My "c" Won't Play

I just got my Jackie English concertina last night. All the notes played and it sounded very nice. This morning I got up and the "c" won't play on the push of my right hand. Is this a common ailment with an easy answer?(I hope!) Please let me know if this is something you all have faced and how to correct it. Thanks.

I just got my Jackie English concertina last night. All the notes played and it sounded very nice. This morning I got up and the "c" won't play on the push of my right hand. Is this a common ailment with an easy answer?(I hope!) Please let me know if this is something you all have faced and how to correct it. Thanks.

Well, whenever something like that has happened to me, I have just opened up the concertina, located the reed in question and blown some compressed air across it. In most cases there is probably a bit of dust or something that is preventing the reed to sound.

--

Bill

Just think about your warrenty before you gat too brave, talk to the vendor first

Dave E

Thanks for that feedback. I just emailed Concertina Connection for their imput. I bought the concertina off of Ebay, so I'm just asking for help. I'll either wait to hear from them or carefully open her up. I was so excited to be playing, I don't know if I can wait too long to have that note back.

Hi

You could buy Dave EllioTT's book on concertina maintenance, whilst not being 'make' specific lots of things are common to the different makes of concertinas

chris

The Jack and Jackie are built very differently to traditional concertinas, the action is of the same type but the reeds are of the accordion type and are mounted in banks on the back of the action board projecting into the bellows. I would wait until Wim Wakker gets back to you, I don't think he'll object to you opening the instrument and he will give you the proper instructions on correcting the problem.

Dave Elliott's book is excellent and I would recommended it to any concertina enthusiast with practical skills; the hybrid concertina is different animal to those referred to however so it will be of less use in this instance.

Well, my friend helped me open her up. We blew out some dust (a frequent prescence here in the Southwest) and now the note will play. I may need to do this with some other notes that are tending to not play as responsively. I will wait to here from Wim to see if there's anything I should be aware of in doing this. I just couldn't wait to play the instrument!

Edited by Nicholas