Hi Dan,

I've recently been asked what I thought of a scheme to photograph concertinas, suggested by Old Nickelby on the history forum. Yep, its a good idea, but like the things you've mentioned it needs someone who is prepared to put in the time and effort to take it up and run with it. Finding the 'leading light' is always the main problem with new ideas, and although the ICA can provide support, it doesn't have a bunch of employed staff that it can set to work. I remember your idea at the AGM getting this kind of response, pretty much as Chris's personal feelings above.

Its probably worth using PICA as an example. Allan Atlas came up with a detailed plan, offered to edit it (thanks Allan!), and asked the ICA to support it by publishing it. It wasn't difficult for the ICA folks to decide what to do, because they were presented with somebody wanting to do something. Same applies to Chris T. with the website, myself with the doc arc, and things like young players who'd like some financial help to attend a concertina course.

If we already have a something in place, we can try to add suggestions that are relevant, so your first item will be considered when we think about the future of the library and the website. Your second suggestion has been under review for a long while - as Roger indicates, there are still many ICA members who are paper only or for preference - and in many cases they are our oldest members. And as we've found before, somebody will make a fuss about how their emailed Newsletter costs less than a posted paper one, so why can't their subs be less, rather than caring about any benefit to the ICA's work.

The answer to your third point is simple: Who wants to volunteer to organise it?

best wishes ..wes

Hi Wes,

My response to that third point is equally simple :) : I already volunteered. In the note I sent to the ICA last year, which was published in the AGM minutes for the 2006 meeting, I said, "If your members like the idea, I'd be happy to help host an experimental first one...or you might wish to try the Button Box workshop..." I waited for a reply following your meeting that never came. (The minutes noted: "This was briefly discussed by the meeting and accepted to be part of the minutes with the request that people take it away and think about it".) Our third annual workshop in Palestine this past Spring was the venue I had in mind, and the event could have generated a few more ICA members.

No biggie; sometimes inertia is hard to overcome. If the ICA truly wishes to internationalize, some motion must come from within. I suspect there are more non-UK members than just me who would help if approached.

My other two suggestions were not suggesting additional work....quite the opposite! If a librarian is expected to scan or photograph archive materials, it should be no more difficult to post them on your 'members only' part of the ICA site (assuming access had been granted to him/her earlier) than it is to be emailing it. Then it is there forever for any other member who might want it in the future. And as far as the paper bulletin goes, that is great as long as you have people with the large commitment in time and resouces to take it to the printer, go through the copy editing process, pick it up, adress and stuff envelopes, and trot it off to the post. I remember reading in the newsletter the last few years a few groans about that process. Intertia keeps that process alive, but many, many organizations and societies have realized that that is a lot of unneeded work for their members, and have gone electronic. It IS very nice to have that paper product of course, and great if you can still keep it going! I might even volunteer to help on that one too...but I'm a bit far away to help stuff envelopes. I did write an article for the latest PICA, though.

All the best,

Dan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan,

I've recently been asked what I thought of a scheme to photograph concertinas, suggested by Old Nickelby on the history forum. Yep, its a good idea, but like the things you've mentioned it needs someone who is prepared to put in the time and effort to take it up and run with it. Finding the 'leading light' is always the main problem with new ideas, and although the ICA can provide support, it doesn't have a bunch of employed staff that it can set to work. I remember your idea at the AGM getting this kind of response, pretty much as Chris's personal feelings above.

Its probably worth using PICA as an example. Allan Atlas came up with a detailed plan, offered to edit it (thanks Allan!), and asked the ICA to support it by publishing it. It wasn't difficult for the ICA folks to decide what to do, because they were presented with somebody wanting to do something. Same applies to Chris T. with the website, myself with the doc arc, and things like young players who'd like some financial help to attend a concertina course.

If we already have a something in place, we can try to add suggestions that are relevant, so your first item will be considered when we think about the future of the library and the website. Your second suggestion has been under review for a long while - as Roger indicates, there are still many ICA members who are paper only or for preference - and in many cases they are our oldest members. And as we've found before, somebody will make a fuss about how their emailed Newsletter costs less than a posted paper one, so why can't their subs be less, rather than caring about any benefit to the ICA's work.

The answer to your third point is simple: Who wants to volunteer to organise it?

best wishes ..wes

Hi Wes,

My response to that third point is equally simple :) : I already volunteered. In the note I sent to the ICA last year, which was published in the AGM minutes for the 2006 meeting, I said, "If your members like the idea, I'd be happy to help host an experimental first one...or you might wish to try the Button Box workshop..." I waited for a reply following your meeting that never came. (The minutes noted: "This was briefly discussed by the meeting and accepted to be part of the minutes with the request that people take it away and think about it".) Our third annual workshop in Palestine this past Spring was the venue I had in mind, and the event could have generated a few more ICA members.

No biggie; sometimes inertia is hard to overcome. If the ICA truly wishes to internationalize, some motion must come from within. I suspect there are more non-UK members than just me who would help if approached.

My other two suggestions were not suggesting additional work....quite the opposite! If a librarian is expected to scan or photograph archive materials, it should be no more difficult to post them on your 'members only' part of the ICA site (assuming access had been granted to him/her earlier) than it is to be emailing it. Then it is there forever for any other member who might want it in the future. And as far as the paper bulletin goes, that is great as long as you have people with the large commitment in time and resouces to take it to the printer, go through the copy editing process, pick it up, adress and stuff envelopes, and trot it off to the post. I remember reading in the newsletter the last few years a few groans about that process. Intertia keeps that process alive, but many, many organizations and societies have realized that that is a lot of unneeded work for their members, and have gone electronic. It IS very nice to have that paper product of course, and great if you can still keep it going! I might even volunteer to help on that one too...but I'm a bit far away to help stuff envelopes. I did write an article for the latest PICA, though.

All the best,

Dan

I'm sure Suzanne wanted to say more than that, so let me say it. This matter is back on the committee's agenda and we are discussing it actively now. It's our fault that we let it slip, we were a bit busy just before and after the AGM, but we should have picked it up and run with it afterwards. Sorry, Dan. Anyway, watch this space!

Chris