Nautical Concertina - With Portholes!

This odd item just came up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/old-skinners-english-c...1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone explain the "portholes" around the sides? Obviously not an English concertina, but an Anglo-German, probably sold (and maybe made) in England.

I have a similar concertina, found in Thailand of all places. Same holes in the sides. I thougt the holes might be for volume. Reminds me of a Czech button accordion with the little brass trumpet bells on the bass side.

Earl

Edited by earl

Can anyone explain the "portholes" around the sides? Obviously not an English concertina, but an Anglo-German, probably sold (and maybe made) in England.
I have a similar concertina, found in Thailand of all places. Same holes in the sides. I thougt the holes might be for volume. Reminds me of a Czech button accordion with the little brass trumpet bells on the bass side.

It's a German concertina (though with "imitation Anglo" fretcut ends), made probably in Klingenthal. The holes around the sides are called "trumpet holes", intended to help the sound project from the instrument (and probably also to look "cool" B) ), and such concertinas (and sometimes melodeons) are often found.

Next question: do those "trumpet holes" actually do any good? :huh: I suspect that if they did, they would have been adopted by later makers. <_<

I really don't think it makes any difference at all. The "trumpet" concertina I have has a miserable sound. I just own it as a novelty. I have a Tedrow for actual music playing.

Earl

They're common on German-made concertinas, including good ones like my E.L. Arnold Chemnitzer. It's not surprising that they're rare or non-existent on British-made concertinas--it's a different manufacturing and design tradition. German makers of small concertinas like this one borrowed ideas (especially in outward appearance) from the British makers, perhaps because they were exporting lots of concertinas to the British Isles. British makers weren't selling to the German market so they had no reason to adopt a German look.

That's my theory, anyway....

Daniel

Next question: do those "trumpet holes" actually do any good? :huh: I suspect that if they did, they would have been adopted by later makers. <_<

Well, a few -- though apparently very few -- English-made concertinas had openings in the sides of the ends. I know they've been discussed before, and some photos posted, but my quick search attempt didn't find them. No time at the moment to search deeper, so maybe somebody else can locate them?

... a few -- though apparently very few -- English-made concertinas had openings in the sides of the ends. I know they've been discussed before, and some photos posted, but my quick search attempt didn't find them. No time at the moment to search deeper, so maybe somebody else can locate them?

Jim,

Try this thread, this one, or this.