Ur Own Songs?

anyone here write original songs with the concertina(music and words) outside the normal irish/english styles?I'ld love to take a listen, and it seems to me the anglo is highly underutilized in music outside of the normal folk traditions its involved with.

I know julian koster(an outstanding maker of music) uses one on ocassion in his project the music tapes, not sure if its an english or an anglo, but one is porminently featured on the song "freeing song for reindeer" wich i beleive can be streemed from the merge records website, deffinetly worth checking out.

p.s.- remember reading somewhere on concertina.com, the writer made the point that if a more standerdized system for the concertina had emerged (and not been overshadowed by the invention of the electric guitar) jimmi hendrix might have been shredding on a concertina.what an awsome thought(not that his jams aren't perfect the way they are) but at any rate, anyone experimenting with contemporary concertina music....rock, pop or anything of the like?

anyone here write original songs with the concertina(music and words) outside the normal irish/english styles?I'ld love to take a listen, and it seems to me the anglo is highly underutilized in music outside of the normal folk traditions its involved with.

I know julian koster(an outstanding maker of music) uses one on ocassion in his project the music tapes, not sure if its an english or an anglo, but one is porminently featured on the song "freeing song for reindeer" wich i beleive can be streemed from the merge records website, deffinetly worth checking out.

p.s.- remember reading somewhere on concertina.com, the writer made the point that if a more standerdized system for the concertina had emerged (and not been overshadowed by the invention of the electric guitar) jimmi hendrix might have been shredding on a concertina.what an awsome thought(not that his jams aren't perfect the way they are) but at any rate, anyone experimenting with contemporary concertina music....rock, pop or anything of the like?

It's been asked a few times before and once I remember it caused some discussions.

My opinion was and is, that because of concertina pecularities it's poorly suited for modern energetic styles, it lacks power and complexity of sound. And it's firmly planted in the dorkland in the minds of cool youth, they may appreciated it ocasionally, but when it comes to the "real" thing, they choose something else. There are people who play ragtime, jazz, some pop riffs on concertina, but it generally is not too special to cause others to follow.

To each it's own.

It's been asked a few times before and once I remember it caused some discussions.

My opinion was and is, that because of concertina pecularities it's poorly suited for modern energetic styles, it lacks power and complexity of sound. And it's firmly planted in the dorkland in the minds of cool youth, they may appreciated it ocasionally, but when it comes to the "real" thing, they choose something else. There are people who play ragtime, jazz, some pop riffs on concertina, but it generally is not too special to cause others to follow.

To each it's own.

not in the mind of this cool youth :P :rolleyes: thanks for your opinion though i'll try to track down the older discussions on the topic.

Edited by pastlifeasakite

i dont really write my own music outside of the style. i've been slowly working on playing other styles on the anglo, though. i think it'd be cool to play classical, rock and jazz and movie music on the anglo.

To each it's own.

i think it could be done in a modern, cool style. i just dont think that the right person has come along yet.

My opinion was and is, that because of concertina pecularities it's poorly suited for modern energetic styles, it lacks power and complexity of sound. ......

The Chemnitzer has enough power for pop music....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=THlgU-8dMYg

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...Steven++Arntson

A link to " A Devil's Dreamworld " . Original album and manuscript fron Steven R. Arntson

Graham

Nothing original that's worth mentioning, but the Hendrix reference reminds me that his "Little Wing " proves to be actually acceptable on concertina. (Better if I've had a pint or two; best if you've had two or three).

Also, I've worked out a version of Ellingtons' "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" that sounds pretty good; better with piano or guitar chord accompaniment.

Leon Russells' "Masquerade" is "doable", but tricky to manage; the intonation needs to be just so, or it's too calliope-y. Softly does it.

Ennio Morricones' music for the Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti Westerns" sounds as if it had been written with concertina in mind.

All I can think of right now, but if it fits within the range of the instrument (the way I play it) I'll give it a try. I Listen to a lot of chromatic harmonica jazz, try to emulate some of its' repertoire. Lots to be said for playing to your own furniture...

Never met a melody That I didn't like- at least in some way!

Almost more fun than goin' steady.

RB

I'm not saying they're even any good, but I like to write my own songs for concertina, usually with a small amount of vocal line.

I've written a LOT of original stuff over the years, but 2 recent pieces that I wrote particularly to use the (English) concertina are 'It's Just The Wind' and 'Missing You.' I feel that these represent my true style.

A lot of what I write, I can't even say that as a listener I'd choose to listen to it for relaxation. It's more or less a recreation, a practice, not a big performance.

My site links all lead to my stuff one way or another... it's basically bellowbelle.net ~ ourstage.com/fanclub/bellowbelle

My concertina is for me myself and I, but since my husband has been playing his harmonicas and I join him with accordion and foot bass (he can't HEAR my concertina -- and the concertina is too close in sound to his harmonicas!), my OTHER site is for all that. Public domain traditional gospel and other-type songs. That's hallelujahbums.net ~ ourstage.com/fanclub/thehallelujahbums

And now I have to go hear our new president's speech on tv!!!!

Also, I've worked out a version of Ellingtons' "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" that sounds pretty good; better with piano or guitar chord accompaniment..

RB

I think you've hit on it here. Concertinas alone, don't sound like native speakers when trying to play pop styles or really anything that deviates from the solo Irish/English rep.

Not to say that it can't be done, but it's heavy lifting. I've tried, and my most successful efforts (IMHO) have incorporated other instruments more closely associated with the style I'm attempting. Or if I'm playing alone then my voice does the associative connections. Part of the problem is the decay of the free reed sound. Plectrum strings do this cool thing of getting out of the way for the next event. Concertinas don't, unless you make them, and it's not easy to shape the sound to do that.

Concertinas don't bend notes, so they have to do other stuff to make up for that. But when they play full there is a tendency to sound "too calliope-y" It is tricky. Emulating other instruments that are basic to the style I want to play has been very helpful. Including them in the band is even better.

I'm not saying they're even any good, but I like to write my own songs for concertina, usually with a small amount of vocal line.

I've written a LOT of original stuff over the years, but 2 recent pieces that I wrote particularly to use the (English) concertina are 'It's Just The Wind' and 'Missing You.' I feel that these represent my true style.

A lot of what I write, I can't even say that as a listener I'd choose to listen to it for relaxation. It's more or less a recreation, a practice, not a big performance.

My site links all lead to my stuff one way or another... it's basically bellowbelle.net ~ ourstage.com/fanclub/bellowbelle

My concertina is for me myself and I, but since my husband has been playing his harmonicas and I join him with accordion and foot bass (he can't HEAR my concertina -- and the concertina is too close in sound to his harmonicas!), my OTHER site is for all that. Public domain traditional gospel and other-type songs. That's hallelujahbums.net ~ ourstage.com/fanclub/thehallelujahbums

And now I have to go hear our new president's speech on tv!!!!

I guess I am not alone in that if I am sufficiently attracted to a melody, OF WHATEVER STYLE OR GENRE, and that melody sticks in my head I will always attempt to transfer it to my solo Anglo. It will very soon become apparent, for a variety of reasons, whether or not the exercise is going to be a success. The instrument tells me whether it wishes to accept or reject my idea and if it gives me the thumbs-down I tend to accept it's better judgement and move on.

My opinion was and is, that because of concertina pecularities it's poorly suited for modern energetic styles, it lacks power and complexity of sound. ......

The Chemnitzer has enough power for pop music....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=THlgU-8dMYg

Anything has enough power for anything. The question is about single reed English/Anglo/Duet and the matter is getting accepted by modern day popular culture. I don't think we have any chance of that, nor do I desire it. Now if you are to start your own rock band, consisting of concertinas, go for it. But you have to have sufficient talent to start following. Until then...

I guess I am not alone in that if I am sufficiently attracted to a melody, OF WHATEVER STYLE OR GENRE, and that melody sticks in my head I will always attempt to transfer it to my solo Anglo. It will very soon become apparent, for a variety of reasons, whether or not the exercise is going to be a success. The instrument tells me whether it wishes to accept or reject my idea and if it gives me the thumbs-down I tend to accept it's better judgement and move on.

No, Rod, you are not alone! That very much sums up my approach to the Anglo repertoire.

Cheers,

John

Jody, I like that phrase, "native speaker". Says a lot in a couple of words. As Rod points out, it will become apparent as soon as you hear it whether a tune is gonna be worth pursuing further or not ( on the concertina).

" Little Wing" would never be more than a novelty piece, but I'm kinda susceptable that way.

I'm still trying to convince our choir teacher that an acapella version of "Kung Fu Fighting " would be a kick to hear from our Jazz choir; he remains unconvinced.

Again, theres advantages in playing in the living room; you might not have to dodge overripe tomatos.

Wendy: I loved "It's just the wind". A very cool shivery ditty. I have been whistling a melody I call "Whistling past the Graveyard" that I'm just not musician enough to realize on concertina yet, but I keep on tryin'

I try not to take myself too seriously: my wife would say that I'm doing a pretty good job...

RB

..................................................................................Wendy: I loved "It's just the wind". A very cool shivery ditty. I have been whistling a melody I call "Whistling past the Graveyard" that I'm just not musician enough to realize on concertina yet, but I keep on tryin'.......................................

Hey, Thanks! :rolleyes: A compliment is cheery, especially since I'm now down at about...uh, 225 (out of 278 entries). :lol:

That is, in the voting ranks at the website where I have the song.

I wish the site (ourstage.com) had a category for reeds/bellows music (not just reeds...don't want oboes, etc). But, something tells me there's not much point in suggesting that, though it's crossed my mind to do so.