Top Quality Lachenal Edeophone

richard

NOW SOLD...THANKS R.G.

This is a 56 button extended treble instrument.The lowest note is G below C, and the highest note is G.

This is a lovely and wonderful sounding, and playing, top level English concertina in very good condition. It recently emerged from hibernation in an attic in Florida where it sat for a decade or more, and has just been put in fit condition (including 2 new thumb straps) by Wim Wakker of Concertina Connection. The reeds were checked, tuned and adjusted for best tone and response, and it received new pads, valves, springs, and bushings, and the button height and travel were set.

According to Wim Wakker:

This is the “better” Edeophone design, with the larger hole in the reed pan, and from a good period, late 1920’s-early 1930’s. The Lachenal Serial number is 58175

He also said the wood work and reeds are in good condition. The reeds have not been compromised by a tuning badly executed, as happens sometimes.

There is a range of quality in Edeophones and Mr. Wakker rates this instrument in the top 30%.

This includes the original Lachenal leather case (no key) which is in good condition, for its age. The concertina should have a sturdier case for best protection when traveling.

The price is $ 3,500.00 USD

I will send this anywhere.

Please email with any questions.

richardgldbrg@aol.com

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

The above announcement of my Edeophone for sale has been updated with fresh photos of the instrument in its current state post restoration. I have added O.B.O. to the asking price.

Thank you,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

The asking price of this instrument has been reduced.

thanks.

Richard

It'd be nice to hear the sound throught the range.

I'm sure the responce and action and tuning is beyond expectations, but the tone is important. Some like it honky, some sweet, some bright, and $5000 is looking like serious business. Must be tried first ot allowed for trial period.

Hello

Please note I changed the asking price to $4,500.00.

Anyone is welcome to hear the instrument over the phone, and/or in person. There would be a 7 day trial period when the concertina could be sent back and money refunded.

It is located in San Francisco.

"I'm sure the responce and action and tuning is beyond expectations, but the tone is important. Some like it honky, some sweet, some bright,"

Everything has been tuned up by Wim Wakker.

To me the tone sounds honky, warm, and sweet. I'll leave it to others to qualify the sound for themselves.

I could send an mp3 of me playing the notes. I don't play English so I could't offer up a melody.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello

This Edeophone is still available.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I think your problem is that typically restored Edeophones seem to go for around $3200 by my observation.

Can anybody give me an overview of what does "restored Edeophone" mean?

How many seconds for free bellows expansion, response from lower reeds, loudness of high reeds, buton travel, noise level, overall balance etc. Are the specs high, are there specifics to check, if one is to buy it, how to know it's done to correct level?

Thanks.

How many seconds for free bellows expansion, response from lower reeds, loudness of high reeds, buton travel, noise level, overall balance etc. Are the specs high, are there specifics to check, if one is to buy it, how to know it's done to correct level?

Thanks.

Why not ask "How long is a piece of string?".

Thanks.

Why not ask "How long is a piece of string?".

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but it feels like some sort of reprimand. Which is OK, if justified.

When I'm evaluating, say, Hohner Pokerwork, I ask:

1. how many seconds bellows take to expand freely with treble down?

2. is there any clacking noise, squeaking noise from the keyboard or buttons?

3. Are octaves tuned in unison?

4. Are there any rubmlings in the low reeds on push/pulling?

5. Are the high reeds equally easy to speak as middle reeds?

Good is when bellows expand for 45-60 seconds,

low clacking noise, even for all buttons and no squeaking from springs, rubbing etc.,

octaves are in unison, and high reeds may be slightly less responsive than middle.

Push/pull rumble is OK on low reeds only.

This kind of Pokerwork may cost $500-600 used.

When there is no clacking, no rumble, all reeds respond equally, the tone is not metallic, basses are easy to speak, full rich sound with not even a hint at buzzing, the tuning is even throughout, high reeds are as loud as low - $800.

For top of the line instruments super-duper tune-up of Pokerworks is only a treshhold of acceptable quality. So I was wondering if there is such set of standards, like " the bellows must expand for no quicker than 3 hours", or "low reeds must be as loud as ...Hz on the pressure of ...newtons per Square Cm" etc. Then the instrument can be brought to the shop and checked. The results published and a buyer can only check if the general feel and sound are OK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello again

I need money for gas. Price is now $3,500.

Richard

Hey, isn't this instrument now up for sale at The Box Place?

Incidentally, please excuse my ignorance, but when it says "EXTENDED" what exactly does this mean?

e.g. do you get 4 extra high notes each side or 4 extra low notes each side?

Cheers

Dick

Incidentally, please excuse my ignorance, but when it says "EXTENDED" what exactly does this mean?

Cheers

Dick

It may well be the same instrument, the person I'm selling it for bought it fairly recently.

"Extended treble" generally means extra high notes. If it was extended downwards it would be a Tenor-treble.

Cheers

Dick

It may well be the same instrument, the person I'm selling it for bought it fairly recently.

"Extended treble" generally means extra high notes. If it was extended downwards it would be a Tenor-treble.

Thanks for clearing that one up Theo.

Cheers

Dick