A Question Of Style. {english}

With the Anglo Concertina & Irish Music, I reckon Micheal O'Raghallaigh, Tim Collins & Noel Hill would probably be ragarded as being the most influential, today & of course most players would have their own favourites.

When it comes to the English Concertina though, I suppose most people would regard Simon Thoumire as one of the greatest technical masters of the instrument, alive today. True or False?

However, I'm curious to know who peoples favourite players of the E. C. are ....... & why?

Is it possible to say that there is one English Concertina player who can do it all, or are there, in your opinion, various masters of different styles, regional or otherwise, e.g. Northumbrian, Morris etc etc?

Cheers

Dick

chiton 1 is my favourite, although i heard him play a few tunes once. He plays very lively and well accented Irish music.

Dirk

Dirk you're making me blush... How can I now submit my music on Cnet without disappointing everybody??

Thank you for the compliment, but I can asure you that (for instance) Simon Thoumire can do much better than I (although he's not into Irish music).

Besides Simon Thoumire I also very much enjoy the playing of Robert Harbron and Dave Townsend (and others in non traditional music).

chiton 1 is my favourite, although i heard him play a few tunes once. He plays very lively and well accented Irish music.

Dirk

Dirk you're making me blush... How can I now submit my music on Cnet without disappointing everybody??

Thank you for the compliment, but I can asure you that (for instance) Simon Thoumire can do much better than I (although he's not into Irish music).

Besides Simon Thoumire I also very much enjoy the playing of Robert Harbron and Dave Townsend (and others in non traditional music).

It is a shame that during my work assembling English International that your name was not mentioned to me.I spent many hours searching for English System Irish Music players.My researches took me to Australia, France,Ireland America and Denmark.

The idea of EI was to demonstrate different playing styles and it is very difficult to choose certain players above others in the end I would think it is down to the type of music you like,if however you are like me and enjoy all types of music and the way that it is played on the concertina then that is what makes the whole picture interesting

Al

My favorite EC player was and is John Roberts. I dream of being able to accompany songs as well as he does...someday.

'Course, I think John also plays anglo...

Rhomylly:

John does play English AND Anglo.

He is also one of my favorite Englsih style anglo players.

Gorgeous accompaniments.

I wish I could do that on English.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

How can I now submit my music on Cnet without disappointing everybody??

I can asure you that (for instance) Simon Thoumire can do much better than I (although he's not into Irish music).

Hi Hermann,

you won't disappoint 'everybody' because you won't disappoint at least one person: me.(lol)

Yes, Simon Thoumire is brilliant on the You Tube I saw from him, but his swing isn't as good as yours.

Just my humble idea...

kind greetings from

Dirk

Norman Chalmers and Robert Harbron.

also Hermann - you sounded great at the Fluit Meeting in March, I just wish there had been more time to play together.

Regards

Pamela Fluit

Ha Ha Three Cheers for Norman Chalmers!

He gets my vote too, Pamela. :)

Cheers

Dick

Another vote for Robert Harbron from me - I've obviously been aware of the EC ever since I got into playing traditional music in the late 70s, but Rob (particularly his lovely ensemble stuff with Dr Faustus) was the first player to make me think 'I want one of those!'

Another vote for Robert Harbron from me - I've obviously been aware of the EC ever since I got into playing traditional music in the late 70s, but Rob (particularly his lovely ensemble stuff with Dr Faustus) was the first player to make me think 'I want one of those!'

Steve, despite all the CDs he's been involved in, I'm surprised to find only one YouTube which includes Robert's playing! :huh:

Well, those are all wonderful players, and John Roberts whom I have listened to in the Albany area for many years is definitely great, but the person I have never met but whom I believe has a tremendous feel for the music, p;aying with others, and melding music and song is Mark Evans. More than anyone else I have heard, I would enjoy taking a lesson or workshop with him but I have never seen an indication that he does such things. JGG

also Hermann - you sounded great at the Fluit Meeting in March, I just wish there had been more time to play together.

Regards

Pamela Fluit

I am sure we'll have some tunes in the future (I'll have to learn a few Scottish ones...).

Probably go to Scotland next year, but don't know when yet.

Regards

Pamela Fluit

I am sure we'll have some tunes in the future (I'll have to learn a few Scottish ones...).

Probably go to Scotland next year, but don't know when yet.

I'll look forward to that! Let me know when you next plan to visit Edinburgh... or Scotland...

Steve, despite all the CDs he's been involved in, I'm surprised to find only one YouTube which includes Robert's playing! :huh:

I presume you mean solo clips, because there are quite a few of him playing in the trio with Nancy Kerr and James Fagan:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YDl4XVV2G7Q

and

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRtH1EWpfA

are both nice examples, and the 'Related Videos' links from either of those will turn up several others.

Lovely stuff.

There's at least 10 if you just search for harbron (all with kerr and fagan).

EXCELLENT ... THANKS.