Air Button use

LDT

Any tips for using the air button on a concertina properly?

And is there any way to make it not as obvious that I'm using the air button...it sounds like an asthmatic snail....

is there any exercise that would help?

you get the picture...erm..help? :unsure:

You press it! :rolleyes:

(As little as possible)

I agree with the first point, but not the second. I say that you press it as much as is necessary. Just how much needs to be learnt by experience, and may vary from concertina to concertina.

the best place is end of a musical phrase[imo]

I disagree. Of course, better at the end of a phrase than in the middle, but you still end up with a gasp of air and possibly also lose the rhythm of the tune.

I use the air button at the same time as playing the notes. It may be necessary to increase the bellows pressure to maintain the volume, but with practice this becomes instinctive. By doing this, and using the air button little and often, I can keep the bellows where I want them, without running out of air in either direction. I also use cross-rowing to give me the option of playing the notes in the other direction.

My advice is:

little and often

use the air button while playing, rather than waiting for a space where you can grab some air.

the best place is end of a musical phrase[imo]

I disagree. Of course, better at the end of a phrase than in the middle, but you still end up with a gasp of air and possibly also lose the rhythm of the tune.

I use the air button at the same time as playing the notes. It may be necessary to increase the bellows pressure to maintain the volume, but with practice this becomes instinctive. By doing this, and using the air button little and often, I can keep the bellows where I want them, without running out of air in either direction. I also use cross-rowing to give me the option of playing the notes in the other direction.

My advice is:

little and often

use the air button while playing, rather than waiting for a space where you can grab some air.

thanks Howard,that is very helpful.

Mick Bramitch ,author of Irish concertina,suggests using the push buttons to expel air with air button while one is playing,using a half open air button.

he suggests [among other things]to play a chord at the end of a phrase,while pressing the air button. LDT ,I recommend you buy this book isbn 1899512 25 x ,published by Dave Mallinson books.

Dick, just to expand on your remark (apologies for the pun) it is worth practicing playing with the air button open a fraction this does not alter the sound of the note or chord, but lets in sufficient air if you require it for the opposite direction.I will also repeat that many beginners play notes that are too long,particularly on the pull.It is well worth practicing short sharp notes which use up very little air and enable longer passages of play in one or other direction.

Al

Al

I usually try to avoid using it like the plague. :unsure:

No!!! Please watch the videos. :(

my suggestion would be,use it at the end of musical phrases,if you need to,rather than in the middle of a phrase.

I think you are mistaken to avoid it completely,however by cross rowing[this is maybe too advanced for you at the moment]and by pre meditating your note choice[eg using a push D or a pull d or a push b or a pull b or a push a or a pull a]you can cut down its use if you want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMzwjNbioTY,

this is worth watching,it gives detail as regards how shes using her air button

Yes, Dick!

Perfect example of how to use the air valve, plus how to control the bellows. Thanks for finding this one, again.

Regards,

Peter.

Any tips for using the air button on a concertina properly?

And is there any way to make it not as obvious that I'm using the air button...it sounds like an asthmatic snail....

is there any exercise that would help?

you get the picture...erm..help? :unsure:

I don't know what these kind folks are talking about, but if you were playing an English Concertina, you'd only use it for putting your 'tina away! Though some of the older models don't even bother with a special air button, I mean they'll already have 48 or 56 or so that already let air through, why have a special one with no reed after all? ;)

Edited by Dieppe

Perfect example of how to use the air valve, plus how to control the bellows. Thanks for finding this one, again.

Very true! Excellent player, if only she'd work on her facial expression. Bet it never crossed her mind, nor mind of her teachers. Smile, sing along, make eye contacts. Perfect example of how NOT to look, while you're playing for people.

Just why those dumb ass rock musicians are so photogenic?

Not to be pedantic, but suppose one didn't have to use an air button at all when playing an anglo - there was just always a steady volume of air, that'd be grand, wouldn't it? You'd just play the tune and always have enough air. If that would be the ideal situation (and I can see people queueing up to argue otherwise!), then surely the concept of using it 'as little as possible' comes closest to that!! Now, answer me that..

Or as Peter puts it "as much as necessary" but that is the same as "as little as possible". Glass half full or half empty?? !!!

Edited by tombilly

Why are air buttons in such an awkward place....I know my fingers are double jointed but really..... :huh:

That's why concertina players came to develop thumbs on their hands! ;)

It's only a matter of practice (and co-ordination!); you can do it!

Why are air buttons in such an awkward place....I know my fingers are double jointed but really..... :huh:

I was including thumbs in that statement

It's only a matter of practice (and co-ordination!); you can do it!

How do you practice what you don't know how to do? :huh: :blink: :unsure:

Not at all.
We evolved thumbs so that we could properly hold our
English
concertinas.
:)

Not to be pedantic, but suppose one didn't have to use an air button at all when playing an anglo - there was just always a steady volume of air, that'd be grand, wouldn't it? You'd just play the tune and always have enough air. If that would be the ideal situation (and I can see people queueing up to argue otherwise!), then surely the concept of using it 'as little as possible' comes closest to that!! Now, answer me that..

Or as Peter puts it "as much as necessary" but that is the same as "as little as possible". Glass half full or half empty?? !!!

It would be ideal, but the nature of the instrument dictates against it. Perhaps playing single-note style there's more opportunity to use alternative buttons to change direction, rather than use the air button. Playing chords, you're up against two problems - firstly, you're letting more air in or out than when playing a single note, so you run out of bellows more quickly. Secondly, chords played in different directions don't always contain the same notes and may have a different character; you may therefore want to play a phrase in a particular direction even if there is an alternative, because it sounds better. The only way to get around this is to use the air button.

Good air button use really is the secret to good anglo playing. It was a revelation to me to realise that, as I pointed out earlier, you don't have to wait for a pause in the music to grab some air, you can do it while playing.

I don't find the position of the air button to be awkward, but depending on your instrument and size of your hands, it can be awkward for some. Some people also find it difficult to move the thumb sideways when their other fingers are moving differently. It's all a question of practice.

Not at all.
We evolved thumbs so that we could properly hold our
English
concertinas.
:)

You can see that I've worked as a double act! ;)