Barnet(t?) Samuel

Daniel Hersh

Would the primary Jones vs. Nickolds indication be the riveted vs. "G" hook and lever?

Greg,

Both that and the "nibbled" (not drilled) clamping plate holding the reeds onto the shoes. But Nickolds Anglos often have other eccentricities too; like the holes in the action board, for the buttons, often being drilled straight through (not "blind" as they usually are) ... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I found a reference to them here, but it doesn't say one way or the other.

Daniel - We need reports before I can add more info into things there. Reports of dealers labels on identified makers instruments are always welcome.

But I notice that the palm rest has a 'steel' stamp on it. I've seen Nickolds with stampings on the palm rest, a N&S motif, but did Jones ever stamp them there, Stephen?

I notice that the palm rest has a 'steel' stamp on it. I've seen Nickolds with stampings on the palm rest, a N&S motif, but did Jones ever stamp them there, Stephen?

Wes,

It's another little detail that makes me suspect that it may well be a Nickolds, but it's hard to be sure with that fretwork. I'd still like to see what's inside it before I commit myself ... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures here of a Barnet Samuel 5" 20 key anglo, just received for some TLC. It's very Lachenal, stamped on the right hand end hand support with the English Made and reed frame pattern, though because of its size, the support is too thin to stamp "Steel Reeds" on. Action too is typical Lachenal. The right hand end has B S & Co fretted into the pattern, and the reed quality is excellent - a very loud little box indeed. Dave Prebble has previously mentioned a 5" Lachenal in his possession with a good, loud tone - is this a feature of the size??

Edited by Billcro

Some pictures here of a Barnett Samuel 5" 20 key anglo, just received for some TLC. It's very Lachenal, stamped on the right hand end hand support with the English Made and reed frame pattern, though because of its size, the support is too thin to stamp "Steel Reeds" on. Action too is typical Lachenal. The right hand end has B S & Co fretted into the pattern, and the reed quality is excellent - a very loud little box indeed. Dave Prebble has previously mentioned a 5" Lachenal in his possession with a good, loud tone - is this a feature of the size??

Edited by Billcro

Some pictures here of a Barnett Samuel 5" 20 key anglo, just received for some TLC. It's very Lachenal, stamped on the right hand end hand support with the English Made and reed frame pattern, though because of its size, the support is too thin to stamp "Steel Reeds" on. Action too is typical Lachenal. The right hand end has B S & Co fretted into the pattern, and the reed quality is excellent - a very loud little box indeed. Dave Prebble has previously mentioned a 5" Lachenal in his possession with a good, loud tone - is this a feature of the size??

The one I have has 'L & Co, cut in the fretwork and appears pretty much identical to the one you have Bill. Partly a function of the size I would say ( minis do tend to be fairly loud) but in the main part due to the quality of reeds used.

That one of mine is certainly a very loud box and will 'outpunch' many a Jeffries.

Compare Bills box with the pictures on Morgana's site 5 Inch Lachenal

Regards to all

Dave Prebble

After comparing dimensions and other fascinating features with Mr Prebble, it became apparent that, most importantly, they are smashing little boxes, but secondly that my over active fretworking imagination had been at work.... Rather than B, S & Co, it reads a rather more boring L & Co.