New Jones Ebay Scam - It's been a while!

Paul Read

How come this seller has 100% feedback on thousands of sales, and he ends up with this scam? It's quite amazing.

This could be an identity that has been hijacked by a scammer.

He says he is going to cancel any bid not made by prior arrangement. He says there is a buy-it-now price, but there is not a buy-it-now option. If you click his "other items" button, there's an awful lot of very valuable stuff: rare musical instruments, electronics, cameras, telescopes, even a bicycle and gym equipment. Several of them have a bid of precisely £63,339,244.36 on them, perhaps that's $100,000,000. Looks like anti-scam activity, and he is fire-fighting to keep his scams going, whoever he is.

How come this seller has 100% feedback on thousands of sales, and he ends up with this scam? It's quite amazing.

He says he is going to cancel any bid not made by prior arrangement. He says there is a buy-it-now price, but there is not a buy-it-now option. If you click his "other items" button, there's an awful lot of very valuable stuff: rare musical instruments, electronics, cameras, telescopes, even a bicycle and gym equipment. Several of them have a bid of precisely £63,339,244.36 on them, perhaps that's $100,000,000. Looks like anti-scam activity, and he is fire-fighting to keep his scams going, whoever he is.

Hey, I assume all you guys in the know, notified eBay about this b*****d before you posted anything here, which might have scared &/or tipped him or her off?

I'd hate to think of these so & so's getting away with these scams & giving Concertinas a bad name on eBay, in the process.

Cheers

Dick

Hey, I assume all you guys in the know, notified eBay about this b*****d before you posted anything here, which might have scared &/or tipped him or her off?

I'd hate to think of these so & so's getting away with these scams & giving Concertinas a bad name on eBay, in the process.

Cheers

Dick

Yup

Nasty methods, did you report this to ebay? I´ll do that anyhow.

You do what's called "phishing": set up a web page that looks just like the eBay login page, send out a spam e-mail message to thousands of people that looks like it comes from eBay and tells the recipients that they need to log into their eBay accounts to address some pressing problem with the account, and provide a link in the e-mail to "eBay" that actually takes them to the fake site. A few people take the bait, and the spammer gets their logins and passwords, and either uses them to set up this sort of scam or sells them to someone else who does.

How do you hijack an identity? As far as I know, you need the password for this. There must be some anti-fraud systems on eBay that will lock your account if there's too many login attempts.
Edited by Daniel Hersh

If you want to shut a fraudulent auction down just bid something like $50,000.

In this case I am afraid that this does not help.

The scammer is fishing for naive "buy it now people".

They are invited not to respond via ebay but via personal mail.

To reach that they want the ebay ad to be as long in the air as possible in order to reach a "client".

And you do not avoid that by placing a high bid (like they may even do themselves).

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:uk

These are my photos from a few months back.

Well, thankfully I see it has been deleted, so well done Paul for spotting this so quickly & hopefully saving some poor soul from being done!

Edited by Ptarmigan

And the child laughed at me when I referred to her as a genius last week. Tell us more about the watermarking! While I agree with Paul that it wouldn't stop the scammers, it might make ebay take notice quicker, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Alan

And the child laughed at me when I referred to her as a genius last week. Tell us more about the watermarking! While I agree with Paul that it wouldn't stop the scammers, it might make ebay take notice quicker, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Alan

you need image edit software with layering capabilities..for those who don't own/can't afford photo shop you can use programs like GIMP which are free.

You just make a new layer above your picture. Draw or type your 'watermark' then adjust the opacity to about 15% , then flatten image and upload.

I would suggest text like [username] owns these images.

Step by step guide

http://nexissakura.deviantart.com/art/Wate...r-Gimp-38850240

DA has lots of tutorials on how to do it. :)

If your still stuck pm me and I'll do it for you.

Edited by LDT