What's That Sound?

If it was new from a store/dealer, I would send it back!

Don

I'd agree, it probably is under warranty and if you open it up you may void the warranty. Call the seller about repair/replacement

It's a Hohner D 40. It's what I can aford at the time. I'll get a better instrument when I get better. But I was just hoping it was something I could fix so I didnt have to send it back. I play every Day And I'll miss playing till it comes back...

I picked it up this morning and I dont hear the buzzing. Do youthink it maybe just has a loose reed? And also where would I find the serial number? Apparently its not in an obvious spot.

Edited by sarahforgot

It could be a reed out of place, hitting the walls of the slot. So if you go in, you find the reed that buzzes and push it sideways with a screwdriver. A few small pushes will do.

Or it could be valve that is less than perfect. Again, finding the reed and regluing the valve.

Or it could be the reed out of allignment that is OK with cooler weather, but in hotter temperatures the reed tongue may expand more than reed shoe and start hitting the sides.

Or it may be the rivet holding the reed is not punched hard enough and the reed is rotating. so it may have corrected itself, but is still too close to the walls and will buzz at some other time. Don't send it. The new Hohner you'll get, might be much worse.

You can quickly fix it. While you have it open, I'd look at what's underneath the buttons.

If it's synthetic material, I'd tear it off and replace with thick leather strips (if the action is wooden), or any other improvements that will make it better. Like smearing glue around all the joits to make them more airtight.

On the other hand, since you have perfect chance of sending it back and get your refund - do it, get Rochelle instead, and forget about the trouble for quite a while.

(unless you really dig that special Hohner sound)

Sara,

Don't mess with it, its a newly made instrument, it should be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, clearly a ratttling reed is not fit for purpose. Contact the supplier and ask them to arrange replacement, repair or whatever you feel is appropriate. As stated above, watch your warrenty, talk to them first.

Dave

It could be a reed out of place, hitting the walls of the slot.

Or it could be due to any of several other "maladjustments".

Unless you're more attracted to tinkering than to playing, I recommend you don't try di-it-yourself fixes at this stage in your development.

It could be a reed out of place, hitting the walls of the slot.

Or it could be due to any of several other "maladjustments".

Unless you're more attracted to tinkering than to playing, I recommend you don't try di-it-yourself fixes at this stage in your development.

Sage recommendation. Unfortunately Hohner Concertina is not going to comply.

It sold new for $150. Rochelle is $300. While it's twice more expencive, it's not like Ceili at $2000 vs. some antique Wheatstone at $4000.

I'd say, send it back for a refund, add $150 and get a Rochelle. Or ask for used one.

I recently bought used Jackie for $150+, very decent instrument.

I'd love to buy a nicer quality instrument, but unfortunately 150 was a little more then I should have paid. So unless I can get something better for the same price of cheaper I'm staying with what I've got, I just want it to sound as good as it can. I'll up grade in a few years when I'm playing well and have a little more money. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. The ratteling hasnt come back yet...knock on wood, maybe it will be ok...