Visit To Northern England - Pub Sessions?

Molly and I are looking forward to our first visit to England. We will be flying to Manchester on May 25 and touring Northern England until June 16. We are planning to rent a car and visit the Liverpool, Carlisle, Newcastle, York areas and surrounding towns and villages. Right now, our schedule is flexible.

I will bring my English concertina, and perhaps the Anglo, which I play for both Morris and for our Rig-A-Jig band. Molly will bring her melodeon and Appalachian dulcimer. We would like to take part in music sessions. Could anyone tell us about pub session dates in the area, or related web links?

It would be great to meet C-Netters while we are there.

Our email address is newmanmr@telus.net.

Thanks

Rod

:D If you're in the Whitby area there is a regular 'open' pub session ( singers and musicians ) on Sunday nights at 'The Station Pub' ( was the Tap & Spile) and another on Tuesday nights at 'The First In Last out'

Molly and I are looking forward to our first visit to England. We will be flying to Manchester on May 25 and touring Northern England until June 16. We are planning to rent a car and visit the Liverpool, Carlisle, Newcastle, York areas and surrounding towns and villages. Right now, our schedule is flexible.

Near Manchester:

There's an English/Irish Session, every Friday 9pm at the Ship Inn in Styall (a mile or so from the airport).

About 10 miles south of that, The Bull's Head in Mobberley, 1st and 3rd Wednesdays every month, again 9pm, mostly English

NE of Manchester - heading for Liverpool, Every thursday at 9m, mixed english/irish at the Junction, Rainford. and in the same direction from Manchester , but not so far out (ie E. of M6 motorway) every second Sunday of the month at 12 pm, there is a (mostly English) session also at the Crown Hotel, Standish.

Chris Jordan

ps feel free to get in touch nearer the time if you think you might make it to any of these and I'll give contact details.

Guest Old Leaky

Check out The Cumberland Arms in Byker, Newcastle. It's not far from the quayside so is pretty central, yet almost rural, with a fine location overlooking the Ouseburn Valley. There's a cracking Irish session on Wednesdays, an "anything but Irish" session on the first Tuesday of the month and then alternate weeks, and lots more besides. I could extol the virtues of this fine down to earth traditional pub, their changing menu of featured local and organic ales and ciders, and the genuinely warm welcome from staff, customers and musicians (all welcome and no airs or graces) but their web site does it better: www.thecumberlandarms.co.uk/

Theo Gibb (www.theboxplace.co.uk/) of this parish put me onto the place and I've being going off and on ever since despite me living 200 miles away!

"Not the White Horse Folk Club" on Monday - 20:30 , Forresters Arms, Beckside. - see "Not the White Horse FC"

Tuesday, - 20:30 - session at the "Monkswalk Inn" Highgate. First half playing from dots to bring on those who are just starting, second half sing/play around.

Wednesday, - 20:30 -Northumbrian/Irish session at the "Tiger Inn" Lairgate. (Be prepared to play along with the Northumbrian pipes & the Uilleann Pipes!! ) Tunes only.

Friday, 20:30 - session at the "Tiger Inn" Lairgate, mainly tunes, some songs

Sunday, 16:00 - 1st Sunday, session at the "Monks Walk" Highgate. Songs & tunes.

2nd Sunday, session at the "Tiger Inn" Lairgate. Songs & tunes.

3rd Sunday, session at "Hodgesons", Flemingate. Songs & tunes.

4th Sunday, session at the "Tiger Inn", Laigate. Songs & tunes.

All the above at Beverley, East Yorkshire.

Also see here :- Folktalk

here :- Filofolk

and here :- Folk Map

Enjoy your visit

regards

Jake

Check out The Cumberland Arms in Byker, Newcastle.

And many more eg:

Thursday night "Egypt Cottage" City Road Lots of young people at this one, it can get pretty exciting!

Friday night "White Swan" Greenside, on the west side of Gateshead

Monday - Tanners Arms, Newcastle, near the west end of Byker Bridge

Sunday lunchtime - Tap & Spile Morpeth

There is also at least two in Dyrham City on (I think) wednesday and thursday