Auction Hijacked Jefferies Maccann G Tuned Duet

squeezora

I woke up this morning and found my auction for my Jefferies duet was ended early. I also received 3 second chance offers for my own item! I relisted as a three day listing and will only sell it to the highest bidder and, of course, there are no others like it.

I'm sorry if this inconvenienced anyone who was bidding. It was a disaster to me.

Juliette

In this case someone had sent me a notice that there was another instrument identical to mine offered on eBay. This came to me though eBay! When I followed up on the email, it asked me for my password which I stupidly gave only to realize later that it was a scam.

Yet when I tried to notify the bidders on the canceled auction that there was a scam going on, eBay would not allow me to contact them! Very, very frustrating.

Edited by squeezora

I woke up this morning and found my auction for my Jefferies duet was ended early. I also received 3 second chance offers for my own item! I relisted as a three day listing and will only sell it to the highest bidder and, of course, there are no others like it.

I'm sorry if this inconvenienced anyone who was bidding. It was a disaster to mek.

Juliette

In this case someone had sent me a notice that there was another instrument identical to mine offered on eBay. This came to me though eBay! Yet when I tried to notify the bidders that there was a scam going on, eBay would not allow me to contact them! Very, very frustrating.

Hi Juliette,

This does sound like a disaster, both for you, and the way in which the system works.

I've just checked, and can't find your re-listing.

Peter.

In this case someone had sent me a notice that there was another instrument identical to mine offered on eBay. This came to me though eBay! When I followed up on the email, it asked me for my password which I stupidly gave only to realize later that it was a scam.

Yet when I tried to notify the bidders on the canceled auction that there was a scam going on, eBay would not allow me to contact them! Very, very frustrating.

Are you sure it came through ebay? Usually the scammers make a copy of the ebay page so that it looks like an ebay message. Ebay advise people to always check their messages in My Ebay to confirm that any e-mail is genuine. They also advise that they will never ask for your password.

Ebay and Paypal are also virtually useless in terms of response to scams.

Unlucky for you, these scammers do seem to be getting more skilled. A timely lesson for the rest of us.

Edited by Paul Read

Are you sure it came through ebay? Usually the scammers make a copy of the ebay page so that it looks like an ebay message. Ebay advise people to always check their messages in My Ebay to confirm that any e-mail is genuine. They also advise that they will never ask for your password.

Ebay and Paypal are also virtually useless in terms of response to scams.

Unlucky for you, these scammers do seem to be getting more skilled. A timely lesson for the rest of us.

Yes the message showed up in " MY EBAY " , so it came directly through eBay! Yet eBay blocked me from notifying the bidders that the scam was going on!!!!!!!!!!!

And eBay does demand your password to go to "MY EBAY " AND therefore I feel it is NOT HONEST FOR EBAY TO TELL US THAT either. And Ebay asks you for your password for a number of other reasons, so you get so used to typing in your password that it is sort of like a knee jerk reaction to do so.

Edited by squeezora

And Ebay asks you for your password for a number of other reasons, so you get so used to typing in your password that it is sort of like a knee jerk reaction to do so.

Yes, that's the age-old battle of information security. Lots of eBay (and other) passwords get stolen through fake sites. Firefox 2.0 has excellent security measures against such sites (Internet Explorer 7 to a lesser extent).

Yes the message showed up in " MY EBAY " , so it came directly through eBay! Yet eBay blocked me from notifying the bidders that the scam was going on!!!!!!!!!!!

And eBay does demand your password to go to "MY EBAY " so that is not true either. And Ebay asks you for your password for a number of other reasons, so you get so used to typing in your password that it is sort of like a knee jerk reaction to do so.

It looks like the scammer used the "ask seller a question system" and used the question to ask for your ebay password. Any message coming through that way would be from a member, not from ebay. That's probably how he got you. Ironically, they stop you contacting the bidder's because they want to prevent scams!

I'm assuming you gave out your password in response to the message. You would, of course need to use a password to get to MyEbay. That's what the password is for - so that others can't get into your MyEbay!

Good luck resolving it.

Edited by Paul Read

It looks like the scammer used the "ask seller a question system" and used the question to ask for your ebay password. Any message coming through that way would be from a member, not from ebay. That's probably how he got you. Ironically, they stop you contacting the bidder's because they want to prevent scams!

I'm assuming you gave out your password in response to the message. You would, of course need to use a password to get to MyEbay. That's what the password is for - so that others can't get into your MyEbay!

Hello Paul,

This is the email I got.

----------------

Hello,

my name is Andy Snapp. I am interested in your item. The problem is that I am a little confused because I've seen another item exactly like yours. Please take a look:

http://3354296932/?www.ebay.com/UserId=&am...p;errmsg=8.html

Please inform me of your last price.

--------------

When I went to the site address, it was the same typical eBay sign in page. Or re-sign in page. With the normal messege "To protect your account, please re-enter your password."

All this happened on My eBay and everything looked legitimate.

I just wanted to warn everyone, so this doesn't happen to anyone else. These thieves just get smarter and smarter.

Happy holidays,

Juliette

[Hello,

my name is Andy Snapp. I am interested in your item. The problem is that I am a little confused because I've seen another item exactly like yours. Please take a look:

--------------

Juliette, when I tried to check out this link but my internet provider (Comcast) blocked it from opening and warned me that this was an unsafe site. They do go overboard however as they block Jim Lucas' Dannish provider it seems once a month or so. I'd be hard pressed to trust any communication from Ebay or one of it's buyers questions. Ugly business this. Sorry it happened to you.

Edited by Mark Evans

quote name='squeezora' post='49468' date='Dec 19 2006, 11:10 AM']

Yes that link definately looks dodgy - it's not going to ebay.

It's recommended that you don't click on any link provided in an email (what you get is not necessarily what you see !) but use a bookmark or type in ebay's address and get there (or wherever) independently.

Good luck with the new auction anyway.

Chris

Be Careful. Hindsight after the fact doesn't help, but maybe a warning for someone else.

The link to the scammers website created this warning:

This is a reported phishing website

http://199.238.130.100/?www.ebay.com/UserI...p;errmsg=8.html

Internet Explorer has determined that this is a reported phishing website. Phishing websites impersonate other sites and attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.

Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information

Online phishing (pronounced fishing) is a way to trick you into revealing personal or financial information through an e-mail message or website. Phishing Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing or fraudulent websites.

For more information, see Phishing in Internet Explorer Help.

Report that this is not a phishing website.

Thanks

Leo

--------------

When I went to the site address, it was the same typical eBay sign in page. Or re-sign in page. With the normal messege "To protect your account, please re-enter your password."

I just wanted to warn everyone, so this doesn't happen to anyone else. These thieves just get smarter and smarter.

Happy holidays,

Juliette

You have to admit, he was pretty clever. All that happened on what LOOKED like Ebay. I suspect he would have got me too. Thanks for reporting it Juliette, it's a good warning for the rest of us.

Merry Christmas and good luck with the sale.

Paul

----------------

Hello,

--------------

Juliette,

He's been a busy boy, using exactly the same approach on this auction:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:wJCvO...t=clnk&cd=1

Hope that ebay can do something about it.

Peter.

All that happened on what LOOKED like Ebay.
The important difference to note is in the URL: The host name/address (the part right after http:// and before the next /) is a numerical address, and not anything ending in .ebay.com. They stick the parameter ?www.ebay.com after the address to confuse. Always watch that address bar when entering a password.
It's back up at 1605UTC under featured auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFFERIES-CONCERTINA-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

The irony here is that if I had been a potential buyer who never heard of the seller and was not following this discussion, I would avoid bidding: The explicit statement "RELISTED DUE TO SCAM ARTIST CLOSING MY AUCTION EARLY" and the seller's insistence that it's the real thing and not a scam would send up a whole lot of red flags. I would also wonder about the violation of eBay terms of service: There's the address of a non-ebay commercial website within the auction description; it's not a clickable link, but it is within eBay's definition of a link. Here's what you are allowed to link to within an auction description: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that this happened, and I hope the phisher didn't get a chance cause any further damage.

Edited by Theodore Kloba

I would avoid bidding: The explicit statement "RELISTED DUE TO SCAM ARTIST CLOSING MY AUCTION EARLY" and the seller's insistence that it's the real thing and not a scam would send up a whole lot of red flags. I would also wonder about the near-violation of ebay terms of service: There's mention of a non-ebay commercial website (albeit not a link) within the auction description.

Hello Theo,

Thank you for your advice. That is a tough one to call. It might be scary to people who had seen it on, then off, then on again without an explanation. I think the first red flag was that it was ended early and is now back on, but there is nothing I can do about that.

I only got the idea to put my website on there because I saw it being done in other eBay ads. It was lucky I did because one of the bidders who received a second chance offer used it to confirm its legitimacy. I was able to warn him against it.

Thank you very much for the information,

Happy holidays,

Juliette

Hello Paul,

This is the email I got.

----------------

Hello,

--------------

Happy holidays,

Juliette

I assume you have changed the password on your account by now?

I'd think that ebay would be interested in this, since the guy who sent the question would have been required to have an account in order to send it!

john d

www.ebay.com/UserId=&co_partnerId=2&siteid=0&pageType=-1&pa1=&i1=-1&UsingSSL=1&bshowgif=0&favoritenav=&ru=&pp=&errmsg=8.html

Internet Explorer has determined that this is a reported phishing website. Phishing websites impersonate other sites and attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information.

I received this when trying to connect to that website.