this has come up before. I've known Irish anglo players to describe their cross fingering of a C/G anglo to play in D as "playing in D." If that were the case here, the entire instrument is tuned a semitone higher than a C/G, giving a box that "plays in Eb." There are flutes in Eb etc. so it is not unheard of there.

Ken

Hi all,

.......................She is in Eb so C#/G#. ....................................

... eganalan@gmail.com

Wouldn't Eb translate to a D#. By Eb do you mean the middle row (Eb/Bflat) or the bottom row as in Ab/Eb? I'm not too sure what keys a person would be getting in they purchased this from you.

It would be helpful to you as the seller and to the potential buyers of c.net or ebay to have a much better and more accurate description if you are serious about selling this.

Steve

The description is accurate if you know the context. Some Irish players refer to C#/G# boxes as 'Eb' boxes because they are suited to playing with Eb instruments (some flutes, for example) or playing in sessions where instruments are tuned up half a step--so D tunes come out in Eb.

The liner notes to Edel Fox's CD, for example, say she is playing an Eb concertina. It is a C#/G# instrument.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

As I said I want her to go to a good home where she will be played. So any "potential buyers" should know what I was talking about. ;)

Alan

Edited by skinsegan

Thanks Steve,

As I said I want her to go to a good home where she will be played. So any "potential buyers" should know what I was talking about. ;)

Alan

You are welcome Alan and thanks to Ken and Michael for clarifying the keys for me. I can now refer to my C/G concertina as being played in the key of D.

It is nice to learn something new this late in the year.

Steve

You are welcome Alan and thanks to Ken and Michael for clarifying the keys for me. I can now refer to my C/G concertina as being played in the key of D.

Steve

It must be an Irish thing, C/G is referred to as D, C#/G# is Eb, Bb/F is C. The key is usally the note you get when you play D button on the concertina. (middle row, middle button, left hand on a standard 30 key concertina)

Thanks Steve,

Alan

Steve

well, steve, don't you often play your C/G concertinas in the key of D? but... i guess, most who have a C#/G# concertina would be playing in Eb and Ab. so... i guess, to be accurate, instead of an Eb concertina, i guess we could call it a Eb/Ab concertina, :lol:

well, steve, don't you often play your C/G concertinas in the key of D? but... i guess, most who have a C#/G# concertina would be playing in Eb and Ab. so... i guess, to be accurate, instead of an Eb concertina, i guess we could call it a Eb/Ab concertina, :lol:

Well, David, I also play my C/G concertina in the Keys of C major, D minor (dorian and aeolian), E minor (dorian and aeolian), F, Bflat, G major and minor, A major and minor (dorian and aeolian) and B minor (aeolian). So, you tell me as to what key or keys I should refererence when refering to my concertina?

Now, this topic really gives thought to a myriad of other instruments and the reference of their diatonic scale and key as opposed to their commonly played key. How do I decide what key(s) my harmonicas are. I have the Hohner XB 40's which allows me to play in one position producing different keys. An "A" harmonica can be played in the first position as A major, A dorian, A aeolian or I could play in B dorian and so according to the line of thought in this thread I could refer to the key of my A harp as being in B minor.

Food for thought?

Steve

The whole idea of saying that a chromatic instrument is "in" a particular key is inherently problematic but not uncommon. For example, a Chemnitzer concertina with "home" rows in G and A is referred to in the Chemnitzer world as being in C, but also as being in "5 press A". And I got into an argument with my trombone-playing son not long ago about whether the trombone is in C (as he said) or Bb (as I said). He did some reading and decided that I was right, but it's not a straightforward question.

Daniel

Well, David, I also play my C/G concertina in the Keys of C major, D minor (dorian and aeolian), E minor (dorian and aeolian), F, Bflat, G major and minor, A major and minor (dorian and aeolian) and B minor (aeolian). So, you tell me as to what key or keys I should refererence when refering to my concertina?

Now, this topic really gives thought to a myriad of other instruments and the reference of their diatonic scale and key as opposed to their commonly played key. How do I decide what key(s) my harmonicas are. I have the Hohner XB 40's which allows me to play in one position producing different keys. An "A" harmonica can be played in the first position as A major, A dorian, A aeolian or I could play in B dorian and so according to the line of thought in this thread I could refer to the key of my A harp as being in B minor.