Balking Reed

i tried the advise frank gave me here http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5813 , it still happening. maybe i can give more info now that i done a lil more playing on the concertina. here we go, it sounds ok while playing slow and smooth, but when i start triing and i mean triing to snase it up or playing it more snappy or faster it balks. it only the pull not the push. im pushing then with a quick pull, the reed just balks for a split second. it only on the one reed ,thanks

Edited by chainyanker

I had something like this once when the felt on the pad was badly worn (99% air) and made the leather to move away from the lever. If I pulled and played slow it acted normal as the air stream is not very fast. But when I played fast and pulled rapidly, then the pad was sucked to the plate, so that was why mine balked, only for that one reed.

The other way around, if you push, air is blowing the pad from the plate so the sound keeps coming and everything seems to be normal.

I had to replace the pad. Could that be your problem?

Another wild guess is that the frame slot may be not 90 degrees and (on the inside of the reed pan) not wide or long enough to let the reed go through. This could be in line with what you describe that at low volume the reed will move free but with loud volume then the reed may get jammed. In that case some filing and polishing could help (?)

Hi Jim

What you describe is the exact behaviour you get when a reed tongue is set slightly too low. It plays ok at low pressure, but if you try to start a note loud the reed chokes. It might possibly be a pad problem like Marien suggested. Maybe it is a new concertina, but clearly something is wrong!

I think th ereed set is the most likely, its an easy thing to miss on a pre-delivery check.

What you describe still seems like the action is too low. This behaviour seems to be more common on the pull than the push, in my expeience. When you try to raise the elevation it may take more than one try if the steel is very resilient. Look at the end of the reed tongue before you begin bending. after each attempt, check to see whether there is a difference. If not, do it again. A small rise will make a difference, so don't overdo it.