Electro Plating

Theo

I am looking for recommedations of a reliable electroplater, preferably UK-based, who can renew the nickel plating on pre-war melodeon grilles. The grilles are sometimes steel, sometimes brass. I imagine the process is very much the same as would be used on a metal end from a concertina. There are plenty of electroplaters advertising in Yellow pages etc, but most are used to working with much heavier metal parts, and I do not want to entrust a flimsy pierced instrument grille to someone more used to working on motorcycle parts.

Theo

Theo,

A word of warning : I know several people whose precious, hand-fretted, concertina ends have been "lost" in the plating vat, either never to be seen again, or badly eroded when they were finally retrieved. Be careful to only use someone who understands the problems, and comes well recommended, maybe a concertina maker would be best.

If any of the grills is from a Hohner, it may be safer to buy a new grill from them, but personally, I rather like the old-looking grill on my 1930 Hohner.

Stephen

Thanks for your thoughts which I share and are the reason for this request.

I know I can get new Hohner grilles for the current models. I am working on several pre-war club 2 models. The grilles on these are slightly larger. I want to be able to offer a fully restored instrument for sale, to the same high standards that a number of concertina repairers are able to achieve. Replating is just about the only process I can't do myself, so I hoped that some concertina restorers might be able to advise me.

Theo

Replating is just about the only process I can't do myself, so I hoped that some concertina restorers might be able to advise me.

Actually, you can do it yourself, with an electroless nickel process. You can find information and materials on the web.

Best regards,

Tom

www.bluesbox.biz

I am looking for recommedations of a reliable electroplater, preferably UK-based, who can renew the nickel plating on pre-war melodeon grilles. The grilles are sometimes steel, sometimes brass. I imagine the process is very much the same as would be used on a metal end from a concertina. There are plenty of electroplaters advertising in Yellow pages etc, but most are used to working with much heavier metal parts, and I do not want to entrust a flimsy pierced instrument grille to someone more used to working on motorcycle parts.

Theo

Hi, I have had many concertina ends redone, nickel plated and I have been pleased with everyone, Th e ends must be in good condition, if there is any pitting the polisher can only remove so much before the ends would wear through. I use a plater here on Merseyside. Thanks Peter

• 7 years later...

Theo

Hi, I have had many concertina ends redone, nickel plated and I have been pleased with everyone, Th e ends must be in good condition, if there is any pitting the polisher can only remove so much before the ends would wear through. I use a plater here on Merseyside. Thanks Peter

I have an Aeola I'm thinking of replating.

Anyone got any recommendations for platers in UK who have some understanding of our instruments and/or a sympathy for them?

Theo

Anyone got any recommendations for platers in UK who have some understanding of our instruments and/or a sympathy for them?

I know that Peter Dunk of this forum had the ends on his Aeola TT replated, sometime ago, with good results. It might pay to PM him and ask him where he got it done.

Chris

http://www.lathco.co.uk/ in Sheffield come recommended by a couple of pipe makers I know who use them to get pipe ferrules silver plated. As it happens I decided just to polish the ends I was think of having re-plated, but this firm do a lot of work on silver tableware, so they should be able to treat concertina ends with the delicacy they deserve. They do nickel plating too.

• 2 weeks later...

Theo

Hi Theo,

What sort of plate are you looking for?

Nickel; Chrome?

For most plating to be successful you need to strip the old plate off, and here lies the problem in erosion, After stripping there can be an under coat of copper or for chrome, nickel. Then there is the top coat. These are usually specified in how many microns of build you want. If there are engraved or riveted embossed features, serial number plates etc. they can be semi- obliterated; you may choose to remove where possible, or have them wax masked.

Plating does not like sharp edges, or pitted surfaces, you can get gas bubbles forming in the electrolyte which retards (locally) the plating process. I would strongly advise the use of a decorative finish processor rather than an engineering processor. The hard chrome used in most applications these days is for wear resistance, Chrome is not water proof, it relies on it's undercoat to achieve that, so it is important that you get the spec right for the plating process:

Stripping; wax masking of engraved or embossed plates; undercoat and topcoat with thicknesses.

Dave

I know that Peter Dunk of this forum had the ends on his Aeola TT replated, sometime ago, with good results. It might pay to PM him and ask him where he got it done.

Chris

They weren't replated - merely polished and lacquered

Bill

I see. Well, that's not what he told me. Perhaps I mis-understood, or he did.

Chris