The 38 Button Thomas Concertina

So, Jeff Thomas made it to the session last night with his latest creation; a 38 Button Anglo Concertina. Its a beautiful instrument that plays really well and has a beautiful tone. He also brought his 30 button Anglo and now that the bellows have played in a bit, it plays wonderfully. I keep begging Jeff to put some sound samples on his website because he has made a really great instrument. He is planning on getting some pictures of the 38 button up on his website soon.

Anyway, its times like this when I wonder how much I can get for a Kidney :). So many wonderful concertinas, so little time to earn enough money to buy them all :).

Anyone want a Castignari Button Accordion? :)

--

Bill

So, Jeff Thomas made it to the session last night with his latest creation; a 38 Button Anglo Concertina. Its a beautiful instrument that plays really well and has a beautiful tone. He also brought his 30 button Anglo and now that the bellows have played in a bit, it plays wonderfully. I keep begging Jeff to put some sound samples on his

His instruments look gorgeous. How would you characterize the sound?

But alas, no G/D, it appears from his Web site. Same with Kensington.

Jim,

I would say the sound of Jeff's instrument is spot on. It sounds very much like a concertina should. Very sweet but with an undercurrent of loneliness. I would say a bit less harsh than my Kensington. In general, Jeff's instruments are more traditional in their design than the Kensington. The Kensington has many innovative features and as a result it has some quirks (compared to more traditional instruments) that a user must adjust to. Most notable in my mind is the fact that Dana set the Kensington up so the high notes keep their volume up. This though means that when I first started playing the Kensington, I had to adjust my playing style so as not to blow out eardrums when I hit the high a's and b's :). Jeff's concertinas are balanced more like the other concertinas I have played. I don't think one style is necessarily better than the other, it probably comes down to individual preferences.

Another interesting contrast between the two instruments is the action of the systems. I think I said it before, and I will say it again, mine at least is just set up right. There is enough resistence so I know I am pressing the buttons, but not so much that it seems to take any effort to play (aside from the weight of the Kensington). In contrast, the action of the Thomas is a little stiffer, not hard by any means, but you know you are pressing the buttons. The best I can compare the Thomas to is the feel (but not the speed... the Thomas is faster) of my Marcus concertina.

Regarding the G/D, I asked him about that last night. We were discussing that there was probably a demand for the G/D since most of the newest makers are understandably concentrating on the Irish Market. Basically, Jeff sounded like he might be willing to take on a G/D. Obviously since I don't play a G/D and am not in the market for a new concertina at the moment (no matter how desperately I might want one, I just can't justify it financially right now) I can't get a commitment out of him to make one. But a G/D player might be able to accomplish it.

In any case, I keeping trying to get Jeff to put up some sound files so people can hear what his instruments really sound like. If I had remembered it, I would have brought my minidisk recorder so I could have gotten a good recording of it last night. I will start bring it with me so that I won't miss the next opportunity.

hmmm.. maybe if I sold my Marcus (though I have that out on loan) and my Castignari.. I will get close enough to justify buying a Thomas. Then when the Suttner comes in, I will be in Concertina heaven.

--

Bill

I met Jeff at Furlongs in E. Durham during Irish Arts Week last summer(about five or six in the morning, maybe seven!) and I played his thirty button, it looked beautiful, and played beautiful. Too bad I was so worn out, fatigued, and (still) thirsty to play it the way it should have been played. It really had that "honk" which is my favorite way of describing how a concertina should really sound(who came up with that description?). I am sure that his 38 button is just as beautiful. I have been very surprised all year at seeing how little he is mentioned. I guess that is going to change, eh??

Don

Well, Jeff hasn't made many concertinas yet, and I suspect that that is the reason that there is not more buzz about his instruments. After all, Kensington and Carroll Concertinas both sold concertinas to locals interested in Concertinas before they went public and I think that is why there is more buzz about those instruments.

--

Bill