Wanted: Beginner Concertina.

Greg Shaw

Hi

I recently developed an interest in playing the concertina. This may or may not last but as an adult I have developed a bit more stick-to-itness. Anyway, I was going to buy a Hohner on ebay for $120 shipped but through reading these forums have found that it may not be a great idea. Does anyone have or is it even possible to get an instrument I will enjoy spending time with for $150 or less?

Thanks

Greg

Hi

I recently developed an interest in playing the concertina. This may or may not last but as an adult I have developed a bit more stick-to-itness. Anyway, I was going to buy a Hohner on ebay for $120 shipped but through reading these forums have found that it may not be a great idea. Does anyone have or is it even possible to get an instrument I will enjoy spending time with for $150 or less?

Thanks

Greg

Greg, glad you are on board. I began with a 20b Hohner, D40 model, think. It lasted a month. A replacement Hohner lasted all of 5 minutes before completely stuck buttons made it unplayable. The best, low cost, beginning 30b concertina is the Rochelle. It costs $285, incl shipping. You can find out about it at the following link:

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rochelle%20anglo.htm

You might get lucky on ebay and get a sub-$200 concertina that will play long enough for you to know that you want to upgrade. On the other hand, it is quite likely you'll get a piece of frustrating junk in that price range. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Recommend the Rochelle or a used Stagi from The Button Box, if they happen to have one that they've re-conditioned. Good luck.

Hi

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

As CaryK said, a "decent" concertina, that you can "musically grow" with, will cost more than your stated budget. My first was a 30b Anglo, Stagi, for $400. I now am a proud owner of many, MUCH better quality, Anglos, Englishes and even a few Duets, mostly built by Lachenal. They all cost $600+ and many needed some restoration, before they played to their potential.

Firstly, you should decide what your bare needs are. A 20button or 30button Anglo? A 46 or 48button English? Talk with experienced concertinists; what are reputable brand names within your budget? Where might you find them for sale? Are any close enough that you might be able to bring a "player friend" to test the instrument, before buying? What is the consensus, used or new, within the experienced, concertina community?

I would suggest a used, QUALITY instrument, that a "player friend" has played and approves of. The structural soundness and quality of the reeds should take precedence, over cosmetic perfection. Some of my nicest sounding and playing (vintage Lachenal) Anglos could use a good refinishing, to take out scratches and surface "dings". I also have a couple (new) that LOOK like they should play like a dream, but have sticky buttons, cruddy reeds or are just a very pretty, but crappy, piece of JUNK! (even people, with experience, get "rooked by looks") Look to people you trust, in the concertina community, that have moved up to a better quality instrument. Ask what they might be asking for their previous instrument. Can it be seen and played, before buying? Get specifics about the instrument, consult learned friends and DON'T BE IN A HURRY! Deals CAN be found and patience can better your chances of finding that quality instrument, that will serve you for years, but not drain your bank account. (Believe me! Top of the line instruments WILL drain your bank account! But they ARE worth every penny to the true afficiado! lol) Cordially, Kerry F

Hi Greg & welcome to Concertina.net

While I believe you can get something from even very cheap Concertinas (I started learning on one that cost about $120) IMHO you'd be far better waiting and saving a bit more so that you can by a Rochelle (Anglo) or Jack/Jackie (English) from Concertina Connection & while you wait you can check here and on Ebay for a used one coming up for sale.

There's a reason these instruments are raved about on this site by those that have tried them - in terms of quality & playability they are head and shoulders above other instruments in the same price bracket. One of these instruments should meet all your needs as a beginner. They also have the advantage that used ones seem to sell for a healthy percentage of their new price, so if you don't take to it you should get a lot more of your money back than if you buy a lower spec instrument.

You pays your money and you makes yer choice - but if it were me.......

good luck with whatever you decide

- W

Edited by Woody

Like the others already told, the Rochelle seems a good choice to begin with, the action looks much better to me than the one on the hohners that I have seen. If you have enough money, you could also by a lachenal or even something more expensive like a crabb, a wheatstone or a jeffries. They will keep their value (won't they?).

Thanks to everyone.

I guess I was expecting this response. I am going to look for a used Rochelle or Jack/ie. I need to keep my my price low because I just bought my 5th guitar last week and my wife is a tad anoyed. I'll keep an eye on the list here?

Again, thanks to everyone for the generous welcome and information.

Greg

I guess I was expecting this response. I am going to look for a used Rochelle or Jack/ie. I need to keep my my price low because I just bought my 5th guitar last week and my wife is a tad anoyed.

And did each of those guitars cost $150 or less? :unsure:

If you have enough money, you could also by a lachenal or even something more expensive like a crabb, a wheatstone or a jeffries. They will keep their value (won't they?).

That's one of the main advantages to buying one of these. If you decided the concertina wasn't for you you'd have to work quite hard to lose money on the resale. In the meantime you'd have the pleasure and the advantage of learning on an instrument that won't get in the way of your learning and will probably encourage it. But realising that many (most?) people cannot afford these beauties - at least, not until the bug has bitten and you're willing to mortgage the spouse to get that lovely little Jeffries - is why we direct people at the Rochelle and the Jackie. They are instruments that will fairly get you started at a price that is quite amazing. If you want to go cheaper than that then I would seriously recommend you investigate the penny whistle.

Cheers,

Chris

I guess I was expecting this response. I am going to look for a used Rochelle or Jack/ie. I need to keep my my price low because I just bought my 5th guitar last week and my wife is a tad anoyed.

And did each of those guitars cost $150 or less? :unsure:

I hate to say it, but it is far easier to buy a reasonable starter guitar for that than it is a concertina, but it still takes a knowledgable person to go with you to buy it. but most likely you are going to look at more like $400-$1000 to be a guitar that will get you through for a while. As to the wife, I justified my last concertina when she bought one of those little Martins recently. The real trick is to let her buy something, then justify the concertina.

Alan

Hi

Thanks

Greg

As a beginning player here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I started by buying a cheap Anglo from eBay. It really wasn't clicking with me, and some keys would stick now and then. I was pretty unhappy all around, and who knows if I could get the $50 back I paid for it too.

So I ponied up the $125 or so for a 30-button English, probably made in China, and is still being sold on eBay from the same people. The keys didn't stick, and as a beginner instrument it's really not half bad. The only thing I did find was 2 sets of reeds were flipped. (The high F swapped with F# and the low B swapped with Bb.) Annoying, yes, but still quite playable. The keys don't stick, and I've learned enough with it that I really do want a 48-key English of some sort.

Now, the recommendation to get a reallly GOOD instrument feels to me like recommending a Stradivarius to a beginning violin player if they just wanted enough to get their feet wet, but not make a huge financial outlay. Sure, a Strad' is going to keep its value, and sell for as much as you paid for it, but if it breaks while you have it, or you lose it...

So I've mixed feelings. You really don't want an instrument that is so frustrating to play that you toss it in disgust. You don't want one so cheap that it just sounds tinny, and isn't worth playing.

If you do buy one that's in the $600-$1,000 dollar range, chances are if you figure out you don't want to play it you COULD sell it on eBay and chances are make more money on it than you spent.

If you're not sure though... I dunno, it's up to you. There's some eBay seller allegedly in Houston who sells cheap ones. You could feel limited with 30 buttons, if you're looking at an EC and are a "real musician"..

Of course if you ask which you should get, an Anglo or an English---that's a whole 'nother discussion for another day! I've tried both, but I personally like the flexibility of the EC better. (It has all those accidentals so I can play alot more music that's stuck in my head... ;) )

But yeah, maybe you wanna get a slightly better quality one if you think you might stick it out for a while. I'm waiting for my 3rd concertina to arrive... but I do have a "stunt" instrument, for traveling and such. Good luck!

Like Woody put it so eloquently: "You pays your money and you makes yer choice - but if it were me......."

There are $100 Boxes, $1000 boxes $2000 $3000 boxes, and nothing in between. If there were as many concertina manufacturers as guitar manufacturers there would be as many choices. Unfortunately there is not. I suspect it will be a long time before that changes. There are occasional playable $100 instruments, but they seem to be in the rare minority, and when the do I understand it's only for a short time. The next step up is the Stagi line. Most seem playable for a longer time. The last are custom made one at a time by craftsman doing beautiful work, and they all work, and will probably outlast me. There are no Martin, Fender, Yamaha, Gibson, Ibanez or the like manufacturing concertinas by the hundreds. There are no "Concertina" Worlds in every shopping mall. The antique instruments can be had, but may need rebuilt, which could double the price, or more. Those are the choices, nothing more.

On the bright side there are more choices than there were 10 years ago. The Rochelle/Jack/Jackie line from what I can see is a welcome relief in that it is a well supported and relatively inexpensive alternative to ""not a lot of choice". The next 10 we'll see.........????

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

If you want to go cheaper than that then I would seriously recommend you investigate the penny whistle.

Like these Chris? :P

You make my point for me nicely, Woody. The most expensive whistle they sell, the dare I say it aspirational whistle, costs just a little more than a Rochelle. Concertinas are expensive beasts, unfortunately,and a quick part count shows you why.

Chris

If you want to go cheaper than that then I would seriously recommend you investigate the penny whistle.

You make my point for me nicely, Woody. The most expensive whistle they sell, the dare I say it aspirational whistle, costs just a little more than a Rochelle. Concertinas are expensive beasts, unfortunately,and a quick part count shows you why.

Chris

A quick part count? Ever peek at the bass side of an accordion with a Stradella bass? Lots of parts in that... yet accordions are a dime a dozen. Ish. Just saying.

But of course it's about more than just the number of parts.. when the wood is just right, and it's tuned, and it's built just right... Why is a Stradivarius so highly prized? They have a difficult time making a violin as perfect as those Strads were..and they're still not certain why. Well, they can guess. Newer Chinese violins don't compare.. same with new Chinese 'tinas.. mass produced stuff just can't compare, I think.

But it's good that there are some middle instruments out there. :) Just my 2 cents. Yeah, ideally get the best you can afford is pretty good advice for any instrument I think.

I also like the Copeland whistles.

You make my point for me nicely, Woody. The most expensive whistle they sell, the dare I say it aspirational whistle, costs just a little more than a Rochelle.

Not negating your point in any way, Chris, but Chris Abell will do custom work for even higher prices. E.g., his quote to me for a whistle with gold instead of silver for the metal was about double the price of the equivalent sterling silver model. (I haven't ordered the gold one... at least not yet. :))

Now, the recommendation to get a reallly GOOD instrument feels to me like recommending a Stradivarius to a beginning violin player if they just wanted enough to get their feet wet, but not make a huge financial outlay.

Then you don't understand either concertinas, violins, or both.

There is nothing among concertinas which is equivalent to a Stradivari or Guarneri violin in terms of rarity, demand, and price compared to the rest of the market. There are a great many excellent violins -- both vintage and contemporary -- which in terms of quality and market demand might be reasonably compared to Æolas, Edeophones, Dippers, etc. in top condition. In general, they are much more accessible -- in both availability and price -- than Strads and Guarneris, though they're still well out of the reach of my budget. A friend of mine, who used to be a professional flute player and at conservatory learned the rudiments of violin playing, was not enthusiastic about the $1000 fiddle which I was loaning to her daughter. "But," she said, "that's probably because I've never before handled a violin that cost less than $10,000." :o

And in both concertinas and fiddles there is still a wide range of instruments at prices between the cheap even-a-virtuoso-couldn't-make-it-sound-good range and the very best. When people here recommend starting with a "good" -- or even a "reallly GOOD" -- instrument, I don't think they generally mean "the best and most expensive instrument that money can buy". And that's certainly what your Stradivarius comparison implies. Above the Jackie/Jack/Rochelle models from Wim Wakker, there are a number of excellent new instruments in the $1500-2500 range and decent (though not "superb") vintage instruments in the same range and occasionally even lower. (And I mean from reputable and expert dealers, not just from the gambler's paradise known as eBay.)

I suppose that for someone who truly has only $150 to spend, prices of $1,000 and $10,000 are equally inaccessible, but that doesn't mean that there's no difference at all between those amounts or the instruments that they can buy.