Case Recommendation

Marklar

I'm the lucky owner of a vintage Crabb. The original case is falling apart and in no condition to use. I need to send the concertina off for restoration and tuning, so I really need a good sturdy hard case that is suitable for shipping.

Any recommenations would be welcome. Price is no object here, I'll pay whatever I need to to protect this instrument. Well, price does matter, but I'm willing to go for something expensive if I need to.

Greg Jowaises seems to be the acknowledged expert in this field. I think you're in the UK but it's probably worth the wait and shipping costs to have a truly bespoke case made for you. Drop Greg a PM via the board, I'm sure he'll sort you out.

A good source for cheap, but well made boxes for shipping is charity shops.Vanity cases with the mirror removed and any internal trays and shelves.gives ample room for a concertina bubble wrapped and protected. You should be able to pick one up for between £10 - £20 .

Many know I carry my two concertinas in a lovely tan leather vanity carrying case and I am very pleased with it.

Al

Just a thought. The Dippers don't like being sent concertinas for repair in cases very much, because their house is waist deep in cases and they have a hankering for seeing their floor from time to time. Wrap it in lots of bubble wrap inside a good cardboard box and it should get there fine.

Check with your restorer what his/her preference is.

Chris

Edited to add PS: congratulations on the Crabb. None of the foregoing should put you off buying a decent case for your fine concertina for normal use.

Edited by Chris Timson

I will vouch for the Fallon cases. I bought one for my Holmwood English concertina as I was concerned about the pressure exerted by the tight plastic case it came in. If you have a quality concertina, you will want a quality case to protect it.