If music be the food of love, play on...

LDT

So what tune is stuck in your head? What are you listening to? What are you learning?

(I'm not listening to anything concertina-y at the moment)

I am listening to....

Lemon Jelly - Nice weather for ducks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to learn three new French sea songs.

Brain strain! The notes are easy enough, but trying to fit them forrin words in, with the stress going somewhere non-intuitive, that's tricky.

Here's "Le Forban" http://www.wat.tv/audio/forban-bw6n_bfwz_.html

And here is "Chantons pour passer le temps". I'm sorry about this version, but it's the only one I can find. It sounds much better with men singing it, I promise! http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dorothee...emps/2243601493

Can't find the third one, but it's pretty dismal, one of those drunken "Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen" sort of songs, about the death of a port.

All three are buzzing around my head, but separating out gradually. I think.

I've developed an unhealthy obsession with hornpipes at the moment and I can't stop playing them. Current list is:

Proudlock's

The Londonderry

Alistair Anderson's Fancy

The Glen Aln

The Barrington

The Navvie

The Locomotive

As for listening, Alistair Anderson's new CD 'Islands' is always in the car, as is Anglo and English International. A couple of albums by Half Man Half Biscuit provide light relief, The Oysterband allow me to do a little head banging and two relative unknowns called Spiers and Boden get me jigging around in my seat - which isn't always a good idea when your driving!

"Darktown Strutter's Ball"

; my ragtime ensemble (or, I should probably say, I) started to kick-in at this point during a performace last night.

But, now, "Jack the Fieldstalker" by the Oscar Pettiford Sextet is currently playing on my office computer.

Otherwise, "Twinkle, Twinkle.." (just had to throw that in for m3838 :rolleyes: ...)

Edited by catty

No. 1 in the 'stuck on the brain' chart is 'Alfies Theme' making an unexpected reentry this week...The ever popular Intermezzo from Cavallieria Rusticana is bubbling under, though, as the disc jockeys say. Or used too. Hopefully they've stopped.

...... and two relative unknowns called Spiers and Boden get me jigging around in my seat - which isn't always a good idea when your driving!

Relative unknowns? Dear me, Pete, you can't be serious! Spiers and Boden have been around for years and are the founders of the Bellowhead supergroup (but you knew that!). Too many hornpipes must be addling your brain.

Chris

Last week's tune, Boys of BlueHill is still crashing around inside my head, making this weeks' tune, Peacock's Feather, a very hard slog indeed.

In the car, it's the Marc Atkinson Trio's new release (a fellow islander), some may know him from The Bills. Man, that boy can play! (guitar)

My listening is all over the place at the moment. A bit of back trouble forced me into more idleness than usual over the past week or so, and I've got into the habit of sticking the MP3 player on 'random' and listening to whatever comes up.

So a typical session might be a movement from a Beethoven string quartet followed by a track from English International followed by a Queen hit followed by an American bluegrass band followed by Ella Fitzgerald followed by Stockhausen followed by a Verdi opera duet followed by Lou Reed followed by an Indian rag followed by Matt Molloy followed by ... well, you get the picture.

I can thoroughly recommend it - I seem to be enjoying all the stuff much more than by trying to decide what mood I'm in.

As for my own concertina playing, I'm currently enjoying revisiting some tunes by Robert Winham, Billy Pigg, Tom Curruthers and Scan Tester - all delightful stuff, plus some oddities by the Irish tunester Paddy Fahy (same as mentioned above by Molly with different spelling? Several of his jigs and reels are downloadable from The Session). Also just about to get stuck into some unusual traditional Sussex carols.

Ray

Edited by Ray

A little postcard for you

Al

lol! fab.

Stuck in my head is 'always look on the bright side of life'

(as I'm going to go see Spamalot next week. yay!)

And I'm practicing....lots..I've lost count

Hi LDT

It shows. Keep up the good work. It looks like you'll meet your goal of 10 songs pretty soon. :D

I've been listening to Stan Rogers lately Great voice and music

Thanks

Leo :)

Stuck in my head is 'always look on the bright side of life'

(as I'm going to go see Spamalot next week. yay!)

Are you going to join in?

Join in Spamalot? I'm sure I'll be singing/wailing along very quietly in my seat. lol!

*hums* always look on the bright side of life.....*

Edited by LDT